Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 01:51 PM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
No. Not knowing who John Rawls is in no way makes someone stupid. I'm saying that a critique of liberalism (or any political philosophy) that only focuses on surface level analysis of certain people who at the very claim to be a part of that philosophy is an invalid critique. And it's not a good one and it's laughable to try and pass it off as one.

This is a standard I hold for others too. Having taken high school history and seeing the evils of Stalin is not a good criticism of Marxism (Marx would actually say Stalin does not deserve to be called a Marxist) and laughing at Fox News is not a good criticism of conservatism. It's fine to criticize Bono, and Fox News, and Rush Limbaugh, and Joseph Stalin and you can criticize aspects of THEIR ideologies. But Bono does no represent liberalism. Maybe he represents some form of activist liberalism, but I don't know. I don't really pay much attention to what Bono does.

Point being, I'm not attacking people who don't know who Rawls is. I'm attacking people who think they're making some brilliant statement about liberalism because they find some flaws in who Bono is. That's what I consider stupid.
Well as long as we accurately determine who is the stupid one, that's the important thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Lol.....all the debates over Bono.
He is a raging hypocrite.....
I have learned to ignore anything
that comes out of his mouth......
Unless it's music

Someone posted that Bono received
some stupid awards- I could care less.
All I want him to do is look hot & sing

Old 04-28-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Unless it's music

From hypocrite to "raging hypocrite." Okay, as you wish of course, but Bono continues to look hot and sing, so I suppose everyone can be happy with whatever they want from Bono and ignore the rest, much like we appreciate and give attention to some comments in these threads while pretty much ignoring the rest...

Old 04-28-2016, 03:46 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Or maybe stop all the doing in the name of God in the first place?
I can agree with that -- doing good just for the sake of doing good.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I can agree with that -- doing good just for the sake of doing good.
It's almost as if I hear John Lennon singing his song "Imagine" right now...

Old 04-28-2016, 04:34 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,176,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
From hypocrite to "raging hypocrite." Okay, as you wish of course, but Bono continues to look hot and sing, so I suppose everyone can be happy with whatever they want from Bono and ignore the rest, much like we appreciate and give attention to some comments in these threads while pretty much ignoring the rest...
Yep, I'm pretty happy just cranking up
U2 without ever paying attention to his
ridiculous political opinions......
That's the way it should be.
Performers are paid to entertain....
Not preach to us about their
stupid liberal ideologies.
And I shall put you on ignore-
So no need to respond

Old 04-28-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
So no need to respond
How do you put someone on ignore?

Also just FYI, (I'm responding because I want to, not because of any need), Bono gets paid for entertaining, of course. All of us who make money one way or another get paid for doing whatever we do for a living. Not sure how that keeps me or Bono or anyone else from expressing themselves in other ways as they wish, or maybe we should have a law preventing entertainers from expressing their views in public?

In any case, sure seems funny you hear and know so much about what Bono says and does when all I really know is what I have seen at his concerts, that and what I dug up in the way of information for you.

Seems your inability to ignore is what really ails you...

Good luck with all that!

Old 04-28-2016, 07:55 PM

13,610 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
How about this; we hold ourselves to a higher standard and don't use the lowest examples of human behavior as our model
I read a lot of things into this statement.

It is great to hold yourself to a high standard, but when you see yourself as much better you come to view everybody else as beneath you which invites lack of tolerance and superiority complex. It may even invite the mindset of those not like you being subhuman or see other as children needing guidance which leads to tyranny. Hitler had a high standard for himself and his German people. It invites the mindset it is justifiable that some decided acceptable things might be done for the greater good.

Hard to have conversation or consider one as a peer when the one talking to you has decided they are so right that questioning themself is not n the table for consideration or that everyone else is decidedly beneath them unless they agree.

It would be interesting to see your list of who exactly you consider lower examples of human behavior because I have always believed that narcissism is a lower trait.

This list here of narcissistic traits certainly doesn't only pertain to liberals but does explain why liberals often believe they are more advanced, more educated, more better people, more enlightened and needed by others to guide all those unknowing other people with their rules, regulation, bans and belittling of those they don't agree with while they often exclude themselves from their own rules, sounds a lot like organized religion doesn't it the thing that liberals love to belittle the most?. I think the word I am looking for to describe it in one word is tyrant.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder Symptoms | Psych Central

Old 04-29-2016, 12:08 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Quote:
Liberals are so full of crap it's repulsive....

Anyone who identifies as a liberal is the
equivalent of a delusional moron in my book.
Zing!

Quote:
...it's amusing to me that people are getting called stupid by those who probably have to Google who John Rawls is, let alone that they probably wouldn't have the ability to actually get through any of his work.
Yeah, he's too hard for us simple folk.

He's like trying to read Hagel, Cant and Chopenhower.

Playdough and Arisdawdle are hard, too!

Quote:
Not knowing who John Rawls is in no way makes someone stupid. I'm saying that a critique of liberalism (or any political philosophy) that only focuses on surface level analysis of certain people who at the very claim to be a part of that philosophy is an invalid critique. And it's not a good one and it's laughable to try and pass it off as one.
"....who at the very claim to be a part of...."

Huh?

Quote:
But Bono does no represent liberalism. Maybe he represents some form of activist liberalism, but I don't know. I don't really pay much attention to what Bono does.
First you say he doesn't represent liberalism, then you say he might represent liberalism, and then you say you don't know.

OK.

Quote:
I'm not attacking people who don't know who Rawls is. I'm attacking people who think they're making some brilliant statement about liberalism because they find some flaws in who Bono is. That's what I consider stupid.
Are you ever going to tell us why?

Quote:
Unless it's music

Well said!

I just saw him testifying in Congress, showering the representatives with his "pearls of wisdom".

No doubt, the democrooks invited him to be a "witness."

Quote:
So no need to respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
This list here of narcissistic traits certainly doesn't only pertain to liberals but does explain why liberals often believe they are more advanced, more educated, better people, more enlightened and needed by others to guide all those unknowing other people with their rules, regulation, bans and belittling of those they don't agree with while they often exclude themselves from their own rules....
Excellent diagnosis!

Old 04-29-2016, 12:36 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Springsteen sucks anyways. I'm glad he's not coming to SC anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies