Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 10:25 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Most clear thinking Japanese support Donald Trump.
Ha ha, I wish. I did hear "Trump is right" from one woman yesterday, talking about how she's afraid to go on vacation in Europe this year because of all the migrant chaos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 10:28 PM

31,033 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
No, actually, Japan's media is controlled by liberals and many jpanaese are fed up.
Sounds familiar Much of the world is getting sick of what the Left is selling. With examples like Venezuela and Cuba under their belt Im surprised more haven't taken notice.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:29 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Except that he didn't!

Old 05-27-2016, 08:50 AM

46,947 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
No apology at all. You're being lied to, and those who fooled you are now making you spread their lie. Doesn't that make you unhappy with them?

Old 05-27-2016, 08:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Sounds familiar Much of the world is getting sick of what the Left is selling. With examples like Venezuela and Cuba under their belt Im surprised more haven't taken notice.
Been studying world polls, huh?

Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,456,695 times
Quote:
The President did not apologize and the author of the article to which you link did not provide a single cite to prove his sick case. Bolton, the author, is a pariah and a traitor.

Obama didn't have to go to Hiroshima. He, unlike Reagan, didn't go to Japan to make two speeches trashing US workers for $3,859,048.39 in today's dollars. Funny, but Republicans seem to forget about good ole Ronnie "Sellout America" Reagan's schnorrer days...

The president was dignified, composed, compassionate, thoughtful. Apologize for America? He did nothing of the sort.

Here is a brief snip from the president's speech:

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Obama

In the span of a few years, some 60 million people would die. Men, women, children, no different than us. Shot, beaten, marched, bombed, jailed, starved, gassed to death. There are many sites around the world that chronicle this war, memorials that tell stories of courage and heroism, graves and empty camps that echo of unspeakable depravity.

Yet in the image of a mushroom cloud that rose into these skies, we are most starkly reminded of humanity’s core contradiction. How the very spark that marks us as a species, our thoughts, our imagination, our language, our toolmaking, our ability to set ourselves apart from nature and bend it to our will — those very things also give us the capacity for unmatched destruction.

That is why we come to this place. We stand here in the middle of this city and force ourselves to imagine the moment the bomb fell. We force ourselves to feel the dread of children confused by what they see. We listen to a silent cry. We remember all the innocents killed across the arc of that terrible war and the wars that came before and the wars that would follow.

Mere words cannot give voice to such suffering. But we have a shared responsibility to look directly into the eye of history and ask what we must do differently to curb such suffering again.

Beautifully stated and the full text, linked above, is worth reading. That is, if one wants the truth. If one wants lies and agit-prop that corrupts the mind and corrodes one's integrity, keep reading the right wing chickenhawk so-called "media."

America is already great -- we don't need an ancient fossil, a lopud-mouthed dude with orange hair and spray-on tan to hustle cheap, fake patriotism.

In honor of all who served America...

Old 05-27-2016, 02:45 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
This thread was started on the premise of what he "might" do and now we find that the OP was entirely wrong with his prediction. Maybe next time wait for the actual event and then offer your aopinion, that might be reasonable.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:00 PM

998 posts, read 665,100 times
In a very rare case of self-restraint, Obama actually stopped himself from completely embarrassing the United States and fortunately he did not give a formal apology for the United States ending WWII. You know he wanted to. All I can imagine is that someone in his inner circle finally spoke up and cooler heads prevailed for once.

I worked in a Japanese company for several years and speak fluent Japanese, so I can tell you, WWII is still a very touchy subject in Japan and the vast majority of people over there have very little knowledge of Japan's war crimes in Asia and the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, and believe it is all a grand conspiracy against their country. There is still A LOT of nationalistic pride, and I've learned for the most part to not breach the subject with my Japanese counterparts. They don't teach this stuff in their schools, and for the most part Japanese kids are taught to believe that Japan was the victim in WWII.

But even they would not believe that this buffoon would come over to give an apology. And thank god he did not, but his visit was about as close as a head of state can come to doing it, without officially doing it. And all my Japanese friends and colleagues are loving it, because even though he did not formally apologize, this official state visit to Hiroshima gives the impression that Obama is owning up to some wrong committed by the US. And even though outwardly Japanese do not seem to be nationalistic people, you need to understand that they tend to be very humble people and they do in fact have tremendous pride in their country and history, including war time acts. You also need to understand that in Japanese culture, an apology is a very formal affair, and Obama's actions are very much being viewed as "an apology in all but name".

Old 05-27-2016, 06:06 PM

998 posts, read 665,100 times
Also, I've seen the look on Shinzo Abe's face, and it's similar to that incredulous look that we've all seen on the faces of the Iranian leaders and others that have played Obama for the chump he is. And it's so, so easy. They just can't believe that he comes over and plays right into their hands, politically every time. I guarantee you that Abe's approval rating is going to rise again after this, and I'm sure he's absolutely thrilled and high-fiving his staff right now over a round of Sapporo beers.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:10 PM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
In a very rare case of self-restraint, Obama actually stopped himself from completely embarrassing the United States and fortunately he did not give a formal apology for the United States ending WWII. You know he wanted to. All I can imagine is that someone in his inner circle finally spoke up and cooler heads prevailed for once.

I worked in a Japanese company for several years and speak fluent Japanese, so I can tell you, WWII is still a very touchy subject in Japan and the vast majority of people over there have very little knowledge of Japan's war crimes in Asia and the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor, and believe it is all a grand conspiracy against their country. There is still A LOT of nationalistic pride, and I've learned for the most part to not breach the subject with my Japanese counterparts. They don't teach this stuff in their schools, and for the most part Japanese kids are taught to believe that Japan was the victim in WWII.

But even they would not believe that this buffoon would come over to give an apology. And thank god he did not, but his visit was about as close as a head of state can come to doing it, without officially doing it. And all my Japanese friends and colleagues are loving it, because even though he did not formally apologize, this official state visit to Hiroshima gives the impression that Obama is owning up to some wrong committed by the US. And even though outwardly Japanese do not seem to be nationalistic people, you need to understand that they tend to be very humble people and they do in fact have tremendous pride in their country and history, including war time acts. You also need to understand that in Japanese culture, an apology is a very formal affair, and Obama's actions are very much being viewed as "an apology in all but name".
Well you saw an awful lot that most people missed. Your post amounts to "boy that was a close call" but as usual lacks any substance.

Thanks for the fictional post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies