Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 04:17 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,213 times

Advertisements

I never really thought of this until I became an adult and saw people my age getting sucked into the legal abyss. It seems ridiculous that we treat all crimes as if the defendant is a crazy serial killer who needs to be immediately arrested and locked up for years.

Imagine that you're an average dude who I caught smoking a joint. You get arrested, thrown in jail, bailed out, get a court date, and if you get a lawyer you can keep pushing back your legal charges to years. Leaving aside for now the fact that smoking a joint isn't harming anyone else, what is the point of arresting and throwing you in jail for only 1 day if after that you're going to be free for months (or years) until you face your charges? If you are such a menace to society, then why allow you to get bailed out? Only reason I can think of is $$$.

And can someone explain what the logic is behind jailing high school teachers for 10+ years for having consenting sex with their students? What are they going to do when they get out and have no job prospects after being out of the workforce for 10 years?

To me, this all seems like a big charade. The government likes arresting people because it's a huge source of revenue and it's a show of power to have pictures of people in handcuffs on the front page of the newspaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 04:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Masters in CJ, in the field (private and public) for 20+ years.

It's the epitome of the bizarro world. If you only saw the internal parts in action. It's a wonder more lives haven't been destroyed by it.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:36 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,444,205 times
The fact that if a man dosen't pay child support he goes to jail but if a woman dosen't she gets public welfare and services should tell you everything

Old 04-16-2016, 04:39 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
The US does not have a justice system, it has a legal system. Very different things.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:40 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
To me, this all seems like a big charade. The government likes arresting people because it's a huge source of revenue and it's a show of power to have pictures of people in handcuffs on the front page of the newspaper.
Yes, we have huge problems. The government has lots of incentives to control the people and take their money. And a large part of our society just likes to tell other people how to live their lives.

And you hit on another problem. If somebody is convicted and goes to prison, they are screwed for life. When they get out, they can't get a job because a lot of companies will not hire felons and the government requires many to NOT hire felons. So a felon has no choice but to dive further into a life of crime.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post

And you hit on another problem. If somebody is convicted and goes to prison, they are screwed for life. When they get out, they can't get a job because a lot of companies will not hire felons and the government requires many to NOT hire felons. So a felon has no choice but to dive further into a life of crime.

One of the problems is that many voters believe jails are rehabilitationary facilities with college classes and such. I've been to jail and anything like that is extremely rare. All anyone does in jail is lay in bed and sleep and watch non-cable TV because there's nothing else productive to do.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:31 PM

3 posts, read 1,879 times
Uh, were talking about a country which was built on slave labor, and in many parts forcibly removed it's native inhabitants. Americans like to think we were this great, noble country. We were always about the Benjamins. Always.

I've had to encounter the "system" one time - for a family matter. After that, I said to myself one must be rich to survive that apparatus, because the system is blind, def, and dumb and has no hands to hold a scale. It only does what it's political class tell it to do, which in turn must follow what the money tells them to do.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 1,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Masters in CJ, in the field (private and public) for 20+ years.

It's the epitome of the bizarro world. If you only saw the internal parts in action. It's a wonder more lives haven't been destroyed by it.
I bet you $100 dollars there are going to be more and more lives destroyed in the future. Look at how many people are executed in broad day light by the police.

Oh how we gasp at Brazil and shreek at Iran. Omaha is no better folks, it's just a lot richer.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwpeoslfdms View Post
Uh, were talking about a country which was built on slave labor, and in many parts forcibly removed it's native inhabitants. Americans like to think we were this great, noble country. We were always about the Benjamins. Always.

I've had to encounter the "system" one time - for a family matter. After that, I said to myself one must be rich to survive that apparatus, because the system is blind, def, and dumb and has no hands to hold a scale. It only does what it's political class tell it to do, which in turn must follow what the money tells them to do.

Well said

Old 04-17-2016, 07:12 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Imagine that you're an average dude who I caught smoking a joint. You get arrested, thrown in jail, bailed out, get a court date, and if you get a lawyer you can keep pushing back your legal charges to years. Leaving aside for now the fact that smoking a joint isn't harming anyone else, what is the point of arresting and throwing you in jail for only 1 day if after that you're going to be free for months (or years) until you face your charges? If you are such a menace to society, then why allow you to get bailed out? Only reason I can think of is $$$.

And can someone explain what the logic is behind jailing high school teachers for 10+ years for having consenting sex with their students? What are they going to do when they get out and have no job prospects after being out of the workforce for 10 years?

Smoking a joint should be legal for adults, but marijuana isn't harmless to society. Mexico has been practically destroyed by the drug wars between gangs, primarily due to the marijuana trade. That violence has spilled over our borders.

Teachers use their power to seduce young students. Taking advantage of a young person sexually, whether they "consent" or not, is wrong and despicable. Period.

I've managed to get through my life without any arrests. I didn't find that difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies