Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 06:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times

Advertisements

The gov keeps trying this, it does not hold up, and will never hold up. The disparate impact is a very weak argument in this case. The EEOC recently tried this in a hiring case and got their rear handed to them by the ALJ.

I will never rent out to someone with a criminal conviction. I have a line of non criminals that would like my place, so why in the hell would anyone think I would select a criminal over non criminals? I would burn the place to the ground before I ever rented to a criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 06:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
If the gov really was concerned about this, then they would just do away with criminal records, make them inaccessible to the public, or delete them permanently after a certain amount of time.

But see, the gov loves criminal records, and often uses them to make decisions like hiring. However, for us peasants, we are not suppose to take into account these records, though the gov is the only party responsible for creating them.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:19 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
If you don’t rent to criminals, are you a racist?

Of course not. It merely means you don't want to do business with criminals. If most of the criminals are of a specific race, that's their problem, not the landlord's. S/he can't fix a race's proclivities to commit crimes.

But some people see RACE in everything.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:50 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
If you decided to become landlord it is your risk anyhow - you must come in knowing there are no guarantees- you ask for a deposit, and follow the rules- period- this is not a personal enterprise- it involves countless of different people over time. You don't like the rules- DO NOT be a land lord-
I do not get folks, the nicest family moved into a 5 bed house with the hole nine yards - but he went off to war- and she killed both teens in the house in cold blood shortly after- IT can happen anywhere- with any one- there are NO guarantees! Who is nice today, could be evil tomorrow.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:53 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The only "hate & bigotry" is against those whom are not good people to do business with. My bottom line is the bottom line, and I don't want people who are, in probability, problematic. I want to feel comfortable that on the first, the rent check in full will be in my hands, there will not be problems with the law or with neighbors, and my property will be treated in a respectful manner. In exchange the tenants will be in a problem free home, in a good neighborhood, and dealt with professionally and respectfully. It's a business relationship. I have no use for deadbeats, criminals, nor troublemakers. And I don't tolerate drama.

Where's the issue from your standpoint? You seem to see racism everywhere you look.
So now blacks are problematic. Generalize much........

Honestly, someone as racist as you sound shouldn't be allowed to own rental properties. When one paints with a broad brush the way you seem to it only creates hate and division.

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' " Martin Luther King

Old 04-10-2016, 07:09 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post

Honestly, someone as racist as you sound shouldn't be allowed to own rental properties. When one paints with a broad brush the way you seem to it only creates hate and division.

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?' " Martin Luther King
I never said "blacks who are problematic", I said people who are problematic. Still playing the victim card, eh? If you think that blacks are more likely to cause problems, that's your belief and don't attribute statements to me that I never made.

No one "allows" me to own rental properties. I own them freely because I worked to make the initial investment monies and have managed my business dealings wisely over the years, minimizing problems where possible. I've been successful so I must be doing something right. Just curious... who in your opinion might disallow me from owning property that I've purchased with my own funds?

Setting the standard of such low expectations as you do is that which creates hate and division. You obviously can't play on a level playing field where all are held to the same expectations. If you want to identify the racist, take a look in the mirror. Equality would destroy you.

Funny you try to use a quote from MLK when it's people like you who have butchered his message the most.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:10 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:

In all fairness, workin-hard posted

I have relationships with several local corporations and three properties I usually rent to their relocating or TDY executives - be they black or white is of no concern to me.

It is not a racist post, no?

He didn't say crime is a black problem.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:

It sounds to me you're the person saying that Black people are trouble cause they're "Black". Not all criminals are Black by any means.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:15 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
This is the 2nd thread on this, and all of you re assuming ex convicts are the druggy cig. hang out the mouth, gun wielding, pants dropping thug- with a mouthful of grill--- ahhh if you understood white collar crime-

For every 100,000 people in the United States, there are 5,317 arrests that are directly related to white collar crime
.34 Surprising White Collar Crimes Statistics | BrandonGaille.com

but you would rent to that pretty clean shaven face- grey suit, clean shoes, and crispy white shirt-- perception--- an bias-
But they can help you at the depot- bag your groceries- fix your roof- cut your lawn-and help your kids buy $200 sneakers --and ELECT him to office in your state-- I am sick of the double standards
Then, if you're consistent, and don't rent to "white collar" criminals either, we don't have an issue, right?

Renting to criminals puts other tenants at risk. Wrong thing to do due to greed. A few bucks isn't worth it to endanger other tenants.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:17 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Not as racist as implying all landlords are white, and all criminals are minorities....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies