Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 08:22 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,373,496 times

Advertisements

Our country is likely screwed after Trump's gone. Now our college students are getting traumatized by stupid things. This being an example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 01:40 PM

21,389 posts, read 10,433,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZach View Post
Traumatized? I thought this is what the liberals wanted on college campuses? Frankly I'm surprised since the guy was black they had him arrested. Heck I'm white and if this offends you we have some big problems but it doesn't surprise me since people are being offended by chalk as well.

I'm only nineteen but I have to ask when did the world start becoming so politically correct?
It started in the '90s after the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas matter, but it didn't get to this point until just a few years ago. I don't even really believe it's much of a problem now. Those kids will eventually graduate and get hit by the real world. This type of trauma will not last into adulthood (hopefully).

Old 04-23-2016, 07:05 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,573,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I used to get more upset at stories like this.

But then I thought: this is literally the only time these snowflakes are going to be taken seriously. These four years will be their "peak" in life.

The failure to actually obtain a useful skill during their college years, the choice to study ethnic studies, race theory, etc..... it's going to guarantee perpetual existence on the bottom rung of the social and economic ladder for the rest of their lives. (Maybe a few will find a way to join the racism industry, but that's like 1%).

So, the adequate response is basically to roll your eyes. These cupcakes are going to be chewed up and spit out in the real world, and it's their own damn fault. Their peers will surpass them and thrive and they'll be relegated to sad, unproductive and emotionally fragile little lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
It started in the '90s after the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas matter, but it didn't get to this point until just a few years ago. I don't even really believe it's much of a problem now. Those kids will eventually graduate and get hit by the real world. This type of trauma will not last into adulthood (hopefully).
I really hope you guys are right - and I admit, there's a mean, petty side to me that hopes they do someday get b-slapped by the realities of life - but the fact that so many college administrators are bending over backwards to accommodate this ludicrous psychological disorder (and make no mistake, that's exactly what it is) is ominous and deeply troubling to me. To me, that does not suggest that the colleges and universities are genuinely preparing this generation for adulthood.

Can anyone here imagine a 20-something from the WWII generation spouting these absurdities and being taken seriously? My skin crawls at the thought of it.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:33 AM

77,714 posts, read 59,844,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What a bunch of pansies.

The saving grace is these are the people my kids will be competing with in life.
Nah, they won't be competing with anyone...that would stress them out.

They'll find a safe-space in life that consists of doing something they like, or working part-time giving guitar lessons and smoking lots of pot while safely tucked away somewhere with supplemental income from their parents.

My relatives (wealthy) in San Fran had this running *rampant* through their friends kids.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I really hope you guys are right - and I admit, there's a mean, petty side to me that hopes they do someday get b-slapped by the realities of life - but the fact that so many college administrators are bending over backwards to accommodate this ludicrous psychological disorder (and make no mistake, that's exactly what it is) is ominous and deeply troubling to me. To me, that does not suggest that the colleges and universities are genuinely preparing this generation for adulthood.

Can anyone here imagine a 20-something from the WWII generation spouting these absurdities and being taken seriously? My skin crawls at the thought of it.
Yeah, we are really talking about a pretty small percentage of kids. They just cluster together and the group-think and rhetoric just gets dumber and crazier.

Don't assume this is any new normal.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:47 AM

20,222 posts, read 19,772,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
They'll find a safe-space in life that consists of doing something they like, or working part-time giving guitar lessons and smoking lots of pot while safely tucked away somewhere with supplemental income from their parents..
They'll hide out in Big Academia and live their lives in an echo chamber, inbreeding with their own kind.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
They'll hide out in Big Academia and live their lives in an echo chamber, inbreeding with their own kind.
Not really. They don't have the stones to get a real degree and there are very very few openings in the garbage degree areas where they study.

So, they head off towards low wage "safe place" jobs where the minimum wage pay is offset by mom and dad.

P.S. Squeel any louder about made up crap like "Big Academia" and you're going to wind up with your own special snowflake thread.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:05 PM

2,896 posts, read 3,475,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
this is rapidly becoming a weekly occurrence. they really need to stop taking these wussies seriously
The recent classroom arrest of a black University of Wisconsin-Madison student accused by campus police of spraypainting phrases such as “**** the police” and “the devil iz a white man” on campus has traumatized students, according to an open letter circulated Wednesday by the Department of Afro-American Studies.

What so many of you are experiencing isn’t a sign of individual weakness,” states the two-page open letter addressed to “students of color,” a copy of which was obtained by The College Fix.

It’s a version of post-traumatic stress syndrome, a mental health crisis as serious as those following campus shootings or natural disasters. … [W]e ask that emergency mental health support be made available to all students affected by recent events.”
UWisc profs: Black students have 'post-traumatic stress,' need 'emergency mental health support' - The College Fix
Hopefully, this idiot will be harshly punished.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:00 PM

52,221 posts, read 33,927,682 times
more lunacy:
UW students holding

Old 04-25-2016, 07:26 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,711,812 times
Bring in the fainting couches, bus in the grievance counselors.

Obviously, these kids today aren't laden with upcoming tests for which to study or term papers to write. Spoiled little doodieheads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies