Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 10:18 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruff View Post
Syria’s civil war is the worst humanitarian crisis of our time. Half the country’s pre-war population — more than 11 million people — have been killed or forced to flee.
Turkey, alone, has accepted 3 million. What about America? We have accepted a mere few thousand. Do we have a greater obligation to accept and 'mother' more of these poor and downtrodden? I say we do.
Drive, say, from Las Vegas to Reno and you will see hundreds of miles of scrub-nothing in valley after valley which, I say, with a little effort, could be turned into productive communities for the unfortunates. If we can spend trillions initiating and fighting wars that led to these people being displaced in the first place, I say we can fight another war and spend a fraction of that to build them a place to live in peace and allow them find their own American dream.
Thoughts, anyone?
As a born and bred Nevadan...NO! For one thing, they would be a financial drain. How will they support themselves out their , for one. On, yea another 110% tax increase. Just what we're begging for from Sandoval and his crony legislature. A sea of mud huts, our revenues get to poor in supplies to. Why don't you put them on the open lands in your state? As the saying goes..."Nevada is NOT a wasteland".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 08:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
As a born and bred Nevadan...NO! For one thing, they would be a financial drain. How will they support themselves out their , for one. On, yea another 110% tax increase. Just what we're begging for from Sandoval and his crony legislature. A sea of mud huts, our revenues get to poor in supplies to. Why don't you put them on the open lands in your state? As the saying goes..."Nevada is NOT a wasteland".
I wonder what Harry Reid thinks about this plan......seems when this stuff comes up, there is a person behind it excepting money or something special for bringing refugees to their state. I was watching a program yesterday about Idaho. Looks like "Organic Farms" are signing up for "refugee workers." So the next time you are at a farmers market, your fruit and vegetables are being picked by someone not American or from Mexico. The Organic Farmers are also the ones pushing for food stamps to be used at the farmers market........and people think this stuff is "organic."

Old 04-18-2016, 08:05 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
How about turning Portland into a Syrian refugee area?

Old 04-18-2016, 08:14 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Most appropriate place in the US-San Francisco. Both Islamists and SF residents hate what the US stands for and want to destroy it. Not to mention that the far left nut jobs are the most supportive of the Islamic invasion. Not that there is any reason to import this trouble, but if we have to for some reason, that's a good place to dump them. Islamic radical nutjobs, welcome to the land of fruits and nuts.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:11 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I wonder what Harry Reid thinks about this plan......seems when this stuff comes up, there is a person behind it excepting money or something special for bringing refugees to their state. I was watching a program yesterday about Idaho. Looks like "Organic Farms" are signing up for "refugee workers." So the next time you are at a farmers market, your fruit and vegetables are being picked by someone not American or from Mexico. The Organic Farmers are also the ones pushing for food stamps to be used at the farmers market........and people think this stuff is "organic."
I bet Ol'Harry loves it. Ahhhh...but he's out come November. Still, his nest is feathered well. Truly, I bet credits to Navy beans he doesn't even set foot inNV after he leaves office. Hell, he doesn't show up here more than once in a blue moon now, and never has, and when he has crossed our line, he avoids N NV like an Ebola clinic. To many ropes and spooky horses.

But, if there's a buck in something , that Cretin is all for it. He's tried , (succeeded a couple times) to lock up public land up here for "wilderness area study", with the real motive being cutting deals for water and mineral rights. Oh my, a "humanitarian" project like this would be a a wet dream for Reid. What a cover for a deal with some .mining outfit, and the "refugees " could be used for survey and development. Cheap labor, build them a mosque, and pay them in goats. Oh yea, That sounds so like a Harry Reid brainchild. Makes me wonder bout who the OP works for. . .

Old 04-18-2016, 09:49 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Syria’s civil war is the worst humanitarian crisis of our time. Half the country’s pre-war population — more than 11 million people — have been killed or forced to flee.
Turkey, alone, has accepted 3 million. What about America? We have accepted a mere few thousand. Do we have a greater obligation to accept and 'mother' more of these poor and downtrodden? I say we do.
Drive, say, from Las Vegas to Reno and you will see hundreds of miles of scrub-nothing in valley after valley which, I say, with a little effort, could be turned into productive communities for the unfortunates. If we can spend trillions initiating and fighting wars that led to these people being displaced in the first place, I say we can fight another war and spend a fraction of that to build them a place to live in peace and allow them find their own American dream.
Thoughts, anyone?

Based on what?

Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Lightbulb Should Nevada create a 'new state' for Syrian (and other) refugees?

Nope!

The focus needs to be on the nations generating refugees, not the countries that aren't involved.

Syrian refugees are a Syrian problem, not the USA's.

Besides, there are extremely wealthy, sparsely populated Arab Muslim states in the immediate vicinity that are doing exactly nothing to help their "brothers and sisters."

Not our problem. Let it bleed.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:09 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Nope!

The focus needs to be on the nations generating refugees, not the countries that aren't involved.

Syrian refugees are a Syrian problem, not the USA's.

Besides, there are extremely wealthy, sparsely populated Arab Muslim states in the immediate vicinity that are doing exactly nothing to help their "brothers and sisters."

Not our problem. Let it bleed.

In the case of the Saudis, they seem content with teaching and funding anti-western behavior.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
In the case of the Saudis, they seem content with teaching and funding anti-western behavior.
But they're our "allies."

And our "pals" in Kuwait are now the bankers for ISIS.

Nothing in that open sewer called the middle east is worth one American life or one American dollar. We should leave them to themselves to continue their 10,000 year mindless slaughter of one another.

Let it bleed.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:09 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Thoughts, anyone?

how about on top of the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository? to me that would be the place to put the supposed refugees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies