Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 03:59 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times

Advertisements

Something along the way today reminded me of what explains Independents, those who are neither registered as Democrats or Republicans. I have long felt that Independents simply don't follow politics all that closely and/or don't know much about politics and/or don't know much about what either party platform really stands for and/or don't really know where they stand within the political spectrum and/or...?

To this end, I have long had in mind to develop a tool and/or questionnaire that would help people figure out what party they should support. I haven't done that yet, but until then there is this that might help those of you who either don't know and would like to find out or maybe just confirm what you think you already know in these regards.

If you would like, perhaps to get a demographic of C-D visitors to this thread, please take this quiz and post your results.

Where Do You Fit in the Political Typology?

Political Typology Quiz | Pew Research Center

Apparently I am a "solid liberal" that Pew describes as follows:

"Generally affluent and highly educated, most Solid Liberals strongly support the social safety net and take very liberal positions on virtually all issues. Most say they always vote Democratic and are unflagging supporters of Barack Obama. Overall, Solid Liberals are very optimistic about the nation’s future and are the most likely to say that America’s success is linked to its ability to change, rather than its reliance on long-standing principles. On foreign policy, Solid Liberals overwhelmingly believe that good diplomacy – rather than military strength – is the best way to ensure peace."

Old 04-21-2016, 04:39 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
I got Next Generation Left.

Based on some of the descriptions, I would say it's fairly accurate. Most in this group feel gay people should be accepted, many in it call themselves moderates, most are college educated or financially stable (I'm in college), and few consider religion to be overly important in their lives. As a whole, they're more socially liberal and open to new sorts of ideas but are fairly moderate, and in some cases quiet conservative, on economic issues.

It's not a perfect fit, but I always tended to see myself as being very moderate, but usually leaning to the left. I value compromise above winning though.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:46 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I got Next Generation Left.

Based on some of the descriptions, I would say it's fairly accurate. Most in this group feel gay people should be accepted, many in it call themselves moderates, most are college educated or financially stable (I'm in college), and few consider religion to be overly important in their lives. As a whole, they're more socially liberal and open to new sorts of ideas but are fairly moderate, and in some cases quiet conservative, on economic issues.

It's not a perfect fit, but I always tended to see myself as being very moderate, but usually leaning to the left. I value compromise above winning though.
I hear you, and I would say the survey is fairly accurate as well, but I did have to think a bit about some of the questions where I really felt I could go either way. For example, the description of "Solid Liberal" (me), includes this statement, "Solid Liberals overwhelmingly believe that good diplomacy – rather than military strength – is the best way to ensure peace."

Again, I could go either way on that choice depending on what considerations are factored, but I happened to pick military strength as the best way to ensure peace. I guess the rest of my answers kept me in the "Solid Liberal" camp nevertheless...

Old 04-21-2016, 04:50 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Young Outsider.

Quote:
This relatively young, largely independent group holds a mix of conservative and liberal views. And while more lean toward the Republican Party than the Democratic Party, Young Outsiders generally express unfavorable opinions of both major parties. They are largely skeptical of activist government, as a substantial majority views government as wasteful and inefficient. Yet many diverge from the two conservative typology groups – Steadfast Conservatives and Business Conservatives – in their strong support for the environment and many liberal social policies. Compare groups on key issues.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:52 PM

5,363 posts, read 5,141,382 times
I'm a next gen left. For not liking the questions that much, that category fits pretty well. Apparently I'm pretty typical of people in my demographic, with bystanders being the other big category.

It's pretty accurate though... Supports free trade, favorable view of wall st. though big corporations get too many benefits, supports immigration, not too distrustful of governmental actions but pretty wary about expanding the social safety net. Liberal views on social stances...

Interesting.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:55 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Something along the way today reminded me of what explains Independents, those who are neither registered as Democrats or Republicans. I have long felt that Independents simply don't follow politics all that closely and/or don't know much about politics and/or don't know much about what either party platform really stands for and/or don't really know where they stand within the political spectrum and/or...?
I think there are some faulty assumptions here. I know about politics, I know what the parties say they stand for, and I know where I fall on the political spectrum. The parties are not about ideology though, at least not the two main ones. They are about gaining and maintaining power first and foremost, and craft their messages around what they believe will help them do that. They have had a corrosive effect on the political climate. Far too many people form their political opinions based on what the parties say, rather than deliberating for themselves.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:59 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,304 times
The test is biased to give a more favorable view to those with liberal leanings. It scored me 'next generation left', yet while I am very liberal on all social issues and see the most salient investments in terms of global economy, I am very much a fiscal conservative, or libertarian.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:04 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
The test is biased to give a more favorable view to those with liberal leanings. It scored me 'next generation left', yet while I am very liberal on all social issues and see the most salient investments in terms of global economy, I am very much a fiscal conservative, or libertarian.
According to the description, many in that demographic are skeptical of expanding social welfare, favor capitalism, and have more positive feelings in regards to Wall Steet's effect on the economy. I don't think that's inconsistent with being a fiscal conservative.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:07 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
It was on fairly on target with my description, however I don't see this as anything new. Slightly different flavor, but I've seen these things before..

Old 04-21-2016, 05:18 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

To this end, I have long had in mind to develop a tool and/or questionnaire that would help people figure out what party they should support. I haven't done that yet, but until then there is this that might help those of you who either don't know and would like to find out or maybe just confirm what you think you already know in these regards.

If you would like, perhaps to get a demographic of C-D visitors to this thread, please take this quiz and post your results.

Where Do You Fit in the Political Typology?

Political Typology Quiz | Pew Research Center

Apparently I am a "solid liberal" that Pew describes as follows:

"Generally affluent and highly educated, most Solid Liberals strongly support the social safety net and take very liberal positions on virtually all issues. Most say they always vote Democratic and are unflagging supporters of Barack Obama. Overall, Solid Liberals are very optimistic about the nation’s future and are the most likely to say that America’s success is linked to its ability to change, rather than its reliance on long-standing principles. On foreign policy, Solid Liberals overwhelmingly believe that good diplomacy – rather than military strength – is the best way to ensure peace."
The test you linked it stupid as it is completely linear. It is only capable of telling you how Republican or Democratic you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies