Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 03:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
The Walton family built it, the employees maintain it.
And with PDX in your name, that is Portland Airport, seems fit with yout name being CliftonPDX and living in Milwaukee..

Actually, Milwaukie is immediately south of Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Can you name one time since 1938 that raising the minimum wage resulted in minimum wage earners being financially better off over the long term? Long term meaning more than 2-3 years. I'm willing to bet that you can't, because it has never happened. What happens is that the minimum wage goes up, those making minimum wage are granted a temporary increase in spending power, and then the market corrects itself. After that, minimum wage goes right back to being minimum wage, and minimum wage earners are once again unable to afford the same things they were unable to afford prior to the increase.

If you were really interested in helping to increase the middle class, you would be advocating for programs which provide incentives for onshore manufacturing and disincentives for companies that move offshore. You would be pushing for tariffs on products that can be produced in the United States, and 100% import fees on anything made in third world countries. But that isn't your goal. Your goal is to "equalize" the playing field. Out of curiosity, are you a Sanders supporter? I only ask because you seem to have the same level of economic intelligence that he has - which isn't much.

Minimum wage lags behind CPI. A minimum wage increase is not designed to make minimum wage workers financially better off over the long term, it is designed as a temporary, short-term "catch up". The current $15/hr proposals are the first attempts to actually make minimum wage workers better off over the long term.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:07 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Actually, Milwaukie is immediately south of Portland.
Oops. Belay my last. Didnt have glassses on.
He was being a smarty pants, clifton pdx, saying it was milwaukee WI, as I mispelt milwaukee or.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:19 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Minimum wage lags behind CPI. A minimum wage increase is not designed to make minimum wage workers financially better off over the long term, it is designed as a temporary, short-term "catch up". The current $15/hr proposals are the first attempts to actually make minimum wage workers better off over the long term.
An attempt which will fail, due to the very reasons I stated in the post you responded to.

Option A: Raise minimum wage to $15 and the market fixes itself - as it always does after government interference - at which point minimum wage earners are in exactly the same financial position they are now. Minimum wage earners will always be at the bottom of the economic totem pole because they are making the very lowest pay that can be legally paid. This has happened every single time that the minimum wage has been raised since 1938.

Option B: Raise minimum wage and put in place a system which does not allow the market to fix itself, at which point minimum wage earners are now on par with skilled laborers. I can think of a lot of ways to destroy the middle class, but I can't think of any that would be more effective than telling people that they can make the same amount of money flipping burgers as they could learning a skilled trade.

Nothing about the minimum wage debate is aimed at helping minimum wage earners to become economically better off. It sounds good on the surface, but in reality it is nothing but the powers that be convincing the masses that they have the "little" guy's best interest at heart.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
An attempt which will fail, due to the very reasons I stated in the post you responded to.

Option A: Raise minimum wage to $15 and the market fixes itself - as it always does after government interference - at which point minimum wage earners are in exactly the same financial position they are now. Minimum wage earners will always be at the bottom of the economic totem pole because they are making the very lowest pay that can be legally paid. This has happened every single time that the minimum wage has been raised since 1938.

Option B: Raise minimum wage and put in place a system which does not allow the market to fix itself, at which point minimum wage earners are now on par with skilled laborers. I can think of a lot of ways to destroy the middle class, but I can't think of any that would be more effective than telling people that they can make the same amount of money flipping burgers as they could learning a skilled trade.

Nothing about the minimum wage debate is aimed at helping minimum wage earners to become economically better off. It sounds good on the surface, but in reality it is nothing but the powers that be convincing the masses that they have the "little" guy's best interest at heart.
Option B would cause allot of undesirable effects, not just financially.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The unfortunate reality of those stuck in low paying jobs.

What life is like on $7.25 per hour - LA Times

Its tough being broke, that isn't really news. Its never been easy, although its probably actually easier today than it was 50 years ago scraping up on low wage work.

Today we have a lot more governmental freebies, in addition, stores like Walmart enable lower income people to get more for their money than they did before. You really didn't have deep discounting with stores owned by mom and/or pop.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Oops. Belay my last. Didnt have glassses on.
He was being a smarty pants, clifton pdx, saying it was milwaukee WI, as I mispelt milwaukee or.

I don't know its history, but I'm guessing Milwaukie might have been named and spelled that to trick immigrants or newcomers looking for Milwaukee. Michigan has a Zilwaukee which supposedly was named that deceptively.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Then it appears I am the only one with a proposal on the table which actually makes minimum wage workers financially better off over the long term.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Its tough being broke, that isn't really news. Its never been easy, although its probably actually easier today than it was 50 years ago scraping up on low wage work.

Today we have a lot more governmental freebies, in addition, stores like Walmart enable lower income people to get more for their money than they did before. You really didn't have deep discounting with stores owned by mom and/or pop.

What minimum wage workers need is a Walmart for cheap housing.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
What minimum wage workers need is a Walmart for cheap housing.
Section 8, and when you get a girl pregnant, dont put your name on the birth certificate. Then rent a room to her, and use a different address for your mail.. Keep it real and be an entrepreneur with all the government cheese and cash flowing in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies