Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 07:29 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No election has even been lost because of voter fraud. So what's the real reason for an ID
No election has been lost because a few lazy didn't prepare enough to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
False.

How Johnson Won Election He'd Lost - NYTimes.com

Though I do agree IDs would not have mattered in this case.
That is not "voter fraud' that is board of elections fraud in the democratic primary although never proven.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:31 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
There is a lot of rural areas in our country and nest of people who never leave their neighborhood. Yea really. money is very tight $20 for a drivers license/ID and never have a car. Here in Orlando the tax n DL places have combined. The wait it miserable unless make an appt. I drive, but be a real pain if I have to go there, sometimes it's in another town- nothing local.
So all these people who never voted because of no interest or not wanting to be selected to be icked for jury duty, suddenly are being deprived????

Sad commentary that a motivated voter cannot, in the 4 or 2 years between elections, get a free voter id.

Where is the democrat bus rounding up all those folks for a trip to get an id? the effort and cash spent on lawsuits would be better spent and produce more voters if free rides for voter id were offerred.

Cherry pick some isolated case of a hermit and claim it represents millions of voters, all of whom would vote the straight line dem ticket of course.

We are overrun with illegal aliens and all the visa runaways and refugees unaccounted for, along with dead people and snowbirds. Do you think for an instant that voting is the only activity that is free from fraud. Logic in this case trumps weak and biased statistics.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:35 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Requiring poor people to pay for an ID is equal to a "poll tax" and as such, it does take that right away.

Hey, if these states are willing to offer free picture IDs to residents, I'm fine with the requirement.

Let's be honest, we all know these requirements have nothing to do with voter fraud and are all about disenfranchisement.

Look at Texas.

Their law allowed for concealed carry permits to be used as identification, but not college IDs. Explain to me how that is not disenfranchisement.

Why would we ever want to prevent college students from using their student ID to vote? Could it be because many of them won't vote for the people making the law?

And while you are at it, please show me where voter fraud has been committed by people using college IDs and never by someone using a concealed carry permit.
My friend from S Africa has a student id. Do we allow her to vote?

Old 08-03-2016, 07:44 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
. Requiring poor people to pay for an ID is equal to a "poll tax" and as such, it does take that right away.
In Texas, they will give you an ID for free ( TxDPS - Election Identification Certificate (EIC) ).

Additionally, you don't need to have an ID, transportation or even money for a stamp to vote by mail. ( Welcome to VoteTexas.gov » Need ID? )

Quote:
.Hey, if these states are willing to offer free picture IDs to residents, I'm fine with the requirement.
Which states that require an ID don't have a way to vote without it via mail or a free alternative? The last thing I read said they all do.

Quote:
.Let's be honest, we all know these requirements have nothing to do with voter fraud and are all about disenfranchisement.
Let's be honest, everybody has the ability to vote, and an ID doesn't change that. Having an ID only stops fraud.

Quote:
.Look at Texas.

Their law allowed for concealed carry permits to be used as identification, but not college IDs. Explain to me how that is not disenfranchisement.
I used to make my own college ID to get the student discount at the movies.

Quote:
.Why would we ever want to prevent college students from using their student ID to vote? Could it be because many of them won't vote for the people making the law?
No, it's because IDs from colleges aren't official and a foreigner's college ID is no different than a citizens college ID.

Quote:
.And while you are at it, please show me where voter fraud has been committed by people using college IDs and never by someone using a concealed carry permit.
Show me I was speeding sometime in the last year. Just because I wasn't caught doesn't mean I didn't speed practically every day.

Quote:
No election has even been lost because of voter fraud. So what's the real reason for an ID
You don't know that.

If Texas didn't require an ID, I could illegally vote dozens of times without ever being caught. Nobody would ever know.

Quote:
Seriously? You think thousands of people or more committed voter fraud to rig an election. It's up to you to tell me though since you want everyone to have an ID.
An ID requirement won't stop anybody who wants to vote from voting. That's just a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If your middle name was spelled wrong on your birth certificate, you could still get your 'gun permit', but in many states that would keep you from getting a voter ID. THAT is the problem, if ID's were free, easy to get and made accommodations for people who don't have a birth certificate or their divorce papers from 50 years ago this would not be an issue.
Not in Texas. Welcome to VoteTexas.gov » Need ID?

Read it. You'll see your assumption is not based on fact in Texas, so where is it a fact?

Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Where does it say a picture ID is required.

These states already have a process the only problem was they couldn't remove a certain demographic from the scrolls.
The powers of the federal government are enumerated according to strict constitutionalists. This should be left up to the state. No federal law should either require or disallow a ID requirement.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:32 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
A Texas handgun license is issued by the Department of Public Safety, the same department that issues identification or licenses to drive. I assume they require the same paperwork (birth certificate and proof of residency). To get a student ID, you have to register for college. They accept foreign students and those here illegally. It's not proof of eligibility for anything but the college.
This is true - it's also true that a student can use their home address/ID to vote in one place and their student ID to vote in another place. Helps to explain why college campuses are so popular with Leftists for their Campaign Rallies and registration drives. Double Dipping

I read Eric Holders lawsuit against the Texas Voter ID - 1st item on his list of complaints was the Student ID.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:56 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Would those against needing ID to vote also be against needing ID to exercise other freedoms? Like buying firearms?

Old 08-03-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
This is true - it's also true that a student can use their home address/ID to vote in one place and their student ID to vote in another place. Helps to explain why college campuses are so popular with Leftists for their Campaign Rallies and registration drives. Double Dipping

I read Eric Holders lawsuit against the Texas Voter ID - 1st item on his list of complaints was the Student ID.
If that is true it should be easy to prove but they have no statistics to support that contention.

Old 08-03-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The powers of the federal government are enumerated according to strict constitutionalists. This should be left up to the state. No federal law should either require or disallow a ID requirement.
It is left up to the states as long as they don't discriminate. It would be better to have federal standards rather than the patchwork we have today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies