Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 05:48 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
BS. Since the advent of SS, EVERY generation has paid for the ones before them. I've been working full time since 1982 when I got out of college and the so called SS "Trust" Fund has been broke the whole time. SS is a pay as you go system. The people who are working and pay into SS have always been the ones funding current SS payments. What I have contributed, and continue to contribute, is funding SS for people in the Silent, Greatest generations and the early Boomers. Since I'm on the tail end of the Boomers, I won't be full retirement age for another 11 years (age 67). Why would I forgo SS payments when I get there because the generations behind me have to fund it? It's the same thing I will have done for the generations before me.

And, of course, if I hadn't been forced into paying for other peoples retirement, I could have saved more for my own. But, I don't recall getting a choice.
Maybe because of your age, you don't comprehend as well as you used to. (I am a LOT OLDER then you are)

If you look closer you will see that I quoted, hence the "quotation marks", another posters posting.

If you have problem with HIS post, respond to him, NOT me.

MY comment was about IRA's. Now if you want to call THAT BS, you will only make a BIGGER fool of yourself.

P.S. I agree with everything you said about SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 02:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,369 times
No, baby boomers didn't destroy this country. WW2 destroyed this country. Most people don't know what a great country this was before WW2. The cities, and I mean all the cities, in the U.S. were clean, safe family towns where you didn't have to lock your doors and could go out for a midnight stroll in any part of the city without any fear at all. In the documentary 'Remembering Chicago' people who grew up in the city of Chicago were interviewed. I will never forget what one lady said: She said that as a teenage girl on a hot summer night in Chicago she would walk to the nearest park in her pajamas with a pillow and blanket and sleep in the park without one thought that someone would her harm. And an elderly lady I talked to in a coffee shop said that a person could do that In any park in Chicago. Hard to believe but its true. Fast forward to now! Chicago is a dirty, diseased city where fear rules.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:52 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
No not the boomers-- the 10 that own it all -- yea just a few-- the rudder of this ship- convinced the crowd-- it was all good---

Old 04-08-2016, 07:45 PM

1,009 posts, read 708,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
Boomers didn't invent the computer or the Internet, and neither did Al Gore for that matter.
Humm Steve Jobs was a baby boomer

Old 04-08-2016, 07:46 PM

617 posts, read 349,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I don't blame boomers, I blame the government.
Well, at least there was one intelligent answer in this thread.

Old 04-08-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That sounds about right. I believe I was raking in $1.65 in 1971 as a 14 year old.
The nerve !! At this amount we could not support our family . Oh wait these jobs were meant to give us pocket money while in school . After all we were not spoiled rotten like the kids of the generations after .

Old 04-09-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
No, baby boomers didn't destroy this country. WW2 destroyed this country. Most people don't know what a great country this was before WW2. The cities, and I mean all the cities, in the U.S. were clean, safe family towns where you didn't have to lock your doors and could go out for a midnight stroll in any part of the city without any fear at all. In the documentary 'Remembering Chicago' people who grew up in the city of Chicago were interviewed. I will never forget what one lady said: She said that as a teenage girl on a hot summer night in Chicago she would walk to the nearest park in her pajamas with a pillow and blanket and sleep in the park without one thought that someone would her harm. And an elderly lady I talked to in a coffee shop said that a person could do that In any park in Chicago. Hard to believe but its true. Fast forward to now! Chicago is a dirty, diseased city where fear rules.
Actually WW11 helped our country but destroyed Europe . We gained employment , new industries , soldiers returning home were buying homes that were being built in Levvitown , LI for example and so on . What you are saying was caused by liberal politicians who sided with criminals and changing the laws by not enforcing them. The drug epidemic of the 70s and 80s started causing crime in the areas , making neighborhoods not to be safe anymore .

Old 04-09-2016, 06:45 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You guys do know that the full retirement age for the Baby Boom generation was raised about 30 years ago, right?
Yup, but then that revenue was turned around and spent on lowering the income tax rate. So it's a wash.

And not too long afterwards, expanded Medicare benefits put the retirement safety net deep in the red.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-busting/?_r=0

Old 04-09-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think the tally is

-19 trillion in debt
-60 trillion in unfunded social security and medicare obligations
-the worse financial crisis since the great depression
-rampant underemployment
-out of control college tuition costs

And finally...

Leaving this country in such a state, that successor generations could potentially be worse-off than the boomers generation. All because they wanted to rack up debt and live beyond their means.

Thanks boomers. My sincere hope is social security collapses before you can take anything out. You deserve to share in the suffering.
First of all boomers have started to collect SS 5 years ago, they have paid into it for the last 35- 40 years by working so they are receiving what was put in . Today a lot of younger people can't get jobs and therefore are not paying into SS not the boomers fault , so therefore your comment about boomers suffering is naive , blame your current president for not creating jobs and your generation for voting him in twice .He promised you Hope and Change and what you received was No Hope and No Change .

Last edited by shopalcholic; 04-09-2016 at 02:52 PM..

Old 04-09-2016, 02:30 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Lightbulb Would the last baby boomer...

...please turn off the lights on your way out?

Yer gonna miss us when we're gone.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies