U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think this officer should have been suspended?
Yes 16 24.24%
No 17 25.76%
He should be fired 33 50.00%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 08:11 PM

478 posts, read 917,910 times

Advertisements

This is just out of control.

A Baltimore cop - comes down ridiculously hard on a 14 year old skateboarder.

After viewing the video below, do people on here think he should have been suspended? Personally, I think he should have been fired...

PS: I love the cops line at the end of the video.... "Is that camera on... I don't want to end up on..." (what sounded like you-tube...)

Yep, it was on!!! Ha ha...

YouTube - Baltimore cop Vs. skateboarder

And here is the article about his suspension.

Police officer suspended for berating teen - Region - (HometownAnnapolis.com) (http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2008/02_12-22/REG - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 08:32 PM

2,687 posts, read 6,546,216 times
Big man. My skin was crawling. Baltimore is a heavily crime infested city. Why in the hell do they pay guys to beat up on 14 year olds. That guy is a serious dick. I know a good number of officers that are decent, but this guy gives them all a bad name. By the looks of his car he is a meter maid.

2007 graduating motto of the Idaho POST (police training) "Don't suffer from post-traumatic stress, go out and cause it." No joke, police are getting way too arrogant. Then watch people like Bill O'Reilley defend them no matter what they do, makes me sick.

Fire his ass.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:33 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,402,390 times
What a jerk!! I'd bet dollars to donuts that cop was a lunch-money victim in school. Now he gets drunk on his little bit of power. He should be fired and prosecuted for battery.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:42 PM

11,547 posts, read 13,096,313 times
Powertrip!

Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 PM

25,833 posts, read 37,943,441 times
I live not very far from Baltimore and can say that Baltimore has a LOT larger crime problems than skateboarders. Do you think that Baltimore got the nickname of Bodymorgue, Murderland for nothing? No one respects the police there and that video illustrates why. Someone on the Baltimore forum told a story about how he went into his house with his car running to get something and when he came out a cop wrote him a parking ticket with the car running. Now when you have violent crime like Baltimore has you should not even waste time writing tickets when people are getting shot up around the corner.

This cop should lose his job along with all the other corrupt Baltimore police officers (there are plenty of them).

Old 02-12-2008, 09:19 PM

61,294 posts, read 82,033,081 times
IMHO
if 1/2 the hatred and moral outrage was expended on gangbangers that is
wasted on cops we would live in a paradise.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:30 PM

2,687 posts, read 6,546,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
IMHO
if 1/2 the hatred and moral outrage was expended on gangbangers that is
wasted on cops we would live in a paradise.
Why don't the cops take care of gangbangers rather than 14 year old punk kids then? Its not our job to take care of them. The big difference between cops and gangbangers is cops are supposed to and payed to do the right thing.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:37 PM

11,647 posts, read 19,549,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Now when you have violent crime like Baltimore has you should not even waste time writing tickets when people are getting shot up around the corner.
Well, there's a rational thought. Abolish enforcement of traffic laws because there's violent crime in the town.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 PM

11,547 posts, read 13,096,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Why don't the cops take care of gangbangers rather than 14 year old punk kids then?
Probably because there is a good chance he would be dead if he pulled the tough guy act on a gangbanger.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:22 AM

5,080 posts, read 8,982,726 times
As a Former DA Cop, and having dealt with little punks like this, I understand his frustration.. But he went way over the line.. I also think he should be suspended, not fired.. but should be made to take anger management classes, and ride a desk for a year or two.

Look Skaters get a bad rap for many reasons, many just reasons. I am sure Baltimore has skate parks, why weren't these kids at one of them instead of boarding in a public area, and I will bet you there is a sign some place that says no Skate Boarding there near by..

Quote:
Officer Rivieri told The Sun on Sunday that he did not know that the incident had been recorded or posted on the Internet. He acknowledged having encounters with skateboarders at the Inner Harbor, where skateboarding is banned, last summer, and told a reporter that he would watch the video on YouTube.
The Cop addresses the kid and the kid smarts off.. and is very disrespectful.. and the kid got wise, and he got schooled. But again. I think this cop went above the call of duty when he tossed the kid and got nasty and verbal, but then again I also did not see if the board was raised as a weapon or what.. if it was, then tossing the kid and taking the now weapon from the kid could be justified. But again this officer was very unprofessional in my opinion..

And as far as these comments on gang banger, please, if it was a gang-banger it would of been a much shorter video.. as this cop would of shot someone outright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies