Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
if unions didn't have to legally represent and negotiate on behalf of non-paying workers, most people would have no problem with "right to work" laws.
The unions would never willingly accept non union workers negotiating on their own because they would lose control, I'm not sure why you don't understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,547 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
You're assuming that's what they want.

My lowest ever paying jobs were in union shops, using union negotiated rates, and they also had the least useful benefits like vacation, it was 3 weeks, but two were required to be used last week of July first week of August.

I don't want a union to negotiate my pay, or benefits, I know ballpark what I'm worth, I know my upper limit value and what I'm going to walk away from. No union needed. Since those early jobs, never had an employer who had any interaction with unions, they all paid one (and sometimes two) orders of magnitude more than those early jobs, and ubiquitously better benefits (like no co-pay health insurance, 3 weeks vacation that could be taken when you wanted, performance related bonuses and salary increases, etc.).

That's not a guarantee, like I said in the paragraph above, my lowest paying jobs were in union shops, and they had the worst benefits at least in my opinion. Those benefits may seem excellent to someone else, who doesn't feel the need to achieve performance related objectives for bonuses, or always wants two weeks off at the same time of the year, but your last paragraph is entirely speculative. Furthermore disciplinary actions you can take whoever you want in to a discussion, it could be your lawyer, and except in a few instances the person undergoing disciplinary proceedings is well aware of the subject of those proceedings and the accuracy of them, if you screwed the pooch, then you know you're responsible, if your company is trying to ********* over, do you really want to work for that company if you beat the action? How does a union assist in that? In one you're at fault, in the other someone is doing something to you for reasons other than professional. In the former you have no defense, it's a fair cop, in the latter there are multitudes of avenues for restitution, we live in a litigious society, and no win no fee lawyering.
saying that your lowestpaying job was a union shop, without context isnt going to help the discussion. It just sounds like you are leaving out details.

for all we know, your lowest paying job was as a janitor and every job after that was after you finished law school and became a lawyer.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Would you be okay with a church having to perform a wedding or funeral for a non-member or the R or D party having to put on non-member in their political ads?
Turning this around should the Church be allowed to inject itself between me and God?

Quote:
If not why should unions have to represent non-members?
They shouldn't but this is the last thing the Unions will want to see happen because if it does they no longer have any control.

Last edited by thecoalman; 04-10-2016 at 11:34 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 10:39 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
That club you disparage is called a Union and IT got the good wages, decent health insurance, 8 hour day, and actual pension you expect when you work for some body else. If you do not want to take part just stay away. Those conditions did not come for free so if you want to work there pay your damn share. If you don't, go work in a open sweatshop along with the illegals.

Unions have been around long enough that people do not realize just how hard it was to go from deadly DANGEROUS sweatshop to decent wages and conditions. The Republican business elites WANT TO RETURN THE SWEATSHOP with replaceable starving workers for the owner's profit. Let them keep wanting.
Amen brother.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:58 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Another Republican "Right to Work for Free" law struck down. Good.

IMHO - anyone working for another or a business should be in a UNION! That is the only way for an individual to maintain a balance of POWER with their employer. Lack of complete POWER is why employers hate and fear UNIONS.

SOLIDARITY!

IMHO YHO is misguided, comrade.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:59 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
That club you disparage is called a Union and IT got the good wages, decent health insurance, 8 hour day, and actual pension you expect when you work for some body else. If you do not want to take part just stay away. Those conditions did not come for free so if you want to work there pay your damn share. If you don't, go work in a open sweatshop along with the illegals.

Unions have been around long enough that people do not realize just how hard it was to go from deadly DANGEROUS sweatshop to decent wages and conditions. The Republican business elites WANT TO RETURN THE SWEATSHOP with replaceable starving workers for the owner's profit. Let them keep wanting.
Lol @ pension and 8 hour days.

The only people I've heard of nowadays with those are unionized government workers.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:10 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
So, organized labor is evil but organized business that bring us Nafta, TPP is godly?

Old 04-10-2016, 12:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
So, organized labor is evil but organized business that bring us Nafta, TPP is godly?
I don't mind private unions. People have a choice of patronizing those businesses or not.

Government unions are different. Taxpayers are forced to pay for them, including the imposing conditions that unions demand.

Old 04-10-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Unions are practically dead for a reason. They are one of, if not thee most corrupt,institutions in the United States save the U.S. Government.
I remember the stories that would come out about union members getting caught drinking on their lunch or union bosses going home on the clock and felt their usefulness had come to an end.

Then I see all the corruption with Big Business and their puppet politicians, the creation of trade agreements in secret at citizens expense and realized Unions are small potatoes compared to the corruption in Big Business.

Then it donned on me, the corporate media are the ones demonizing any kind of organized labor and I fell for the propaganda.

It should be a constant war between labor and business because that is how a balance of power is maintained. Currently Big Business has the upper hand. They own the politicians and with that have created trade pact after trade pact, have thrown the borders wide open for cheap labor and have lobbied for amnesty.

Labor is under attack from every direction

Old 04-10-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I don't mind private unions. People have a choice of patronizing those businesses or not.

Government unions are different. Taxpayers are forced to pay for them, including the imposing conditions that unions demand.
If you want to kill Organized Labor at the public level, because it does cost us, then Organized Business passing policies they write to politicians needs to be stopped as well because the costs from their policies are enormous in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies