Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 10:23 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
But there are few people who contributed more to the establishment of this nation than Andrew Jackson. And that's just a fact.
And he had a good long run on the $20.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:28 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Do you live in the United States? If so, why do you continue to live here if you have such a problem with how this nation was created?
Are you saying that a true American should never admit that there are episodes in our history that we aren't, and shouldn't be, proud of? The decimation of the Native American population, of which the Trail of Tears is one horrific chapter, is one of those things. Slavery is another.

Harriett Tubman replacing Jackson on the $20 is a win/win in that regard.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:34 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Are you saying that a true American should never admit that there are episodes in our history that we aren't, and shouldn't be, proud of? The decimation of the Native American population, of which the Trail of Tears is one horrific chapter, is one of those things. Slavery is another.

Indian removal is not an episode of American history, it's the very foundation that this nation is based upon. If you have such a problem with Europeans living on this land, and if you're of European heritage yourself, why do you continue to live here?

Old 04-22-2016, 10:35 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:

Wait, I was told that was not a big deal. Now it's win win?

Old 04-22-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
There are probably hundreds of people who would 'merit' being portrayed on our money.

Traditionally, only one is chosen to be on the front of a denomination.

Who YOU believe to have the most merit is just your opinion, and you are not in a position to make the decision.

I would wager that every single poster in this thread would have a different idea of who has the most merit.

And to attribute affirmative action to the musings of a 10 year old girl is quite laughable, and totally negates your claim that you 'don't care as long it's based on merit'.
It's sad that a nine year old already knows how to discriminate based on gender and race. I don't think that's a laughing matter.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:40 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Indian removal is not an episode of American history, it's the very foundation that this nation is based upon. If you have such a problem with Europeans living on this land, and if you're of European heritage yourself, why do you continue to live here?
I wasn't around when this country's policies included chattel slavery and Native American genocide, so I cannot go back and change my country's history. But I can recognize and accept that America has not always been on the right side of history, and at the same time, still love my country.

But I understand how that might be too nuanced of a concept for a simplistic, "'Murica, love it or leave it!" mind to grasp.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:41 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Wait, I was told that was not a big deal. Now it's win win?
In all fairness, I was the one who said "it is just a picture. It is not a big deal."

I understand why some might have problem with Andrew Jackson.

Personally, I don't believe historical figures should be judged using 20/20 hindsight. Andrew Jackson was a supporter of the “common man” - he felt the government was only helping the rich.
He was the hero of the Battle of New Orleans - this gave Americans a huge sense of pride.
He fought in Revolutionary war. Without people like him, we perhaps would never have this country. It saddens me to see him being replaced. But that is just my opinion and I don't speak for anybody else but me.

----------------------

So to me, there are two arguments

Does Harriet deserve to be on that bill? Yes, absolutely

Should we "replace" Andrew Jackson, I don't think so (but that is my opinion)

Old 04-22-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I wasn't around when this country's policies included chattel slavery and Native American genocide, so I cannot go back and change my country's history. But I can recognize and accept that America has not always been on the right side of history, and at the same time, still love my country.

But I understand how that might be too nuanced of a concept for a simplistic, "'Murica, love it or leave it!" mind to grasp.
You can leave and return the land back to the natives.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
That's correct! Americans should all be thankful for our ancestors having slaughtered those Indians.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:47 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:

Save your delusional intellectual pretensions, you're completely missing this simple point. This country is founded on Europeans removing the native population. It doesn't matter whether you were here for it or not. If that is not on "the right side of history," then it's not on the right side of the present either, because Europeans continue to live here. And if you have such a problem with that, perhaps you should do something about it and return to Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies