Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 06:41 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
When it's 99% of the time the private sector that imposes "political correctness" on everyone. Sorry, your right to free speech stops when you enter someone else's private property; that includes the mass media, which is privately owned. It's their business decision not to allow obvious racist and sexist viewpoints to be printed or aired in a manner that seems like it's an endorsement on the company. The First Amendment ONLY protects your right to speech from government interference, except by court order or contract, not from another private individual or organization. If you want to start seeing news that isn't politically correct, then start your own TV station.
It absolutely IS oppression because it is NEVER applied consistently or equally.
Curt Schilling was fired for tweeting an offensive image about the transgender bathroom debate.

Kenny Mayne also works at ESPN, tweeted this a few years back and there was no outrage, he wasn't fired and it's 10x worse than what Schilling tweeted...

"almost rammed car with palin bumper sticker. with intent.. held up..coulda been kids in car."
https://twitter.com/kenny_mayne/stat...76974363852800

Conservative commentators are endlessly called out for saying outrageous and offensive things yet when a liberal commentator does so, there is silence and it's a non-issue.

Olbermann called Malkin, “A big mashed-up piece of meat with lipstick on it:”
Olbermann on Malkin: ‘A Big Mashed-up Piece of Meat with Lipstick on It.’ Malkin Responds | TVNewser
This was a non-story when it happened and most people never heard of it. Can you IMAGINE the outrage if a conservative commentator said this about a liberal?

The "Religion of peace" punishes homosexuality by death and throws gay people off of rooftops. Yet there is more outrage when Christian bakers refuse to bake gay wedding cakes.

It really does become a form of oppression when it favors certain groups over others and then PRETENDS that it is about civility and tolerance. it ISN'T and it never was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 06:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
When it's 99% of the time the private sector that imposes "political correctness" on everyone. Sorry, your right to free speech stops when you enter someone else's private property; that includes the mass media, which is privately owned. It's their business decision not to allow obvious racist and sexist viewpoints to be printed or aired in a manner that seems like it's an endorsement on the company. The First Amendment ONLY protects your right to speech from government interference, except by court order or contract, not from another private individual or organization. If you want to start seeing news that isn't politically correct, then start your own TV station.

Really? The things you learn on these boards!

Old 04-25-2016, 06:50 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Religious Right my ass! NO LAW WAS PASSED. Tipper used her connections and influence in CONGRESS to cow the recording industry into "voluntarily" labeling music.
You are arguing semantics. How does that change the argument? Laws vs congressional pressure? The argument is still the same. And yes, the religious right was fully in her corner while popular culture was against her.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:58 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You are arguing semantics. How does that change the argument? Laws vs congressional pressure? The argument is still the same. And yes, the religious right was fully in her corner while popular culture was against her.
The only thing she accomplished was getting records labeled. Those "offensive" records were still played on the radio. As I became a parent, I understood this issue a little differently. There was really nothing wrong with wanting labels on albums. It was highly controversial at the time though, because record labels didn't want anything to prevent their major customers from buying the records. The target audience for the type of music that would get the labels were generally young people.

I was a teenager at the time, and I can't recall a single time a record seller told me I couldn't purchase it without a parent's permission, so it was moot anyway.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The only thing she accomplished was getting records labeled. Those "offensive" records were still played on the radio. As I became a parent, I understood this issue a little differently. There was really nothing wrong with wanting labels on albums. It was highly controversial at the time though, because record labels didn't want anything to prevent their major customers from buying the records. The target audience for the type of music that would get the labels were generally young people.
No, I agree. But I think the take home point here is that it used to be young people that were against stifling free expression, and the older generations that were for it. Now the roles are reversed. Maybe it was because of our rebellion against people like Tipper Gore that we place more value on free speech? I don't know, but what I do know is that the tides have shifted, and I think, for the worst.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:10 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
'guys' crosses gender. plenty examples of usage referencing males and females.

now the term 'lady' could get you in trouble as it implies a behavioral standard
We are so freakin doomed....doomed I say.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:00 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
No, I agree. But I think the take home point here is that it used to be young people that were against stifling free expression, and the older generations that were for it. Now the roles are reversed. Maybe it was because of our rebellion against people like Tipper Gore that we place more value on free speech? I don't know, but what I do know is that the tides have shifted, and I think, for the worst.
We are in complete agreement. Just look at this thread to see that it will only get worse.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Prince? I remember the 80s very well, and if people were offended by Prince, they were in the minority.
That was Tipper Gore. Al Gore's wife. Democrats.

Quote:
"Back in the late 1980s, the Parents Music Resource Center, co-founded by Mary "Tipper" Gore, wife of then-Senator Al Gore, began pushing for warning labels on music with explicit lyrics. Topping a list of 15 songs that the group compiled to present as examples was Prince's "Darling Nikki."
How Prince Shook Up the Music Industry - ABC News

Old 04-25-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That was Tipper Gore. Al Gore's wife. Democrats.

Yes. She was a democrat. I'm not a democrat, and I don't typically defend them, but I don't think it is fair to pin this on them, as a whole. Small factions in both parties were in favor of this.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:37 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
No, Prince was not considered offensive in the '80s. Where did you hear that?
Yes, he was. Tipper and Al Gore (Democrats) led the charge...

Prince Dead: Darling Nikki Led to Parental Advisory Stickers

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies