Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Does this door swing both ways? If a gay man/woman/couple own a bake shop can they refuse to bake that cake for a straight couple because of religious convictions? Can a Muslin refuse to bake the cake for a Christian couple?

Yes, they should be allowed to do that.

And some Muslim bakeries will not bake a cake for gays (watch for yourself)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgWIhYAtan4

But the Left never utters a peep about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 07:59 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post

It seems that Muslim bakeries in Colorado must bake the cake. Photographers must photograph the wedding. Muslim state workers in Colorado must, THEMSELVES, issue the marriage license.

In Mississippi they don't have to. In Mississippi our new law applies to every citizen.
And that just drives the left wild.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:03 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I know about the lawsuits against bakers who wont sell a cake to a same sex couple for their wedding.
Is this because a baker wont "bake the cake" or wont "decorate the cake" putting two grooms on top for instance?

I'm just curious if the baker could bake and frost the cake then ask the couple to do any decorating themselves?

I know all the talk is about bathrooms these days, but I never did quite understand "the line in the sand" concerning bakers and weddings.

Thanks to anyone who might know!

It's more wordsmithing from the left. No one is "refusing" to sell a cake to anyone (isn't the idea to make a sale?) regardless of that mantra.

BTW, I've mentioned before many ways Christian bakeries have gotten around onerous requirements. One of them is exactly what you said. A local bakery sells the figures, and they couldn't care less if someone buys two grooms or two brides. One got out of catering business entirely, got rid of their expensive food transport van, and are thriving. A photographer (probably more than one) filed his DBA as a photographer for Catholic weddings only.

Creativity is a good thing.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:

Because it was overly edited, and the bakeries have come forward and said that they did not refuse service at all. 1 made cakes for gay weddings. 1 only made breads and didn't make cakes or any other desserts. and 1 did not make wedding cakes. So one made same sex wedding cakes, and 2 didn;t make any wedding cakes at all.

Dearborn Bakeries Claim Viral YouTube Video Falsely Portays Them as Anti-Gay *–* Deadline Detroit
Muslims featured in YouTube video say it falsely portrays them

I wonder why Crowder has refused to release the unedited videos?

Old 04-12-2016, 08:05 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
Enough to bring a lawsuit for discrimination.
Sadly in our entitled world, your correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
A doctor can't say I don't agree with your belief so I am refusing treatment... The bakers need to grow up and make the cake...
So you believe you are entitled to someone else's labor?

Old 04-12-2016, 08:09 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
When this issue is brought up, my conservative friends tend to go the 'it's their business' route. Any business should be able to refuse service for any reason.

The problem: that's rarely the overall discussion.

We see this with laws that apply this principles to very specific situations. We've seen numerous 'religious freedom' bills popping up across the US as a result of this discussion. If a business should be able to refuse service to anyone, why is this issue being reduced to purely issues of religious disagreement with same sex marriage, which in no religion that I'm aware of is technically a sin.

We aren't seeing efforts to repeal laws that say bakers can refuse to serve based on race or gender. We aren't even seeing support for that. To me, it's very clear that this narrative of 'private business rights' the right is trying to create is bull****. It's specifically about gay people. Maybe it's about religion, but I personally feel like modern civilization has no use for religion being this talked about in the public sphere. Religion is a personal matter; keep it out of politics and social life. Things work better that way.

But beyond this, it comes down to an issue of consistency. If it's illegal to discriminate, why are exceptions being made for gay people? It actually is more or less the same point as above, but from a slightly different angle. Respect for 'rule of law' is a fun thing conservatives say, yet it seems to be applied unevenly here (among other places). Why?

Again, the common denominator is gay people. The issue is that we have a group of people (it's not all conservatives, to be clear) who do not consider gay people human enough to warrant the same rights as others.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:10 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
And then the discussion turned from design to how they couldn't get married in the first place...
& a simple expectation of a pleasant business transaction quickly turned awkward.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:22 PM

57,270 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
It seems that Muslim bakeries in Colorado must bake the cake. Photographers must photograph the wedding. Muslim state workers in Colorado must, THEMSELVES, issue the marriage license.

In Mississippi they don't have to. In Mississippi our new law applies to every citizen.
Maybe for now but MS is about to join the 21st century one way or another.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:27 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

Only in cases of same sex marriage, or sex outside of marriage. Bakers can't refuse to bake a cake because the customer is black, or white, or Christian, or Muslim, or a woman, or a man, or a multitude of other reasons. It only applies to gays and sex outside of marriage. I bet you won't see any denying cakes to non virgins getting married either.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:40 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Incorrect. In every case I have seen regarding gay weddings the objection by the baker has been about participating in something they find objectionable on religious grounds. In other words they serve gays in other capacities but are not willing to bake a cake for a gay wedding because they have a religious objection to gay marriage and want to have no part in it. It's more complex than the 'you're gay so I'm not gonna bake a cake for you' scenario you presented.
More complex in theory, but not in practice. Or is it the other way around ?????

IF this is truly about not serving someone because of your religious beliefs, then the fact that they themselves are gay should come before the marriage issue. Otherwise the debate isnt about religious freedom, but the degree to which you are comfortable .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies