Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 07:04 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
True. People live above their means and then cry about not having money, and then they blame the political party they do NOT support.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 08:00 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
And yet 68% of Americans have smartphones. The problem for many people isn't a lack of funds, it's choosing to live beyond their means. And a government that rewards poor behavior.
What do you mean...and yet? People need phones to communicate. Its a necessity when landlines are going obsolete.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:36 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Ah, yes, another "let them starve in the streets if they can't work" post ...
You failed to answer the question. All you did was throw out a tired, untrue insult.

Answer the question:

Whose fault is it if someone doesn't have $400 set aside? Is it THEIR OWN fault, or is it the fault of the government?

Old 04-23-2016, 08:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
A friend of mine went to the ER recently when his heart started racing and he had chest pains at work, his coworkers insisted and he drove himself there. The first bill, from the physician, was under $200. The second bill, from the hospital itself, is close to $3k. He doesn't know if more bills are coming (lab? other?) but he was there for about 40 minutes and was sent home and was fine after that.

There is no way he is ever going to pay that bill.

Old 04-23-2016, 08:52 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You failed to answer the question. All you did was throw out a tired, untrue insult.

Answer the question:

Whose fault is it if someone doesn't have $400 set aside? Is it THEIR OWN fault, or is it the fault of the government?
Obviously the government is racist, bigoted, homophobic, hates everyone outside of the elite and fat cats.

Yet I bet that the majority of those people have new cell phones, name brand clothes, TVs, cars, etc.

These 47% have the same vote as those who can actually manage their money and be responsible.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:19 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
That's what happens when a thriving economy turns into a 3rd world economy where all the gains go the top and those producing the gains are held back.
The majority of the people on the bottom are being held back by their own poor life choices, like having kids too early in life and/or out of wedlock and before they have any decent job skills or academic degrees. Then they get addicted to government handouts.

Then you have the homeowners being held hostage by parents demanding more out of their kids; public schools. My property taxes are high due to the cost of schooling in my town. And once those parents' children graduate from high school, they move out of town. No one wants to pay their fair share of taxes at any level.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:44 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I realize all of these things. Of course people can read books form the library, go to the park, go for a walk, etc. I'm sure most people who watch TV do all of these things and more. What I'm saying is that in the grand scheme of things, spending $12.50 per week for the family on entertainment is not going to make or break most families and is not going to be the difference between having some money in savings and not having anything.

By the way, how much does it cost to have internet, Netflix and Showbox cost. I'm doubting that it's significantly cheaper then cable.
It all depends on the cable package. Does one want bare bones (if the antenna got it, you'd be ok with it) or more?

Internet cost at it's lowest from Verizon: $19.99/month.

Verizon High Speed DSL & Broadband Internet Provider

Netflix: $7.99/month

Amazon Prime: $8.25 month ($99/year).

Old 04-23-2016, 10:45 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
On the other hand, there are a lot of countries where an emergency room visit doesn't mean extra expense.
Nothing to see here!

Sorry D in LA...replied to the wrong post.

Last edited by Informed Info; 04-23-2016 at 11:01 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 06:37 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What do you mean...and yet? People need phones to communicate. Its a necessity when landlines are going obsolete.
It's a convenience. Too many convince themselves that want = needs.

Landlines are readily available all across the US.

A cell service with a data plan for personal use is really hard to sell as a life necessity. Same with cable, gaming systems, Netflix....................

Old 04-24-2016, 06:55 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
I don't know about $400? But, recently, I have seen more people in convenience stores buying very small quantities of gas for their cars - one or two dollars worth of fuel. maybe their parents owned the cars and they just wanted enough fuel to make it home? But I still do not think that is a sign of a strong economy. Perhaps somebody, that works in a convenience store can add to my observations?

By the way; the last time I went to an emergency room for a deep cut on the weekend; it cost over $900. I got one big band aid and a tetanus shot for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies