Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 07:59 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Bryan Adams has canceled his concert in MS.

Bryan Adams Cancels Mississippi Show Over State's 'Religious Freedom' Law - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 08:18 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then why the need for this law? The 2014 MS RFRA allowed for people to claim "religious belief" when denying service to people. In fact they could have done so before the RFRA since there are no state LGBT protections to start with.
Good question that has gone unanswered, you expect hundreds of examples but we have yet to see any.

Obviously this is just being done to appease the religious right constituency, a solution in search of a problem.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:23 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
I'm glad they gays have something to protest about. The lack of face time on TV I'm sure has been a problem for them.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:44 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm glad they gays have something to protest about. The lack of face time on TV I'm sure has been a problem for them.
Actually North Carolina and Mississippi are doing a fine job bringing this to the forefront in national news, Indiana has been rather passive since they elevated these issues with their legislation

Old 04-11-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Good question that has gone unanswered, you expect hundreds of examples but we have yet to see any.

Obviously this is just being done to appease the religious right constituency, a solution in search of a problem.
In addition to that MS has a law that bans the use of foreign law in courts. Biblical law is not American law the bible was written in Hebrew and Greek. So how can someone claim biblical law as an excuse in court in MS? Wouldn't that be in violation of the no foreign law law?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:24 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
You know this bill only apply to wedding vendors of same sex wedding that have religion conflicts, what that, three people in the whole state

Old 04-11-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
You know this bill only apply to wedding vendors of same sex wedding that have religion conflicts, what that, three people in the whole state
But this goes beyond vendors and weddings. It allows government employees to deny wedding licenses, and state funded orgs to deny adoption services to gays. It also covers doctors and fertility services.

And the 2014 MS RFRA has no such stipulations. It allows denial of any service, employment, and housing based on "religious belief".

Old 04-11-2016, 12:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
No, the Mississippi bill only apply to vendor of same sex, religion belief

Old 04-11-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
No, the Mississippi bill only apply to vendor of same sex, religion belief
There are TWO Mississippi laws. The new one which allows denial of service to gays for wedding services in businesses, and by government officials. It also allows state funded orgs to decline "to provide any adoption or foster care service, or related service, based upon or in a manner consistent with a sincerely held religious
belief or moral conviction described in Section 2 of this act."

AND it allows doctors to decline " to participate in the provision of psychological, counseling, or fertility services based upon a sincerely held religious belief or moral conviction described in
Section 2 of this act."

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/doc...9/HB1523SG.pdf

Now there is also the 2014 state RFRA that says that the government can not limit "the ability to act or the refusal to act in a manner that is substantially motivated by one's sincerely held religious belief, whether or not the exercise is compulsory or central to a larger system of religious belief."

This includes a provision saying that "State action or an action by any person based on state action shall not burden a person's right to exercise of religion, even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability unless it is demonstrated that applying the burden to that person's exercise of religion in that particular instance is both of the following:
(i) Essential to further a compelling governmental interest;
(ii) The least restrictive means of furthering that compelling governmental interest."
http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/doc...9/SB2681PS.pdf

This in effect means that anyone can claim that serving anyone anything is against their beliefs and unless the state could prove that there is no other way for the states interest to be served they can not be forced to do so. However race, sex, religion, age are already covered in federal laws.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:19 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
As a business owner I would refuse service to anyone who disrupts my business because it is damaging my client base, my livelihood. Regardless of homor or hetero or other. Ex. drunk comes in and causes a ruckus when my place is already full with clients who behave properly. Crux of Christianity is love towards all humans. Hard to believe a genuine Christian would tell someone I cannot serve you because you are this/that. I recall the parable of Jesus and the prostitute to demonstrate Christians do not differentiate.

I do disapprove of all power either in the hands of the patron or of the business. A patron is always free to choose where to expend their monies and a business should also do so when it comes to accepting money. Religion should not even be an issue. A business is private property and the owner should be able to set their own standards.

Last edited by Felix C; 04-11-2016 at 01:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies