Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 04:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,919,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I say she took the opportunity. I don't feel sorry for a multi-millionaire governor who denies health coverage to over a million families because he didn't get his latte. Nope.
Nobody said you should feel sorry for him. However, there was nothing productive about her outburst, except that her video went viral and got her some attention. The woman who stood in front of Paul Ryan and humbly explained why she needed Food Stamps got my attention without using profanity and disrupting a business. The Speaker even said "I was wrong."

It's too late to edit my first comment on this thread but, although I've always been a Democrat and a strong believer in caring for the needy, our Constitution gives us the right to peaceful assembly, not tantrums in restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 04:46 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,699,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Nobody said you should feel sorry for him. However, there was nothing productive about her outburst, except that her video went viral and got her some attention. The woman who stood in front of Paul Ryan and humbly explained why she needed Food Stamps got my attention without using profanity and disrupting a business. The Speaker even said "I was wrong."

It's too late to edit my first comment on this thread but, although I've always been a Democrat and a strong believer in caring for the needy, our Constitution gives us the right to peaceful assembly, not tantrums in restaurants.
I think she took the opportunity when it presented itself. I think he should be shamed. Remember when Chris Christie was booed? Do you feel sorry for him too? These guys are working for the people of their state. Rick Scott can buy a Starbucks and not miss the money.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:53 PM

3,535 posts, read 2,854,417 times
Quote:
And I want to stop subsidizing the retirements of retirees in Florida who get unlimited health coverage when they only contributed 13% to 41% of the health coverage they are receiving. Put them in the same circumstances as this woman.
I hate to break your fairy tale, but the Forbes story leaves out a very important fact (like most story's involving money or statistics), If the money paid in had been invested in even a moderately safe investment vehicle for 40 years it would be worth significantly more than what would be needed for retirement health care by most retiree's.
The fact is the gov. chose to spend the money in what is basically a ponzi scheme.
Hardly the fault of current retiree's, who were promised life time benefits.

bill

Old 04-07-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I hate to break your fairy tale, but the Forbes story leaves out a very important fact (like most story's involving money or statistics), If the money paid in had been invested in even a moderately safe investment vehicle for 40 years it would be worth significantly more than what would be needed for retirement health care by most retiree's.
The fact is the gov. chose to spend the money in what is basically a ponzi scheme.
Hardly the fault of current retiree's, who were promised life time benefits.

bill
Was Medicare Part D funded? No. Did seniors protest their big bonus? NOPE.

Had the first Medicare recipients paid into the system when they started receiving the benefits? Nope. Life isn't fare and since we not seniors are Republicans and Republicans care about entitlements, seniors are going to have to give up those lush and endless Medicare benefits. Make do with less, get a part time job, whatever it is you need to do. If you were smart, you invested some of your earnings and you can use that.

I've posted several articles that account for inflation, you are free to look for the previous posts but the bottom line is, seniors feel bullet proof because of Medicare but Medicare can't afford the greedy seniors. And ask Paul Ryan because he has said entitlement reform is a top priority. You do know what he means by entitlement reform don't you? Paul Ryan is the kind of voucher care. And you get a coupon and you get a coupon. 20% off hip replacements on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

I do find it funny how anti-government seniors are until you mention the demise of Medicare. Government that give (even more) to seniors, that they like.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:41 PM

35,653 posts, read 21,021,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm one of the posters who wrote "Good for her" but then I learned she yelled "a$$hole" at him. That type of public behavior is unacceptable. It's also not the whole story. From the video, one gets the impression she saw Gov Scott and began shouting at him. There's a time and place for protests.

Florida woman captured on video confronting governor over healthcare | US news | The Guardian
you know what --if you saw a few people eating dog food and the govn'r could work that out and gives you a "don't look at me look "" you might just tell him he is an AH-- I must be respectful at all times for many reasons but these folks live at the top and feel NO pain-- they are totally in denial of the hurting people in their state. We should have had our train-- but to be anti pres he refused it-- FED dollars- shame-- he said NO to stay in with the good ole boys

Old 04-07-2016, 05:57 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,726,419 times
Quote:
Because everyone that goes to Starbucks automatically has a job there? How do you know she hasn't applied? How do you know she wasn't drinking a $2. drip while using their wifi? You don't know, you just want to demonize someone for calling out a Republican governor who refused Medicaid expansion to people in his state who do not have health care.

Over a million families were harmed by Rick Scott's politically motivated decision. Funny how Rick Scott's opinion has gone back and forth on this.

Here is what Rick Scott said on February 20, 2013.

Governor Rick Scott: We Must Protect the Uninsured and Florida Taxpayers with Limited Medicaid Expansion

Then what does he do?

Gov. Rick Scott backs off support of Medicaid expansion | Tampa Bay Times

That's what this woman is talking about.

I shouldn't be surprised about how defensive this post is but I am. I do think of a Starbuck's job as entry level and attainable to a large portion of the population. I also think it's cool that they offer health benefits to part time employees. How many part time, entry level jobs do that? I do find it ironic that the activist was yelling about this in a Starbucks.

By the way, I was negatively impacted by the ACA. I no longer have health insurance because of it. It never occurred to me to yell at politicians about it in public.

Last edited by MissTerri; 04-07-2016 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-07-2016, 06:03 PM

19,820 posts, read 12,082,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'm shouldn't be surprised about how defensive this post is but I am. I do think of a Starbuck's job as entry level and attainable to a large portion of the population. I also think it's cool that they offer health benefits to part time employees. How many part time, entry level jobs do that? I do find it ironic that the activist was yelling about this in a Starbucks.

By the way, I was negatively impacted by the ACA. I no longer have health insurance because of it. It never occurred to me to yell at politicians about it in public.
Probably because you're no bat chit crazy.

Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 PM

1,548 posts, read 912,279 times
Women sound like ridiculous children when they yell. So laughable and unthreatening.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:12 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,559,742 times
Apparently Scott, being the better man, issued a statement saying Jennings was a "self-described anarchist" with "radical ideas".

So it seems Ms. Jennings characterization of hizzoner being an a-hole were spot on.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Apparently Scott, being the better man, issued a statement saying Jennings was a "self-described anarchist" with "radical ideas".

So it seems Ms. Jennings characterization of hizzoner being an a-hole were spot on.
Her radical ideas were the Medicaid expansion Rick Scott announced in 2013 that he would do. How radical of her to believe him.

Governor Rick Scott: We Must Protect the Uninsured and Florida Taxpayers with Limited Medicaid Expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
Women sound like ridiculous children when they yell. So laughable and unthreatening.
Your post is very revealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies