Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 06:07 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
so a guy that stands to make millions from gubbermint handouts thinks gubbermint handouts is a really good idea.

wow. its earth shaking I tell you!

Yeah, after the way he used his money to **** up education we need to take his advice on growing the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 06:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Brain/neuroscience: At first glance this might not seem to create many jobs beyond the research jobs themselves.
Robots and AI are inevitable but they will not create jobs. If you have AI driving a truck in a quarry 24/7 you just eliminated the jobs of 4 people. Even if those people have the intellect for higher technology jobs there is not going to be four of them available. If I can print out the lawnmower part I need on my 3-d printer any idea how many jobs that just eliminated especially when we have the AI controlled truck running around gathering the raw materials? When I can print out a new 3-D printer on my 3-D printer?

Interesting times ahead but lets not pretend you will be creating new jobs with advanced robotics and AI.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:28 AM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Interesting times ahead but lets not pretend you will be creating new jobs with advanced robotics and AI.

But Bill's stock portfolio will get larger, and that's what it's about for him.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But Bill's stock portfolio will get larger, and that's what it's about for him.
Bill's stock portfolio won't be worth anything if no one has a job because there will be no one with any money to buy his product. As we shift into this new age of AI technology there will necessarily have to be some fundamental changes in society. Neither the worker or the capitalist can survive under the current system.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:19 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Quote:
If you really wanted to open this up make it a competition, set a benchmark and offer a prize. This way you are paying for results, the winners and losers will be dictated by their own limitations. Same thing with the patent, itgoes to US government if you collect the prize.
I kinda like this approach. It seems less tangled than traditional research grant funding. I wonder if it has been, or would be, seriously considered?

Old 04-21-2016, 02:31 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,733,461 times
Quote:
Robots and AI are inevitable but they will not create jobs. If you have AI driving a truck in a quarry 24/7 you just eliminated the jobs of 4 people. Even if those people have the intellect for higher technology jobs there is not going to be four of them available. If I can print out the lawnmower part I need on my 3-d printer any idea how many jobs that just eliminated especially when we have the AI controlled truck running around gathering the raw materials? When I can print out a new 3-D printer on my 3-D printer?

Yes, this is certainly a problem to consider. But, as you say (and as I pointed out in my OP), these things are going to happen with or without America in the lead. I just think we should try to keep America at the cutting edge of this. In the Sexy Robots thread, I've tried to encourage creative discussion of ways to deal with the incredible economic and social shifts that are about to take place on account of technology, but I've not yet seen any great suggestions. But that's in the sci-tech forum. I wonder if the folks in this forum can do any better?

Old 04-21-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I kinda like this approach. It seems less tangled than traditional research grant funding. I wonder if it has been, or would be, seriously considered?
It would certainly create an environment preventing Universities from going on wild goose chases. They would have to refocus what they are doing because now there is accountability for failure. Private enterprise is going to up their game because there is actually less risk for development.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:42 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Most of the subsidies we give out subsidize production, e.g. solar. If you want to shift that to R&D have a blast, the one stipulation I would suggest is any patents are solely the possessions of the US government and may be used by any US company utilizing them here in the US.

If you really wanted to open this up make it a competition, set a benchmark and offer a prize. This way you are paying for results, the winners and losers will be dictated by their own limitations. Same thing with the patent, itgoes to US government if you collect the prize.

You don't know much about patents filed on work funded by Government Contracts or Grants which are legally a government contract. For all such work, any patents are automatically assigned to the US Government to be used royalty free for US Government needs and purposes also patents assigned to the US government are free to any person or company registered in the US to use as they see fit. In other words the US government can't pick a winner or issue a sole source technology license. Such non-exclusive patents are considered worthless in industry for they can not be used to protect a device or process nor can they be used to stop foreign company with a legally registered US subsidiary from using the invention.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:56 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
It would certainly create an environment preventing Universities from going on wild goose chases. They would have to refocus what they are doing because now there is accountability for failure. Private enterprise is going to up their game because there is actually less risk for development.
You realize there is accountability for failure now, right?

If you don't produce results, you won't get funding.

Academic researchers generally get some money from the university to start up. If they don't produce with it, there's essentially zero chance that they'll be able to secure a grant. If they get a grant and fail to produce, they won't be getting another grant.

Researchers who fail to produce fail to get funding and rapidly find themselves out of a job. It's actually rather brutal. Unfortunately for the small-minded, a committee sitting around reviewing grant proposals doesn't make for a very exciting reality TV show.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
You don't know much about patents filed on work funded by Government Contracts or Grants ......
Oh no?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayh%E2%80%93Dole_Act
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies