Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think this officer should have been suspended?
Yes 16 24.24%
No 17 25.76%
He should be fired 33 50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:38 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times

Advertisements

He should be fired. He was the one disrespecting his badge and department by his bad behavior, not the boy calling him dude. He stepped over the line by a mile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:39 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,401,410 times
I also think that he needs a suspension to cool him off a bit. This guy takes things too personal and isn't looking at the big picture. I've had times where juveniles make me want to strangle them, but it's really not worth it. If his parents haven't taught him respect, it isn't the officer's responsibility. If someone calls me dude, I just call them dude. To me, it's just the way he speaks. I don't lecture people about speeding or what's wrong or right. Most people learn and appreciate a warning, but if they really need a ticket or be put in jail, then so be it.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:22 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
Nobody with anger management/power-trip issues like that should be allowed to walk around with a gun and/or a badge. Although, maybe he was just having an ultra-bad day and is usually nice to people? Probably not.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Although, maybe he was just having an ultra-bad day and is usually nice to people?
This is what I was thinking.
I voted for suspension, not firing.
Maybe he is really a jerk all of the time, I dunno. This time he got filmed.
There are so many sad aspects to this story:
The cop's sick power trip on this skinny 14 year old set a terrible tone.
The kid who has an Ipod but not a father, and did say "dude" too many times--he probably has little (if any!) idea that "Yes sir" might be a better approach.
I got into minor trouble as a teen, but the cops were reasonably kind and very professional. This made a huge impression on me; no doubt the skateboarder and his buddies have a very different, lasting impression.
The eternal Battle of Evermore between city government, cops and skateboarders is kinda sad.
Skaters come here to my neighborhood, and all the nervous nellies want to chase them away. It's just too bad, my opinion is that at least they are outside getting fresh air and exercise.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
I wonder if the cop was aware that someone was filming this. If he was, I bet he wouldn't have conducted himself like that. I once had a cop talk to me in this manner and I was an adult then. Why I stood for it I don't know. The way I feel now, I would be talking to his boss and a lawyer pretty quick.

Cops do this with kids since most kids won't complain about it. It's a power kick for them, nothing more. No wonder many people have no respect for cops. Sometimes they bring it on themselves.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:43 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Well, there's a rational thought. Abolish enforcement of traffic laws because there's violent crime in the town.
It was parking NOT traffic, there is a difference. Might not be a half bad idea for Bodymorgue to fire all the meter maids so they can hire better cops.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:06 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Fired AND prosecuted for assault IMO. He gives a bad name to a lot of hard working officers doing a difficult and dangerous job. Picking on a 14 year boy who is obviouly no threat whatsoever is ridiculous.

Trying to go after real criminals might be an improvement.
Maybe that chap should be transferred to the toughest neighbourhood in the US for a look at what real policing is about.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 AM

5 posts, read 42,827 times
he seemed pretty nice to me (having had my own experiences with baltimore police), corrupt and dirty,remember the couple that got lost in cherry hill baltimore and were arrested and put in central booking for five days after asking for directions you never see baltimore when "cops" comes on tv, and as for being suspended he quite clearly out of policy the kid didnt do anything and i dont know where he got all that disrespect bull**** but then again you think cops dont get out of **** like that all the time i do love when they dont get the last laugh though he also kinds threw that kid around pushed him on the ground took his property when he was clearly listening i could go on and on

Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I wonder if the cop was aware that someone was filming this. If he was, I bet he wouldn't have conducted himself like that.
Video cameras are to cops like him what lights are to cockroaches.

There are a lot of decent cops who don't act this way. IMO, these cops need to be very, very aggressive in ferreting out the ones who do and ridding themselves of such morons. As long as they "stand behind them" or continue to rationalize what they do, they earn every associative spear they get. That's the real problem. It isn't that "all cops are like this". It's that there are a lot of cops who AREN'T like this, but they don't give a seconds pause to stand behind the ones who are.

The sort of cop who acts one way when he knows he's being filmed or watched but acts another way when he thinks no one is around is precisely the sort of cop who needs to find another line of work.

Note to cops- this guy isn't your "brother". He's an epic douchebag who gives you all a bad name.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:28 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Fire the cop and press charges for assault. The guy does not deserve to wear a badge or be allowed to have authority.

He probably got his ass kicked and his milk money taken away in school, so now he jumps of out his meter maid car and yells at skinny white kids who he isn't worried about retaliating against him.

The kid called him dude. That is not an insult. Dude is what you call friends or people whose name you do not know. The way the cop reacted, you would think the kid called him a donut eating pig f*cker...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies