Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 01:34 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
After the way the general public treated both Bush and Obama, one would have to have a few screws loose to want to be put through that.

Our future leaders will suck because Americans suck.
I mostly agree with this.

One of my earliest memories as a child is hearing on the news how people hated Ronald Reagan.

Then, as I got older, people hated Bush. "Read my lips, no new taxes" was played over and over and over..

Then they hated Clinton. "Don't blame me, I voted for Bush"

etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 01:41 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Most payed far less taxes than they are getting out currently...kind of like Red states
If the amount spent on land-intensive Federal facilities (military, base, National Parks, Indian reservations, etc.) were factored out of the equation, I strongly doubt that many red states would still be seen as beneficiaries. And the balance is further skewed by Federal retirees escaping the sinkholes into which the blue states are deteriorating. Idaho, for example, is awash in "refugees" from the Beautiful Peoples Republic of California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

One of my earliest memories as a child is hearing on the news how people hated Ronald Reagan.

Then, as I got older, people hated Bush. "Read my lips, no new taxes" was played over and over and over..

etc.

If you don't remember Nixon and Watergate, "You ain't seen nuthin' ".

Old 04-17-2016, 02:05 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,217 times
Quote:

etc.
I don't remember Reagan, Bush senior, or Clinton ever getting the type of constant negative treatment that the last two guys have got. Nixon was before my time. The Internet and cable news have really raised the bar in regards to constant negativity.

Only those who actually paid any attention to politics constantly complained before technology allowed the common everyday idiot to be fed an opinion. Facebook particularly is poison to our political sytem. The amount of propaganda that one can be exposed in just a few minutes on FB is scary.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:10 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
18 year olds should not be voting. This generation is not capable of adult thinking at that age.

Neither was my generation but we survived. We do a lot of growing up from 18 to 30.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:15 PM

3,313 posts, read 2,131,554 times
Quote:
Facebook particularly is poison to our political sytem. The amount of propaganda that one can be exposed in just a few minutes on FB is scary.
Yeah, FB is pretty frightening in general in terms of the exposure to frequent misinformation. The various news sites aren't much better, often reliably pushing "studies" which typically serve only the dual purposes of revenue generation and pushing agenda through confirmation bias.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I don't remember Reagan, Bush senior, or Clinton ever getting the type of constant negative treatment that the last two guys have got. Nixon was before my time. The Internet and cable news have really raised the bar in regards to constant negativity.
Cable news was around in the 1980's; it is really the internet that has pushed things into overdrive IMO.

Quote:
Only those who actually paid any attention to politics constantly complained before technology allowed the common everyday idiot to be fed an opinion. Facebook particularly is poison to our political sytem. The amount of propaganda that one can be exposed in just a few minutes on FB is scary.
Yeah facebook is a cancer. It basically allows old people to communicate politically via idiotic memes, and the format does not lend itself to thought, analysis or rebuttals.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:28 PM

35,660 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
18 year olds should not be voting. This generation is not capable of adult thinking at that age.

then do not send them to die-- ( war)

Old 04-17-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Cable news was around in the 1980's; it is really the internet that has pushed things into overdrive IMO.

Yeah facebook is a cancer. It basically allows old people to communicate politically via idiotic memes, and the format does not lend itself to thought, analysis or rebuttals.
cable news was still somewhat reputable in the 80's and early 90's. It's when fox and msnbc got involved that it really turned into more intertainment than news Imo.

And FB is a millennial jerk fest. While there are old people that buy into propaganda on FB, it's mostly young people that soak up that nonsense to be honest.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
cable news was still somewhat reputable in the 80's and early 90's. It's when fox and msnbc got involved that it really turned into more intertainment than news Imo.
I've heard a lot of stories about how cable news operated in the 70's, 80's and 90's, before the internet.

Basically you had huge corporations buying up these media properties, and then telling them what to report. NBC, for instance, was owned by GE, which owned defense contractors during the gulf war. Executives dictating what news could not be reported was the norm.

The internet democratized newsmedia quite a bit, but as we've discussed, it created a whole set of new problems.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I've heard a lot of stories about how cable news operated in the 70's, 80's and 90's, before the internet.

Basically you had huge corporations buying up these media properties, and then telling them what to report. NBC, for instance, was owned by GE, which owned defense contractors during the gulf war. Executives dictating what news could not be reported was the norm.

The internet democratized newsmedia quite a bit, but as we've discussed, it created a whole set of new problems.
NBC isn't cable news kid.

Also, there was no cable news in the 70's. CNN was the first cable news network, and it came out in the beginning of the 80's when cable TV started catching on. Most people that were around for the evolution of cable news like myself will tell you that it wasn't super ridiculous until the Big 3 where established in the mid 90's. We now had a mainstream super conservative station for the far right and a mainstream super liberal station for the far left. CNN Which was always left-wing biased gradually shifted even slightly farther to the left, due to the popularity of Fox, but still remains the least biased of the big 3 IMO, despite still being pretty biased. The local news one recieved before cable news was the norm was hands down less biased than cable news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies