Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 05:04 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Richard Lindzen? Really? Richard Lindzen | DeSmogBlog

Earth's record monthly heat streak has hit 11 months in a row -- a record in itself.....According to NOAA climate scientist Jessica Blunden, the 11 heat records in a row smashes a streak of 10 set in 1944. Climate scientists say this is a result of El Nino, along with relentless, man-made global warming.

Earth's hot streak continues for a record 11 months | CTV News

Old 04-19-2016, 05:30 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
One man's source is another man's shill.

I respect M.I.T. I have heard of this dude before. I don't follow his blog but he didn't seem to say anything controversial... Unless one belongs in group 3. Lol

Old 04-19-2016, 05:31 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Interesting how much politics comes into play on so many issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwqIy8Ikv-c
You forgot the disclaimer: This video is paid for and brought to you by your friendly fossil fuel industry funded political think tank. Relax, be happy, don't worry.... and don't forget to burn even more oil and coal.

Edited to add: Lindzen is paid by the industry-funded conservative political think tank the CATO Institute, but this particular political propaganda video is actually paid for by the online "Prager University" (not an actual University)

Dennis Prager - RationalWiki

Last edited by Ceist; 04-19-2016 at 05:49 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 06:22 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
You forgot the disclaimer: This video is paid for and brought to you by your friendly fossil fuel industry funded political think tank. Relax, be happy, don't worry.... and don't forget to burn even more oil and coal.
*Yawn*
But there's no conflict of interest at all with the BILLIONS of dollars shelled out YEARLY by the government for more climate change research predicated on alarmism.
Give me a break.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
*Yawn*
But there's no conflict of interest at all with the BILLIONS of dollars shelled out YEARLY by the government for more climate change research predicated on alarmism.
Give me a break.
It's a losing battle talking to group 3. Lol. They don't see their own fallacies.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
One man's source is another man's shill.

I respect M.I.T. I have heard of this dude before. I don't follow his blog but he didn't seem to say anything controversial... Unless one belongs in group 3. Lol
Lindzen does not represent the views of M.I.T.
MIT Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change

The video is from Dennis Prager's fake online "University"- Prager U, not M.I.T.
Do you respect Prager U?

https://www.prageru.com/what-we-do

Old 04-19-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Lindzen does not represent the views of M.I.T.
MIT Joint Program on the Science and Policy of Global Change

The video is from Dennis Prager's fake online "University". Prager U, not M.I.T.
Do you respect Prager U?
Not prager but he wasn't the one making the video.

A professor doesn't have to 'represent' their employer. It's called free thought... Those tricky things that alarmists and deniers don't do. Think for themselves outside echo chambers.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:12 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:

Edited to add: Lindzen is paid by the industry-funded conservative political think tank the CATO Institute, but this particular political propaganda video is actually paid for by the online "Prager University" (not an actual University)

Dennis Prager - RationalWiki
Do your part. Eschew cars or anything that uses or is made by fossil fuel using companies.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:

A professor doesn't have to 'represent' their employer. It's called free thought... Those tricky things that alarmists and deniers don't do. Think for themselves outside echo chambers.
His attempt at trying to discredit Lindzen borders on sheer desperation.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:

Lindzen is no longer employed by MIT, he is retired. Emeritus status. I didn't say he had to represent the views of MIT. I just said he didn't represent the views of MIT. Or the views of any of the major science institutions worldwide whose views are based on the consilience of evidence. Lindzen's views are not based on evidence, they are contrary to the evidence, which is why I would call him a contrarian rather than a sceptic.

Lindzen made the video for "Prager University" - an online ultra conservative 'echo chamber' website misleadingly calling itself a 'University'.

He is also now employed by the CATO Institute- an industry funded conservative political 'think tank'.

He has often promoted the views of industry and conservative politics rather than science. For example, Lindzen also promoted the views of the Tobacco industry that smoking wasn't harmful.

Last edited by Ceist; 04-19-2016 at 07:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies