Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:04 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

I have a place in the country, neighbor got busted growing 40 plants. He had his 80 acres stolen from him and the proceeds from the sale divided up amongst local, county and state authorities. The term " legal plunder" as used by Bastiat came to mind as I watched this mans land being auctioned off.
It's nauseating what america has turned into.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:12 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
The law is the law. Do not like the law then change it. But do not break it. Unless you can to do the time.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:14 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
The law is the law. Do not like the law then change it. But do not break it. Unless you can to do the time.
How many laws have you changed?

oh and hey Mr. Law and Order, where is the banning of plants and substances outlined in the constitution?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:19 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I have a place in the country, neighbor got busted growing 40 plants. He had his 80 acres stolen from him and the proceeds from the sale divided up amongst local, county and state authorities. The term " legal plunder" as used by Bastiat came to mind as I watched this mans land being auctioned off.
It's nauseating what america has turned into.
With profit motives like that, one does not have to ponder very long to come up with why notmeofficer (a police officer in California) is so dead set against legalization.

Back when I lived in Oklahoma, I was personally told by an OBN (Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics) agent that a guy who lived not too far north of me, in a paid for, very nice house in a well-to-do neighborhood, was going to lose his house because he was caught with one plant growing in his back yard. The agent was quite candid about how they seek out such busts because that money (or a portion of it at least) goes directly into their department to buy guns, vests, cars, and all the other equipment needed to continue such carnage.

I would have been a victim myself, except that my house was "mortgaged to the hilt" (his words), so there would not have been enough profit in it for them to seize, err steal, my house.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:22 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So this vet chose to break the law by growing marijuana, then using marijuana, then got caught, then was sentenced to prison and it is the courts fault he is in jail for the rest of his life?
Okay, well, perhaps this vet should have made better choices that were not against the law.
Ok, let's start out easy. Why is it illegal? Who is safer with it being illegal.

And in case you're truly this uniformed, I'll just tell: literally no one. Drug laws have been proven to be ineffective. They do not properly deal with addiction, they do not lower crime, and the do not make people safer. Most countries that legalized drugs have seen drug addiction go down, not up.

What does that mean for the US? Apparently to continue our crusade of drugs, that at this point, only a complete idiot could actually support. And yes, I'm calling supporters of this prohibition idiots. That, or they're fascists. Take your pick. I see no other possibility. The evidence is clearly in favor of those who want to end the war on drugs, and frankly, if it's not about safety or money for you, then it's about the state dictating people's lives, thus making supporters unintelligent or fascists.

In other words, this vets arrest was the result of stupidity and/or fascism. You can say he shouldn't have broken the law, but maybe MLK shouldn't have been black. Would have kept him out of jail too. Laws do not equate morality and breaking them is not a sign of poor decisions when the first poor decision is making the law in the first place.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How many laws have you changed?
I am not worked up enough about anything to really care. My life is plenty busy and happy. I come here for the lulz.

Shall I clue Schoolhouse Rock for you about How a Bill becomes a Law? I mean if you have been living in a foreign country or been ignorant about how laws are changed in the USA.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:24 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
What if your son or daughter suffered from life threatening seizures, with cannabis oil the only known way to control them, and you lived somewhere where the law states that you are a felon if you treat your kid with a life saving substance?

Would you watch your kid suffer immensely, and ultimately die, because that is what the law says you have to do???

Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
I am not going to defend this man because he is a veteran. Being a veteran has nothing to do with it. If he broke the law, he is going to jail. UNFORTUNATELY, but it is what it is.

This being said, The current drug laws are absurd. Pure propaganda. Let’s educate ourselves so that eventually, hopefully, fingers crossed, our legal systems catch up one day, to reflect a more empathetic, educated, and less ignorant perspective on the topic that is drug laws.

All drugs are different.

Some drugs are inherently addictive, and others are not.
The line dividing legal and illegal drugs is stupid.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
What if your son or daughter suffered from life threatening seizures, with cannabis oil the only known way to control them, and you lived somewhere where the law states that you are a felon if you treat your kid with a life saving substance?

Would you watch your kid suffer immensely, and ultimately die, because that is what the law says you have to do???
Is this a reality based question ala Lorenzo's Oil? Are there some ailments only cannabis can solve?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Booker's status as a veteran has nothing to do with the situation beyond creating a sensational headline.

According to the link, Alabama is one of three states with mandatory minimum sentencing. What prevents Alabama from changing its law and releasing those whose punishment no longer meets the crime. Why are the people in Alabama not protesting in the street about minimum sentencing and/ or making medical marijuana legal.

Huge difference between growing for personal consumption vs commercial sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies