Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 01:28 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's not a criteria for me. But based on nothing, because you admittedly know nothing about Harriet Tubman, you're assuming she was chosen based on her race and sex. I'm wondering if you know of any dead Americans you believe to be worthy of being placed on currency who also happen to be female and non-white.
Read post 349 and 362.

Quote:
Sofia, whose family asked that her full name not be used, wrote a letter to President Barack Obama after noticing the lack of women on U.S. currency while working on a class project.

“It makes things feel fair,” Sofia said Thursday.
Not sure how much more clear it needs to be. Tubman is clearly an affirmative action choice to make things "fair" even though hundreds of people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...70d_story.html

Old 04-22-2016, 01:33 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Read post 349 and 362.

Not sure how much more clear it needs to be. Tubman is clearly an affirmative action choice to make things "fair" even though hundreds of people.

and turned out, Tubman is an excellent choice. What is the big deal? This is not one of those "put a woman in combat zone to make it fair" situation.

in 1890, the National American Woman's Suffrage Association was formed with Elizabeth Cady Stanton as its first president. In 1910, many western states began joining Utah and Idaho, which had given women the right to vote at the end of the 19th century: But states in the South and East continued to resist. In 1917, World War I threatened to set the movement back once again, but women continued to fight. This time, they successfully argued that the help and actions of women during wartime illustrated their active, equal and deserving role in the country, and in the democratic process.

Now I can vote because of the women and men fought for my right. Is it affirmative action that women can now vote? Come on, get real. Let's not take our freedom or right for granted. Freedom is never free.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:35 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Please do not fabricate. I never said anything remotely like that.

I said the selection process should be merit based not race or gender based. I don't care whom is selected as long as the process remains merit based.
Many of us think Harriet Tubman does have merit. The fact that she is also black and a woman, when so few of either have been honored in any way in this country, is a plus, but it in no way takes away from the fact that many feel Tubman does, indeed, merit such an honor.

So, if she does have merit, you're good, right?

You're not suggesting that the fact that she's black and/or a woman should take her out of the running, are you?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Many of us think Harriet Tubman does have merit. The fact that she is also black and a woman, when so few of either have been honored in any way in this country, is a plus, but it in no way takes away from the fact that many feel Tubman does, indeed, merit such an honor.

So, if she does have merit, you're good, right?

You're not suggesting that the fact that she's black and/or a woman should take her out of the running, are you?
Never said or even implied that she didn't have merit. That is not the point.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:42 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Read post 349 and 362.

I read them but they don't answer my question.

Can you think of anyone you'd suggest to be on currency who is either a woman or a non-white man?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
and turned out, Tubman is an excellent choice. What is the big deal? This is not one of those "put a woman in combat zone to make it fair" situation.

in 1890, the National American Woman's Suffrage Association was formed with Elizabeth Cady Stanton as its first president. In 1910, many western states began joining Utah and Idaho, which had given women the right to vote at the end of the 19th century: But states in the South and East continued to resist. In 1917, World War I threatened to set the movement back once again, but women continued to fight. This time, they successfully argued that the help and actions of women during wartime illustrated their active, equal and deserving role in the country, and in the democratic process.

Now I can vote because of the women and men fought for my right. Is it affirmative action that women can now vote? Come on, get real. Let's not take our freedom or right for granted. Freedom is never free.
Right, that's because our system is no longer gender or race based but merit based. Why do advocate we go back to race and gender based system?

Old 04-22-2016, 01:43 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
No it wasn't. And this country still exists without slavery. It does not exist without Europeans living here.
Someone explain this to me: why was it shameful for Europeans to come here in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, but it's not shameful for Europeans to be here now?
Yes, it was. The United States of America would not have existed without slavery. It would not have expanded west without slavery. It would not have become a global power without slavery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Oh, okay. So they should have said what, "we're going to steal your land from you, but we're going to be real nice about it, and there won't be any fighting or anything?" And many of the natives died from diseases that Europeans brought with them.
Yes, disease decimated the Americas before colonization. But the post-colonization history of relations between the United States and the natives can be summed up thus: war to take land->treaty->broken treaty->war to take land. The subject is not a great legacy.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:44 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
I could care less who they put on the currency as long that it doesn't bounce and is worth value.....with a 20 Trillion dollar debt, we hope that our currency doesn't go flushing down the toilet but feeling good about ourselves with White Guilt that we put a black woman that nobody gave a damn for decades until now.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:44 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Right, that's because our system is no longer gender or race based but merit based. Why do advocate we go back to race and gender based system?
How so? Just because a black woman is on 20 dollars bill, we are going back to race and gender based system?

If you can stop focusing on her gender and her skin color, you will realize that this is a human being fought for all of us.

Old 04-22-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I read them but they don't answer my question.

Can you think of anyone you'd suggest to be on currency who is either a woman or a non-white man?
Once again, why should we choose based on race and gender? Are you a racist and sexist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies