Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 03:55 PM

234 posts, read 202,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Or why some black people are so frustrated and angry. No matter what they do in life, they will always be held responsible for the actions of blacks they share nothing with, other than skin color. There's always that "Yeah, but" with black people.

"I cured cancer today."

"Yeah, but Jamal in Chicago shot another black person, so you need to fix your community and break the cycle."

No other group is joined at the hip like blacks, the only other group in the ballpark is Muslims.
Eh... I'm not saying that necessarily. People stereotype groups all the time. Whether it's blacks, mexicans, asians, muslims, you name it. Perhaps blacks are stereotyped and grouped together most often (I really don't know), but they're definitely not alone.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:55 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Why do they keep giving birth to more and more that are predestined to lead the same lifestyle....And why does "the ghetto" and poverty go hand in hand with filth, pit bulls, drug usage, alcohol abuse, gangs, vandalism, theft etc.
Can't you be poor yet clean, law abiding and smart enough to recognize what not to do to change your life course?
Us taxpayers offer you free schooling and a free bus pass...get an education, get legit and break the cycle people! Come on...this is easy!
Are you truly interested in answers to those questions?

You can be poor and be clean, law abiding, and smart enough to recognize what not to do to change your life course.

What a lot of people do not understand, because they've never been that poor, is that it is not easy to get out of being poor. A columnist wrote something some time ago about what many forget about being poor:

There is no room for error.

None.

It's absolutely true.

Life is filled with "errors". Your car gets a flat, breaks down, you were sick and couldn't work a day or two, you dropped all the eggs on the floor, whatever it is, the fact is, when you're that poor, what many can fix up instantly or within a month, it takes a poor person much longer to fix.

It's not that the poor have more errors...I believe we all have the same amount of errors in life...it's that by the time the poor person gets done paying for the first error, another error has come along with no breathing room. It literally can be a cycle of constantly trying to get past the errors and never getting a moment to breathe and relax.

Then there's the poor who see no way out. They were not raised like you and me and many others. They don't have family who all went to college. They don't have parents on their backsides about school work. They don't have parents at home when they get home, ensuring that they are not out there doing stupid things.

They see that selling drugs is an easy way to make money. It's easier than any 9-5. Sure, there's the possibility of prison time...and for some poor people, prison isn't all that bad compared to where they live. They already have the street smarts to survive in prison, they get 3 meals and a cot, sometimes, despite how disgusting prison food may be, it's better than the food they would get at home...if they got 3 meals a day at home. They would only have to share with one person, not 3 or 4 other people. Sure, they get locked up at night, or when someone else in the prison has done something stupid and everyone pays for it, but as long as they get along with their cell mate, it's actually safer than where they live.

Of course some prisons have open rooms with dozens of people crammed together, but even then, they still find things in there that they don't get at home...so they aren't necessarily scared of it. To them, it's not much different than their life outside.

Doing drugs, drinking yourself stupid every day is an escape from reality. Who the hell wants to live in that reality? Day after day of destitution. Even if your place is clean, you're surrounded by slobs and pigs everywhere around you. The buildings and homes are in disrepair, the lawns are not maintained - if they have a lawn, there's garbage everywhere, there's thugs everywhere, there's drugs everywhere, and there's someone willing to take from you at any opportunity. Of course some people escape in to the world of drugs and alcohol.

There's also the lazy. Plenty of people who could have an opportunity but are too lazy to do anything about it. Go to work? Again? Two days in a row? Hell with that. Rather hang out with the friends who aren't working. That's more fun.

Then, finally, there's the ones who will never see that they are their own worst enemy. They actually believe that everything that happens to them is someone elses fault. They can't see it, they won't see it, and they'll never elevate themselves in life because it is far too easy to point the finger at someone else and say, "It's your fault I live like this. You don't care about us."

These all sound like excuses to most people...but until you've been so damn poor that you can't afford to eat, live in a crappy place, live in a crappy neighborhood that feeds on negativity, have zero mentors or people to look up to...and constantly struggle to fix the errors, you have no idea just how difficult it is to get off of that bottom rung of the ladder.

It can be done. People have done it. They have had someone take an interest in them, telling them that they do have potential...yes, believing in them. Instead of telling them everything that they do wrong, and spitting on them, they have people trying to build them up. It's exhausting to try to build someone up who doesn't believe in themselves...but there's people out there who do it...with no gratitude from society at all. All society wants to do is **** and moan about how people are lazy and don't try. Fact is, many do try. Some make it. Some aren't strong enough to do it on their own.

Without doubt, someone on here will say that they did it without any mentor or person who pushed them to do better things...and I'm sure that there are people like that on here...but that does not negate the fact that some people out there just don't know what to do. They don't know who to ask for help, they don't know where to go, they don't know the questions to ask.

Instead of raising the minimum wage, instead of being angry at every poor person and calling them lazy worthless humans, instead of sneering at them in disgust and walking away, if we really wanted to make a difference, we'd work on that part, not all this other feel good garbage that helps no one.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:59 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Why do they keep giving birth to more and more that are predestined to lead the same lifestyle....

The answer is MEMEs.

That is like asking Italians not to be Italians anymore when they are born and raised in Italy, and all the family is Italian.

Last edited by Julian658; 04-19-2016 at 04:54 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 04:03 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOIGUY View Post
Eh... I'm not saying that necessarily. People stereotype groups all the time. Whether it's blacks, mexicans, asians, muslims, you name it. Perhaps blacks are stereotyped and grouped together most often (I really don't know), but they're definitely not alone.
They aren't, but like I said, not joined at the hip to the extent like blacks and Muslims are.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBorn&Raised View Post
There is a reason why Blacks and Muslims are both criticized the most. Both of their cultures are uncivilized and destroys all things 1st world. Both groups breed like there is no tomorrow at the expense of hardworking taxpayers who foot the bill for their offspring and both have the highest crime rates.
I hope you enjoyed your short-lived time on C-D, but you can go back to Stormfront after you're no longer allowed to post here.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:42 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

It also means there's a lot more opportunity to make mistakes that may drag you down for the rest of your life, like getting pregnant and having to take care of a kid, or getting in trouble with the law (resulting in a record that makes jobs difficult to get in the future), or even injuries from violence.

Being a felon is not a mistake-it is worse, and simply a sign one belongs in a cage, instead of loose in civilized society.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Being a felon is not a mistake-it is worse, and simply a sign one belongs in a cage, instead of loose in civilized society.
I would hope you have the same attitude about white collar crimes, DUI/DWI, tax fraud, etc.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:48 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
I would hope you have the same attitude about white collar crimes, DUI/DWI, tax fraud, etc.
absolutely

Old 04-19-2016, 04:52 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Or why some black people are so frustrated and angry. No matter what they do in life, they will always be held responsible for the actions of blacks they share nothing with, other than skin color. There's always that "Yeah, but" with black people.

"I cured cancer today."

"Yeah, but Jamal in Chicago shot another black person, so you need to fix your community and break the cycle."

No other group is joined at the hip like blacks, the only other group in the ballpark is Muslims.
Hispanics have a similar issue, which is even more frustrating when you consider the wide range of nationalities and ethnicities that Hispanic encompasses.
The number of times I have been told that I need to take responsibilities for illegal aliens if I want to get anywhere in life....

Old 04-19-2016, 04:53 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Ummm....I grew up in "the ghetto." I am married and college educated and make a great income. So does my husband (he grew up in the overly media frenzied "southside of Chicago!" The horror! lol)

Most black people who grew up in the ghetto have made it out...Today a majority of black people do not live in inner city ghettos.

OP, why do you so overly focused on stereotypes of black people in particular. I bet you live in a trailer somewhere and you think you're better than a poor "colored" person in the hood due to that.
I think this is funny. You pegged him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies