Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 07:44 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times

Advertisements

I love the 'those who don't understand science' claim to credibility.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:45 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
... and then there's scientific Theory supported by a consilience of observed evidence.
I love the bolded...

People such as this poster can no longer justify the use of the word "consensus", as most people with even an inkling of scientific knowledge know the absolute absurdity of using it in conjunction with any scientific endeavor.

So they pick a synonym in the hopes that it will sound different enough to fool the idiots that don't know any better.

Nice try.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:45 PM

617 posts, read 349,172 times
I remember when the consensus of science was the the earth revolved around the sun or that the earth was flat.

These absolutely crazy global warming idiots are so frickin' clueless, it makes one's head spin.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:52 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
I think the point shown by the investigations so far was that Exxon wasn't ignoring the science at all. They made their future business and risk management plans based on the science...
Absolutely false, again it's expensive to extract CO2 from natural gas.
Quote:
Natuna Gas Field - Offshore Technology

A 1980, 50-50 venture in Natuna D-Alpha area, East Natuna, between Pertamina (Indonesia's state-owned petroleum company) and Exxon Mobil Corp of the US, didn't result in production. The 71% CO2 content made gas extraction from the huge 1.3-trillion-cubic-metre area expensive, and development difficult. Despite Exxon's $400m and Pertamina's $60m investments, the Indonesian Government terminated its contract with Exxon in 2007 leaving Pertamina in charge

Old 04-08-2016, 07:55 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
I love the bolded...

People such as this poster can no longer justify the use of the word "consensus", as most people with even an inkling of scientific knowledge know the absolute absurdity of using it in conjunction with any scientific endeavor.

So they pick a synonym in the hopes that it will sound different enough to fool the idiots that don't know any better.

Nice try.
So you don't know what consilience means? That's why there is a scientific consensus. Because of a consilience of evidence. Converging evidence from many different lines of investigation across many different fields is the very essence of science endeavor. How is that an 'absolute absurdity'?

http://riaus.org.au/articles/consilience-in-science/

Last edited by Ceist; 04-08-2016 at 08:06 PM..

Old 04-08-2016, 07:57 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Hopefully the secondary market for co2 for agriculture and chemical production can lead to a less expensive extraction process.

Good post as always.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Not false at all. You appear to be trying to twist the south-east Asia gas field project to use as a red herring while ignoring the rest of the evidence. That's the sort of dishonest tactic you'll find on a conspiracy blog.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:30 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
So you don't know what consilience means? That's why there is a scientific consensus. Because of a consilience of evidence. Converging evidence from many different lines of investigation across many different fields is the very essence of science endeavor. How is that an 'absolute absurdity'?

The Importance of Consilience in Science - RiAusRiAus - Australia
The statements are synonymous, if you please.

A consilience of evidence....

A consensus of scientists....

Trust me, I know exactly what it means. The fact that a "scientific consensus" is two lies for the price of one has damaged this particular statement to the point of making people like you have to find something else for you to state in forums like this. The absolute absurdity is is use of those two words together. Science does not work by consensus... never has, and never will. Anyone that has worked in the sciences knows this. Only politicians and idiots use these terms. Real scientists don't.

And I've never actually denied said evidence, now have I? Find even one of my posts that say such, I dare you. What I am skeptical about is the hyperbole behind said data's interpretations. Not once have I stated the climate isn't changing, or that man doesn't have a malevolent effect.

Why is it so hard to swallow that there just might be learned people of science (like me) that has issues with the hype and politics concerning a scientific topic?

It seems to me that those accusing "deniers" of using their religion to justify their stance are emulating those very people by crying blasphemy when someone doesn't accept their stance verbatim.

Hypocrisy at it finest.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
You're basing this on single email sent by one person that hasn't worked for Exxon for a long time.
Nope.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:42 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Meh......They would just plead insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies