Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:26 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,751,473 times

Advertisements

I guess Egypt isnt part of africa.... smh.... 5000 years of being the most advanced civilization of its time. Mysteries even todays european "scholars" cant solve. Before anyone counters with the "but but but wait they were not black" , the Egyptions created images and drawings and sculptures of themselves AND their warring neighbors the nubians ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 04:48 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I guess Egypt isnt part of africa.... smh.... 5000 years of being the most advanced civilization of its time. Mysteries even todays european "scholars" cant solve. Before anyone counters with the "but but but wait they were not black" , the Egyptions created images and drawings and sculptures of themselves AND their warring neighbors the nubians ...
Exactly. They weren't black.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:51 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
LISTEN UP.

I am Latino/Hispanic (Puerto Rican/Venezuelan) and I am SICK of this whole "White privilege" non-sense. Yes there's racism, yes there's bigotry, yes there's injustices to "people of color' (I hate that term) and sure there's instance where I have witnessed and known where White people do get away with a little more than non-white folks. Guess what though? I DO NOT CARE.

I'm tired of this liberal agenda on privledge non-sense where us non-white folks have to always try and guilt trip White people and ask for apologies and free passes because we're "oppressed". This is AMERICA and I have the power to change things, to get opportunities, to make money, get a big boat, get a couple of nice beaties, make good money, snort coke off some hot Russians booty. I DO NOT want apologies and guilty from White people or ANYONE. I don't want annoying stupid White liberals who are big time PIG TIME closet racist to tell me I have to make the "White Man" give me things. NOPE. NOT ME.

I have a friend who's Black and grew up in a very good home in the suburbs, FANTASTIC parents who have took care of him and groomed him to be an exemplary person. He's never dealt with the hood, with the ghetto, with the streets like I did. Is he privileged?

On the contrary, one of my ex-girlfriends (who I am still friends with) is White, grew up dirt poor in the country side and is STILL in the countryside and still poor living off welfare for the mean time. I watch out for her when I can and come through with some money and food for her and her daughter. That's what friends do. Again, I am Latino, she's White, am I more privileged than her?

I'm tired of this White Privledge non-sense. I know some White people may get a fairer shake in life than some other races and like I said, THAT'S OKAY WITH ME. Because I am NEVER going to ask anyone to apologize to me, instead I WIN. I look for ways to improve me life so NO ONE can tell me anything. I AM A WINNER, NOT A LOSER, NOT A COMPLAINER. That's what America is about, WIN, WIN, WIN, WIN. I'm not asking the White man to owe me or give me anything.
Speak for yourself, brother. I'm Puerto Rican mixed with Asian and white, and while I'm not one of the whiny SJWs that need a "safe space", you still gotta admit there IS racial discrimination in many ways in the US, especially to those of us who do not have predominantly Caucasian features. Explain to me how dark Hispanics who are 100% equally qualified as an Anglo White still gets turned down for job offers or promotions in favor of John Smith? Or someone named Jane Smith gets the upper hand over Joe Rodriguez even though Joe has been with the company longer than Jane? THAT is white privilege.

White privilege was never about monetary status. White privilege is ALL about being given the benefit of the doubt due to your race. To me, personally, the only thing that matters to me are not the racist words some people might say (I have pretty thick skin growing up in a very white bread town), the only thing I ask, and you should ask too, is for society to stop assuming we're idiots, lesser qualified, not fit for leadership positions, etc., because we're not 100% European. That's complaining to be a loser, that's asking to me treated fairly. Or maybe you're one of those Hispanics that were born and raised in the US with not a single trace of a foreign accent and are extremely white passing like Marco Rubio and haven't experienced discrimination in your life. If that's the case, you don't have any room to complain about those of us who call out "white privilege" for lack of a better term.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:23 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Speak for yourself, brother. I'm Puerto Rican mixed with Asian and white, and while I'm not one of the whiny SJWs that need a "safe space", you still gotta admit there IS racial discrimination in many ways in the US, especially to those of us who do not have predominantly Caucasian features. Explain to me how dark Hispanics who are 100% equally qualified as an Anglo White still gets turned down for job offers or promotions in favor of John Smith? Or someone named Jane Smith gets the upper hand over Joe Rodriguez even though Joe has been with the company longer than Jane? THAT is white privilege.

White privilege was never about monetary status. White privilege is ALL about being given the benefit of the doubt due to your race. To me, personally, the only thing that matters to me are not the racist words some people might say (I have pretty thick skin growing up in a very white bread town), the only thing I ask, and you should ask too, is for society to stop assuming we're idiots, lesser qualified, not fit for leadership positions, etc., because we're not 100% European. That's complaining to be a loser, that's asking to me treated fairly. Or maybe you're one of those Hispanics that were born and raised in the US with not a single trace of a foreign accent and are extremely white passing like Marco Rubio and haven't experienced discrimination in your life. If that's the case, you don't have any room to complain about those of us who call out "white privilege" for lack of a better term.
A races success in American MIRRORS their races success in their home countries. Example.. Mexico and Mexican Americans. African countries and blacks in America. European countries and whites in America. The list goes on. You can't blame the failure of races in their own countries on privelege or racism. Please. I mean why are they even in a position to be discriminated against? White made up like %10 of South Africa and still hold all the wealth.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,813,670 times
A couple nights ago we were grocery shopping. When we came up to the checkout stand there was a line waiting. Directly in front of us was a hispanic couple. In front of them a black man. My wife and I are white. We all had shopping carts with about the same amount food in them.

A cashier then walks out, points to us at the back of the line and says she can take one more cart. I said, these people were here waiting long before us. Her answer was, "Forget it then. I'm almost off the clock." and she walked away. When we got up to the checkout stand we told the cashier who usually helps us each week what had happened and she said she heard it and shook her head in disgust.

This is the first time I have ever seen anything like this in person. There was no reason for the cashier to insist on helping my wife and I but none of the people in front of us. Yesterday I called the store manager and explained what happened. He said he would be talking to both employees to get to the bottom of it. I guess we will find out what happened when we do our shopping next week.
This is 2016 and we have came a long ways. Yet sadly, we still have a long ways to go.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
A races success in American MIRRORS their races success in their home countries. Example.. Mexico and Mexican Americans. African countries and blacks in America. European countries and whites in America. The list goes on. You can't blame the failure of races in their own countries on privelege or racism. Please. I mean why are they even in a position to be discriminated against? White made up like %10 of South Africa and still hold all the wealth.
You are reinforcing exactly what I'm talking about. So no matter how hard we try, we'll never be as good as Anglos because our brethren back home live in squalor according to you. Are you a Trump supporter?

Old 05-17-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
A couple nights ago we were grocery shopping. When we came up to the checkout stand there was a line waiting. Directly in front of us was a hispanic couple. In front of them a black man. My wife and I are white. We all had shopping carts with about the same amount food in them.

A cashier then walks out, points to us at the back of the line and says she can take one more cart. I said, these people were here waiting long before us. Her answer was, "Forget it then. I'm almost off the clock." and she walked away. When we got up to the checkout stand we told the cashier who usually helps us each week what had happened and she said she heard it and shook her head in disgust.

This is the first time I have ever seen anything like this in person. There was no reason for the cashier to insist on helping my wife and I but none of the people in front of us. Yesterday I called the store manager and explained what happened. He said he would be talking to both employees to get to the bottom of it. I guess we will find out what happened when we do our shopping next week.
This is 2016 and we have came a long ways. Yet sadly, we still have a long ways to go.
This is racism in 2016. A lot of people still think racism manifests itself the same way as in 1960, which isn't true anymore. I mean, heck, a Mississippi town was recently forced to desegregate it's middle and high schools!

Old 05-17-2016, 06:11 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I was in the supermarket this afternoon and I overheard a conversation between a vendor who was stocking the shelves and a store employee. The vendor was black.

The store employee asked how the vendor's day was going and he said that he got accused of stealing by some elderly person who reported him to store security. I guess he saw a black man in a non-store uniform handling lots of merchandise (he was stocking shelves) and assumed he was stealing or something.

I can't explain the "logic" behind that one, it boggles the mind how someone is stocking shelves could look like they were stealing. So the store security brushed the guy off but I guess still told the vendor about it.

So, I was thinking.. I would never be in a situation like that. Where people assume the worst about me based on how I look and I thought of how many other times he likely witnessed casual racism like that in his life.

So, I can see the argument where I have a privilege or an advantage to move about in life without people assuming the worst about me based on how I look.

Although, I don't really see it so much as a privilege since I see privileges as something above and beyond what most people have or should have. I don't see how being treated with simple respect should be a privilege. It's more of a burden when you are not.

I also think many white liberals and black lives matter folks take this notion to some ridiculous extremes but I can see where the basic idea has merit.
Obama certainly set the stage for that type of erroneous thinking!
"The president said he's even been mistaken for a valet driver outside a restaurant. "There's no black male my age, who's a professional, who hasn't come out of a restaurant and is waiting for their car and somebody didn't hand them their car keys," he said.

Another time, the first lady recalled, Mr. Obama "was wearing a tuxedo at a black-tie dinner, and somebody asked him to get coffee."
Obama: I've been mistaken for a valet driver - CBS News

Everyone who dresses white top black bottom has been mistaken for the help, regardless of skin colour. Every relatively tall person has been asked to get something off a high shelf in a grocery store. It's ridiculous to think that those things only happen to black people because they are black.

Believe it or not, everyone is subject to suspicion for theft - again, this is not something that is owned by any particular colour of skin.

If someone wants to make an argument that white people are treated differently from everyone else because of colour of skin, find something that has never happened to someone with white skin to make the argument.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 PM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

>>> It sounds like you're projecting racism into a situation where it probably didn't exist. Could it be that the cashier was just a poor worker who has a terrible work ethic and poor social skills? Well, welcome to what society has become as its gotten " better" from how it used to be.
I had a similar situation today. I went into a local sub place for lunch and placed an order to go. I waited for them to fill my order and after a minute or two a young guy got up from the corner where he had been texting. He muttered about waiting and stood by the door. Other people came in and picked up their orders. He then very angrily went to the counter and wanted to know why his to go sandwich was taking so long. There it was on the counter. He got mad he had been waiting and wanted to know if it was still okay to eat after a half hour. Maybe it was 15 minutes the owner said. I had to smile as he left still muttering. Had he waited there and been more visible he could have gotten the sandwich earlier. Had the counter people been more attentive they could have called him over. Had he been black and not white he could have said it was racism. Get the picture? And many times I'm in line when another register opens up. Half the time the people in the back rush over no matter that they were in line the shortest time. Its not worth worrying about. I always let the people ahead of me move first, but that's just me.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:40 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,447,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
A delusional and racist elderly person reporting a vendor as a shoplifter is not a representation of what is or could be 'white privilege' based on an assumption that it would not happen to a white person.
Hmmm ... if you see something report it. I still believe in that.

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies