Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were me, would you participate in Obamacare?
Yes 9 37.50%
No 15 62.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 10:48 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,294 times

Advertisements

As a healthy mid to late 20s single male that makes more than the amount to qualify for Obamacare subsidies, I find it beyond annoying that Obamacare wants to astronomically increase my rates to subsidize the care of older, sicker Americans; many (though not all) who are sick due to lifestyle choices of their own choosing, such as a lifetime of poor diets, little exercise, etc.

The "success" of Obamacare is tied to how many young professional millennials sign up for the program and the tax penalties the government can successfully take from us if we don't.

I have not participated in Obamacare, and made the most exemptions on my taxes that I could so that the penalty that comes out of any tax refund I would have otherwise received would be minimal, if I get a refund at all. If the IRS can't get the full tax penalty from a refund I would have otherwise received, they presently have no way of getting it from me.

I still qualify for catastrophic short term plans off the exchange for about $50 a month, 4 times less than what Obamacare wanted. 20% coinsurance/$5,000 deductible, max $2 million.

I find it interesting that the whole "the world doesn't owe you anything!" and "entitlement!" attacks go away when it is the older generation individuals on the left wing that feel entitled to my money for their healthcare and the ponzi scheme that is social security payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 10:49 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
As a healthy mid to late 20s single male that makes more than the amount to qualify for Obamacare subsidies, I find it beyond annoying that Obamacare wants to astronomically increase my rates to subsidize the care of older, sicker Americans; many (though not all) who are sick due to lifestyle choices of their own choosing, such as a lifetime of poor diets, little exercise, etc.

The "success" of Obamacare is tied to how many young professional millennials sign up for the program and the tax penalties the government can successfully take from us if we don't.

I have not participated in Obamacare, and made the most exemptions on my taxes that I could so that the penalty that comes out of any tax refund I would have otherwise received would be minimal, if I get a refund at all. If the IRS can't get the full tax penalty from a refund I would have otherwise received, they presently have no way of getting it from me.

I still qualify for catastrophic short term plans off the exchange for about $50 a month, 4 times less than what Obamacare wanted. 20% coinsurance/$5,000 deductible, max $2 million.

I find it interesting that the whole "the world doesn't owe you anything!" and "entitlement!" attacks go away when it is the older generation individuals on the left wing that feel entitled to my money for their healthcare and the ponzi scheme that is social security payments.
But...But..what if you get pregnant?

Yes, the purpose of Obamacare is to get young healthy middle class and above males to subsidize practically everyone else.

People like you can destroy Obamacare or force them to do something politically damaging...raise the fines dramatically.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:59 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Um... Obamacare isn't a plan, you know?

Old 04-06-2016, 11:05 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Please stop this myth that you are paying for the overweight, cigarette smoking crowd.

Those people are doing you a favor by dying earlier and having shorter end-stage major health care issues.

The way health care in this country works is you subsidize people who live long, relatively healthy lives that require elderly care related services (Alzheimer's, dementia, skilled nursing care facility stays) which cost so much money numbers don't go that high.

Not that you should blame anyone per se. This is a system where claims processors receive blenders and refrigerators for denying the most claims (effectively forcing the sick to suffer or outright die).

Old 04-06-2016, 11:05 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

Yes, the purpose of Obamacare is to get young healthy middle class and above males to subsidize practically everyone else.

People like you can destroy Obamacare or force them to do something politically damaging...raise the fines dramatically.
Yes young and healthy individuals subsidize people who are either old, unhealthy or both, do you know of a health care plan that operates differently.

Do you know of any plan that doesn't have a large majority of healthy people.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Um... Obamacare isn't a plan, you know?
There is a plan... it's just not a health care plan. Obamacare is only a portion of the plan.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

True. As it stands, they can raise the fines as high as they want but the only collection method they have is taking away your tax refund if you have one. That is the law. I wonder if they will resort to more drastic collection measures in the future.

The only way the IRS can collect the Obamacare penalty is by deducting it from the refund you'd otherwise be due. If you don't have a refund coming to you, then the penalty amount simply carries forward to future years, presumably accumulating interest but otherwise being practically unenforceable. Congress could theoretically change those provisions in the future and allow collection of back taxes owed, but for now, IRS power to enforce penalties is quite limited.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:14 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Please stop this myth that you are paying for the overweight, cigarette smoking crowd.

Those people are doing you a favor by dying earlier and having shorter end-stage major health care issues.

The way health care in this country works is you subsidize people who live long, relatively healthy lives that require elderly care related services (Alzheimer's, dementia, skilled nursing care facility stays) which cost so much money numbers don't go that high.

Not that you should blame anyone per se. This is a system where claims processors receive blenders and refrigerators for denying the most claims (effectively forcing the sick to suffer or outright die).

Regarding the bold - when do you think we should look at the cost structure of why those numbers are so high? How much does it cost to maintain government standards, and pay for the overhead that involves government entities?

Old 04-06-2016, 11:21 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:

MY bro in law balked and balked finally got on it- he died a year later- via stroke-- was healthy jogger mountain climber etc,. He falls, a stroke- So wifey calls 911- they send him via medevac to surgery etc about a week- in the hospital ICU but alas did not make it- So the bills come- $54,000 for the chopper $115K for the hospital stay $32K for the surgeon etc - not sure about the others yet- and my sis is SOOOOO happy to have her ins... via Obamacare-- her final co pay was about $4,000

you decide-

Old 04-06-2016, 11:32 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times
Quote:

Great question. I only wish the purpose was to consider the answer carefully, as perhaps more people should.

Been a while since I could claim I was in my twenties. Given "My Cement Theory" as explained in that thread, maybe just maybe this is not yet a lost cause...

I am happy to say that when I did wear a younger man's clothes, I made a lot of money, paid more in taxes than most people have had the "pleasure," more in taxes than most average-income Americans have even earned as income. At the time, me and all the other younger up-and-coming income earners who took advantage and benefited from high income opportunities paid the most in taxes. So far, I don't think I've explained anything that really needs explaining except perhaps to point out that I've been exactly where you are today, making lots of money and paying lots of taxes.

Also like you, I paid all that taxes to all manner of supporting and sustaining the assistance for the elderly, to receive Medicare benefits, Social Security income, etc., but also our military (whether I agreed or not), our political process (whether I was happy with it or not), U.I. whether I was unemployed or not, etc...

Now..., I am approaching the age where I will be looking to Medicare to help with my medical expenses that no doubt will get higher as I get older and my income is no longer what it was. Come to find out, companies are not as interested in hiring older folks or paying them like I was paid once upon a time, when I was a younger man.

Accordingly, it's always a little difficult for me to hear this from young people who feel put out to pay forward, as all generations have for the most part done before them. Never mind for a moment that even young people develop illnesses that no one can afford treatments for. Even young people can be rear-ended by an unlicensed no-insurance driver and end up in a wheel chair for who knows how long, if not forever. Who pays to take care of you when that happens Mr. 20-year old?

Me again! Because I am still paying taxes, to help finance the ACA and all the rest that we Americans want or need in these regards, from quality education to fighting battles in foreign lands I've never seen. I don't get to pick-and-choose what I want to pay taxes for. Who does? I do, however, recognize what our democracy requires of us in these regards, and whether I necessarily agree or whether I just know of no option, I pay those taxes.

In the same way, I think younger people need to be less self-centered and do what they can to overcome that tendency toward believing they are invincible. Funny how young people very often really don't realize, they too are going to get old someday...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies