Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:17 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
In these big scenarios that have flared up recently, the only hate seems to be coming from those attacking business owners for standing for their religious beliefs.

The bakers in Oregon happily served the gay couple that brought the case against them many times prior to the wedding cake debacle. They didn't object to them being gay, the had a problem with violating their religious beliefs when it came to creating a product specifically for a gay wedding.

The pizza shop in Indiana didn't even discriminate against anyone, they only stated that if asked they wouldn't cater a gay wedding due to a conflict with their religious values.

These business owners didn't hate anyone nor did they didn't attack anyone. However, they were subject to crippling fines, their businesses being boycotted, so much hate spewed on Yelp that it crashed the site and even death threats. The anger and the hatred is not coming from these people, its coming from those who are so rabidly angry about a baker politefully declining a job and suggesting another baker that they're not only intolerant of them, they've taken upon themselves to destroy their businesses and threaten them with violence.
The Oregon bakery violated the law because they said they wouldn't bake a wedding cake that was for a gay couple. That is discrimination because they were saying they wouldn't make a cake for a specific couple because of their sexuality. A wedding cake is a wedding cake, a baker cannot choose what the cake is used for once it is sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 AM

858 posts, read 707,604 times
I don't think many understand the issue. Yes, tolerance should go both ways. You should be tolerant of gays and minorities and they should be tolerant of your disagreement with that. You disagree...but you don't hold it against the person. When that crosses into discrimination and refusal of service for the simple reason they are not following your beliefs, that goes against everything the law is meant to uphold.

This issue is always about gays however would you really feel the same way if you walked into a pizza place and were turned away because you were jewish? or if you recently got divorced and the bakery turned you away? Or calling a taxi and having them leave you in the rain because you are doing something the driver disagrees with? I'm sure you'll say 'that's their right' but would you really? would you really be fine being refused service and saying to yourself...'yup, that's my bad. I'm at fault for not knowing and following someone else's beliefs'. I don't think so.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:25 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
I don't think many understand the issue. Yes, tolerance should go both ways. You should be tolerant of gays and minorities and they should be tolerant of your disagreement with that. You disagree...but you don't hold it against the person. When that crosses into discrimination and refusal of service for the simple reason they are not following your beliefs, that goes against everything the law is meant to uphold.

This issue is always about gays however would you really feel the same way if you walked into a pizza place and were turned away because you were jewish? or if you recently got divorced and the bakery turned you away? Or calling a taxi and having them leave you in the rain because you are doing something the driver disagrees with? I'm sure you'll say 'that's their right' but would you really? would you really be fine being refused service and saying to yourself...'yup, that's my bad. I'm at fault for not knowing and following someone else's beliefs'. I don't think so.
Of course they wouldn't be ok with it. They talk a big game because they can't even fathom being denied service for something. Why? Because it's never come up before, ever in their lives. White? Hetero? Christian? They've got it made in this country, they've slid through life, piece of cake. "That business would discriminate against ME? Whatever FOR?" The thought has literally NEVER crossed their minds because it hasn't had to. In reality, if some straight white couple was denied service, the s*it would hit the fan. First, the bewilderment, then the reality sets in. And that's when it all goes to crap. So yeah, when those people claim "I'd just take my business elsewhere, no big deal", that's a load of BS & we all know it.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:32 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Ya, try entering a bakery with a legally owned weapon on your hip if you want to see intolerance.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:38 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Well, that's exactly the problem!

I'm not talking about someone standing on the street corner screaming 'Death to homos!". But, if someone says "I find homosexuality morally/religiously or whatever wrong and I'm not going to serve someone because of that" why is that viewed as being intolerant but you're not tolerant of their opinion?
Dude, they're militants. There is no quarter ever going to be given to you. If they had their way they'd completely destroy everything you know including your religion and religious leaders and the worst part, they know you'll do nothing. They know you'll sit back and stay silent...

Old 04-11-2016, 09:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You can assume that. I don't care about polygamy one iota. Nice try though.
But I don't see any gay people or liberal openly support legalizing polygamy. Hypocrisy, maybe?

Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
we're talking about human rights here. not some random inanimate object.

no one is saying you have to open up your home to gays. all they want is to be treated like human beings. is that too much to ask for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
But I don't see any gay people or liberal openly support legalizing polygamy. Hypocrisy, maybe?
It's a very slippery slope. That may be next.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:40 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If you say so. Funny how you try to "get me" on polygamy & then when it's revealed that I have no problem with it, you need to twist it into something else. You have fun with that!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:42 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
I have said many times that there are no more intolerant people than those who preach tolerance the loudest.
I believe it to be true, and nothing that has been posted here gives me any reason to change my mind!

Old 04-11-2016, 09:43 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Did you even read what you responded to?

I specifically said that no one is required to agree with anyone else. I can disagree with you all day and still sell you anything in the shop. I can disagree with you and seat you in a restaurant. I can disagree with you and sell you flowers, or cake, or cars, or houses.
The only agreement needed in commerce is the agreement on the price of the item.
Nobody should be allowed to disagree with the liberals!!! I am not sure how much more clear I can make it.

For those dissidents, if we can't punish them by laws, we shall pass a new law to punish them or just drawn them with our overwhelming liberal public lynching including but not limited to, death threats, public violent protests, arson, boycott, horrific reviews on every public venue, public shaming, nude protests, shouting, Occupy Movement, public condemnation from all the Hollywood actresses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies