Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be allowed
NO 109 64.50%
YES 60 35.50%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 08:35 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Further, from your link:

When can a case be removed to the federal court?

A defendant can remove a case from the state court system only if the case is one in which the federal court has “original jurisdiction.” The federal court has original jurisdiction if a federal question is involved, including when treaties or a Constitutional issue is involved such as with civil rights matters.
Do you get it, yet?

Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
This is why Paypal will eventually fail.

They should stick to the business they know and forget about trying to adjust the world to their whims; their stock is up 80 cents this year.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 AM

Examples of Defendants' removals:

http://madisonrecord.com/stories/510...-federal-court (SWIC is a community college - this was a local and state issue, removed to federal court)

And here's a lawsuit brought specifically to state court citing state law that was removed to federal court and settled there:
Discrimination lawsuit removed to federal court, dismissed | West Virginia Record

Old 04-12-2016, 09:16 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Wow. I some how made it all the way through High School without getting naked after gym class. In fact, NONE of the guys in the locker room stripped down past their skivvies. Weird.

I didn't. Swim team. Changed 5 days a week in front of guys. Now I could claim I am a chick and hang out with the ladies. Damn, I really missed that one. "Yes Mr. Principle. I identify as a female with a lesbian sexual preference. Too tough, law states I can go watch the girls team strip!"

But let me ask a oft-repeated statement, and I will bold it:

"How many of the people currently in an uproar and SUPPORTING Paypal's and other peoples silly excuse to not do business in these states went out of their way to boycott or call for companies to remove themselves from New York after Governor Cuomo said that gun owners and conservatives aren't welcome in the state?"

Old 04-12-2016, 09:35 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're not comprehending the effect of the federal statute that gives defendant's the right of removal. If you disagree, take it up with the US DOJ.

That was a direct quote from the NJ link YOU provided. If you feel the information is incorrect, it was probably a poor choice to use as your example, and you should take it up with the state of NJ.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
That was a direct quote from the NJ link YOU provided. If you feel the information is incorrect, it was probably a poor choice to use as your example, and you should take it up with the state of NJ.
The way you're interpreting it is incorrect. Read my latest post. It provides examples of local/state claims filed in state courts that were removed to federal court:
Quote:

http://madisonrecord.com/stories/510...-federal-court (SWIC is a community college - this was a local and state issue, removed to federal court)

And here's a lawsuit brought specifically to state court citing state law that was removed to federal court and settled there:
Discrimination lawsuit removed to federal court, dismissed | West Virginia Record

Old 04-12-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Former SWIC employee (SWIC is a community college - this was a local and state issue, removed to federal court)...

From the link:

...The defendant argues that removal is proper because the federal court has jurisdiction over the plaintiff’s claims of the Illinois Human Rights Act, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Are those pieces of legislation bolded State or Federal?

Quote:
...And here's a lawsuit brought specifically to state court citing state law that was removed to federal court and settled there:

Details there are pretty slim, other than it was removed, then dismissed.

Still no data to back up your assertion that "nearly all" of these cases end up in Federal Court, however.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:46 AM

Quote:
The way you're interpreting it is incorrect...

Says...... you?

Old 04-12-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
From the link:

...The defendant argues that removal is proper because the federal court has jurisdiction over the plaintiff’s claims of the Illinois Human Rights Act, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993.

Are those pieces of legislation bolded State or Federal?
See the world Illinois in there?

And, yes, the lawsuit was REMOVED to federal court.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:55 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,218,597 times
The NC law is stupid in my opinion, but the hypocritical response from corporations is even worse.

NC enacts a dumb law = horrible backwater! No business there until they bow to tolerance and LGBTQ demands!

Countries who have truly horrible human rights abuses? Who practically enslave women and execute gay people? Oh, that's just a cultural-religious thing...shouldn't judge them. Business as usual.

Or like with the vetoed GA religious liberty bill. Corporations and businesses used their freedom to not do business with an entity/people with whom they disagree...in order to prevent businesses from doing just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies