Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 04:43 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post

Wino, Wino, Wino... (Sigh). You know better than this.

Rescue, Rescue.... Rescue.

Quote:
He used 'deadly force' (we call it lethal force) knowing that the result might, in fact, be lethal.
Of course he did, but that wasn't the point now was it? He used the necessary force to STOP his assailant and no more, isn't that the point that you have so graciously reinforced with the following statement?

Quote:
He very correctly applied that lethal force until the threat was neutralized, and then he stopped applying that level of force. Great! All that training we've been beating into their heads is working! That the offender lived is testament to the officer's training, experience - and a good medical staff at the local trauma center.
Quote:
I won't even address your use of the word 'execute' because others have already shamed you for it.
I must have missed the shaming, because I don't feel a one bit of shame.

But while we are in the mood for shaming, I would suggest comparing and contrasting Officer Jesse Kidder righteous application of necessary force with that of Officer Jason Van Dyke's application of lethal force and tell me if you see a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qphk...&nohtml5=False

So who fired to stop, and who fired to execute?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:02 PM

78,376 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Did someone here complain about the first shot?
Based on the thread title yes as the choices were shoot to stop and shoot to execute and only one shot was taken.

It directly implies that you can shoot to stop someone non-lethally like this guy did.

Now later on it morphs into the "hail of bullets" but starting from the beginning thread title that's not what implied.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:26 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
That cop is going to get himself or someone else killed. He should have doubled tapped him in the chest. Sorry first order of business is to put down this idiot and not worry about bullet placement or how many. This is more of the pusification of America.
This always sounds so ignorant to me. All I can picture is Burt Gummer.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Based on the thread title yes as the choices were shoot to stop and shoot to execute and only one shot was taken.
No it was not......he shot....as has been pointed out the shot could have easily killed the guy. His job is to stop what is going on. He did that.

Quote:
It directly implies that you can shoot to stop someone non-lethally like this guy did.

Now later on it morphs into the "hail of bullets" but starting from the beginning thread title that's not what implied.
Maybe you should discuss the facts not what you feel is implied.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:39 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Ohio police officer Joshua Hilling applies enough deadly force to stop a suspect, survive the encounter and make the arrest of a man suspected of murder.

Murder suspect surprises cop with knife - CNN Video
Murderer attacks cop with a knife at close range. Quite clearly the cop should shoot to kill. Sorry, but there are no second chances in scenarios like this. I'd rather have the cop go home safely.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Murderer attacks cop with a knife at close range. Quite clearly the cop should shoot to kill. Sorry, but there are no second chances in scenarios like this. I'd rather have the cop go home safely.
He did.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:52 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

It is not the cop's place to decide whether a criminal should be executed or not. That's up to a jury.
if a cop life is in immedate danger, its the cops job to shoot to kill.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
He did.
Then he got lucky. Good for him. But I wouldn't train police officers to rely on luck to survive.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Then he got lucky. Good for him. But I wouldn't train police officers to rely on luck to survive.
It happens all the time. There was no luck involved here. The science behind this was explained earlier.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
It happens all the time. There was no luck involved here. The science behind this was explained earlier.
Okay friend. Luck is a factor in any deadly encounter. Time/distance are everything in these situations.

I'd rather have 10,000 dead murderers than one dead cop. Guy with knife = Deadly force. Respond in kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies