Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 11:51 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Looking at the behavior of the Texas 'affluenza' teen and his parents I'd say blaming only low-income parents doesn't come close to identifying the problem.

ya I wonder what percentage of those elite kids go to collage just to party??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 12:05 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Looking at the behavior of the Texas 'affluenza' teen and his parents I'd say blaming only low-income parents doesn't come close to identifying the problem.
I live in texas... in a pretty affluent suburb... let me say, I utterly agree with you.

we are raising soft ignorant self absorbed morons who can do some math and can read a bit but who are utterly weak, uber privileged and selfish beyond belief.

I was at a baseball game a few weeks ago. some kid was yelling marshmellow at the opposing team. (meaning they are soft) the Marshmellows were winning at the time.

broke their little hearts and they cried to their mommies so their mommies called the coaches of the meannies to get it fixed so the soft crybabies wouldn't get their feelings hurt.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:30 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
You threw down the gauntlet; identify the problem.
Quote:

Old 04-26-2016, 11:28 PM

248 posts, read 172,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
ya I wonder what percentage of those elite kids go to collage just to party??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I live in texas... in a pretty affluent suburb... let me say, I utterly agree with you.

we are raising soft ignorant self absorbed morons who can do some math and can read a bit but who are utterly weak, uber privileged and selfish beyond belief.

I was at a baseball game a few weeks ago. some kid was yelling marshmellow at the opposing team. (meaning they are soft) the Marshmellows were winning at the time.

broke their little hearts and they cried to their mommies so their mommies called the coaches of the meannies to get it fixed so the soft crybabies wouldn't get their feelings hurt.
Total deflection....
We're talking about the larger percentages here...people don't really care about the 2%.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:05 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
The problem is, has always been, and will continue to be people being selfish, arrogant, and prideful, and only caring about themselves (and possibly a select group of close family members in some capacity.) This applies to everyone regardless of wealth or any other characteristic.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:26 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Let me tell you how simple this is...a simple recipe to succeed in this country:
Learn to speak the english language CLEARLY...rid yourself of any foreign or illiterate accents. Look, dress and act like a legitimate human. (you know exactly what that means)
I swear sometimes I take a peek at some of these threads and it scares me from peeking at any more, especially those you can just tell are started by hard right-wingers.

This statement above is the epitome of what most people who know better would call "politically incorrect," and lots of people think that this call to be more politically correct is what is wrong with this country. How can simply being more civil and tolerant be a problem for so many people, I really don't know...

Take this statement I've picked out above. My parents are immigrants and my mother could not speak a word of English when I was born in Chicago. Yet, she got the first job in the states before my English speaking dad did. Of course, my mom speaks pretty good English today, but still with a heavy accent that she has just not been able to shake, heavy enough that sometimes when she had my friends over for dinner, and she would talk to them, they would turn to me to ask what she said.

She studied English best she could, and she has done her best to speak English best she could as she started her own successful antique store that primarily had English speaking people as customers. Most of them were not bi-lingual like she was, but I guess there are still some people out there that consider that accent as somehow second class.

Both my parents were good parents and strong contributors as American citizens when it comes to things like being self-sufficient, paying a good sum of taxes and being altogether good people in general.

On the other hand, it's those sorts of sentiments and comments in general, as quoted above, that I consider far less the act of a "legitimate human." I can't really think how best to otherwise sum up my reaction to your "simple recipe" other than to suggest you stick your simple recipe way up your...

Okay. I'm better than that. Just got to remember I'm better than that...

Old 04-27-2016, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 1,824 times
The problem is low IQ. US IQ is dropping due to immigration and other reasons.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:28 PM

248 posts, read 172,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
The problem is low IQ. US IQ is dropping due to immigration and other reasons.
Absolutely true...which leads to ignorant behaviors and decision making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I swear sometimes I take a peek at some of these threads and it scares me from peeking at any more, especially those you can just tell are started by hard right-wingers.

This statement above is the epitome of what most people who know better would call "politically incorrect," and lots of people think that this call to be more politically correct is what is wrong with this country. How can simply being more civil and tolerant be a problem for so many people, I really don't know...

Take this statement I've picked out above. My parents are immigrants and my mother could not speak a word of English when I was born in Chicago. Yet, she got the first job in the states before my English speaking dad did. Of course, my mom speaks pretty good English today, but still with a heavy accent that she has just not been able to shake, heavy enough that sometimes when she had my friends over for dinner, and she would talk to them, they would turn to me to ask what she said.

She studied English best she could, and she has done her best to speak English best she could as she started her own successful antique store that primarily had English speaking people as customers. Most of them were not bi-lingual like she was, but I guess there are still some people out there that consider that accent as somehow second class.

Both my parents were good parents and strong contributors as American citizens when it comes to things like being self-sufficient, paying a good sum of taxes and being altogether good people in general.

On the other hand, it's those sorts of sentiments and comments in general, as quoted above, that I consider far less the act of a "legitimate human." I can't really think how best to otherwise sum up my reaction to your "simple recipe" other than to suggest you stick your simple recipe way up your...

Okay. I'm better than that. Just got to remember I'm better than that...
This is to be expected; I'm not surprised at all...you're suppose to be offended by my blunt honesty...right? We gotta stick with our kind right? WRONG...why wouldn't you step back for a second and think..."Damn, this guy is right, most of my people do drag on the system." Come on, I'm not making this stuff up...watch your local news...it's all negative these days and you'll see who the stars of the show are...don't kid yourself, it's plain as day. You're story is awesome...good on you and your family but you and I both know you are the exception and certainly not the rule. Your success proves that anyone can do it, you just have to take some basic steps...and not be okay living in scum....more importantly parents have to take certain steps. I believe you should be pissed off at your people for keeping the stereotype alive and well.
With regard to speaking the language...again, COME ON! Speaking the english language clearly if you are living here should be paramount...communication skills are essential to getting a good job...not a kids job at Walmart or McDonalds where you can communicate with a head nod or a gesture but a good job with a career path.
Sorry if I offended you but I'm obviously not pointing the finger at people with your track record...this whole thread is aimed at the larger percentages. I always say: "Don't bring up that one case; nobody cares about the 1%."

Old 04-27-2016, 08:31 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
The root problem of this country is that were a dumb country. The majority of Americans know nothing about our history, government, or anything about the world

Old 04-28-2016, 09:40 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Absolutely true...which leads to ignorant behaviors and decision making.

This is to be expected; I'm not surprised at all...you're suppose to be offended by my blunt honesty...right? We gotta stick with our kind right? WRONG...why wouldn't you step back for a second and think..."Damn, this guy is right, most of my people do drag on the system." Come on, I'm not making this stuff up...watch your local news...it's all negative these days and you'll see who the stars of the show are...don't kid yourself, it's plain as day. You're story is awesome...good on you and your family but you and I both know you are the exception and certainly not the rule. Your success proves that anyone can do it, you just have to take some basic steps...and not be okay living in scum....more importantly parents have to take certain steps. I believe you should be pissed off at your people for keeping the stereotype alive and well.
With regard to speaking the language...again, COME ON! Speaking the english language clearly if you are living here should be paramount...communication skills are essential to getting a good job...not a kids job at Walmart or McDonalds where you can communicate with a head nod or a gesture but a good job with a career path.
Sorry if I offended you but I'm obviously not pointing the finger at people with your track record...this whole thread is aimed at the larger percentages. I always say: "Don't bring up that one case; nobody cares about the 1%."
That last point you make is the one I can certainly agree with, since I too have often pointed out that exceptions to the rule do not make the rule. However!

You are wrong to apply your bigotry as you do toward those you don't understand, like people with accents for example. True enough that one's ability to speak the native language and do it well is something of an advantage, but so is being bi-lingual! What you see on the news does not reflect the truth about all you don't see, and I don't have the time or inclination to explain all that to you, but I can tell you the story about "my people" is not as exceptional as you think!

From the people picking our fruits and vegetables to those cooking and washing our dishes in the back of restaurants, to the people doing the landscaping or construction jobs that would otherwise go undone, you won't see any news show covering those stories when everyone knows the "hunger" is for immigrant stories that threaten our lives and economic well being, whether truthfully reported or not!

I could go on with a good deal more, but I'd just be wasting my time as I have explained in "My Cement Theory" thread...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...nt-theory.html

Suffice to say, I surely do not agree that America is better off without the diversity; the people of different cultures, languages, different foods, dress, looks...

No way can I agree with your kind and those who might have your kind of heartburn over a different accent. You're the one that needs to do the thinking my friend, not me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies