Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 10:19 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Then why hasn't Texas done anything to solve its healthcare at the state level? That's the point, Ted Cruz and Governor Abbot obviously don't like ACA but haven't offered a solution when they denied Medicaid expansion.
It will either ruin their political careers or it won't. The genie's out of the bottle and if universal healthcare plays well in other states, then Texas' hand will be forced by the will of the people.

Of course that's assuming that everyone will be happier with universal healthcare -- which is by no means a foregone conclusion.

I'd rather see both parties get serious about cracking down on exploitative healthcare costs first before we do anything else.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
For the life of me, I cannot understand why politicians keep saying they will "repeal" Obamacare. IMO, that is a bad statement to make. I have yet to hear a viable plan from any of them to replace it. If they actually had a better plan, I can see them saying something like "We will replace the ACA with a new & improved plan that will do blah, blah, blah". However, there are people who are currently using Obamacare, for better or worse, and just to say they are going to repeal it and leave it at that, it's like "yeah, and then what? Then what am I going to do?"

Besides being a horrible political move, I think it is just downright disingenuous. You can't just yank away health insurance coverage from people and a system years in the making and leave it at that.

It doesn't matter. The private insurers will all bail out (as they are losing thier shirts in the exchanges) and "Obamacare exchanges" will simply be a further expansion of medicaid (as it has so far).

Obamacare will fall under its own weight.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:34 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Agreed. People point to other countries where it "works" but the significant difference in population seems to be overlooked.
So the only countries the US can replicate are China and India?

The argument that a high population making universal healthcare impossible make no sense. If anything, it should make if easier due to scalability and more citizens paying taxes.

Now, note that I said 'citizens'. We can't afford to have only Americans paying into the system, but anyone in the world who hops the border being able to use it.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:44 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It will either ruin their political careers or it won't. The genie's out of the bottle and if universal healthcare plays well in other states, then Texas' hand will be forced by the will of the people.

Of course that's assuming that everyone will be happier with universal healthcare -- which is by no means a foregone conclusion.

I'd rather see both parties get serious about cracking down on exploitative healthcare costs first before we do anything else.
I'm tired of policies that resemble cutting off your nose to spite your face. I guess the millions of uninsured folks will continue to cost the system money short term and long term while politicians sit on their hands.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:48 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
For the life of me, I cannot understand why politicians keep saying they will "repeal" Obamacare. IMO, that is a bad statement to make. I have yet to hear a viable plan from any of them to replace it. If they actually had a better plan, I can see them saying something like "We will replace the ACA with a new & improved plan that will do blah, blah, blah". However, there are people who are currently using Obamacare, for better or worse, and just to say they are going to repeal it and leave it at that, it's like "yeah, and then what? Then what am I going to do?"

Besides being a horrible political move, I think it is just downright disingenuous. You can't just yank away health insurance coverage from people and a system years in the making and leave it at that.

Both Cruz and Trump have alternative plans on their websites. It's easy to find.

As for "yanking away health insurance coverage"... That's EXACTLY what Obamacare did to nearly 6 million people. Their coverage was cancelled.... without warning and without the permission of the policy holder. And this is only going to get worse.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:49 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It is, and we will make it your responsibility.

Stalin much? Geez...

Old 04-28-2016, 08:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
It doesn't matter. The private insurers will all bail out (as they are losing thier shirts in the exchanges) and "Obamacare exchanges" will simply be a further expansion of medicaid (as it has so far).

Obamacare will fall under its own weight.
I have read somewhere that is by design, so that the government will have to come in to save the system with single payer. Can't remember where I read it, but it was just prior to the passage of it.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:12 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Until Obama is out of office nothing will get done. He will veto any Bill brought in to replace, even a much better law.

No way will Obama sign any law that replaces Ocare. It's his biggest failure and he's basically a well paid golfer at this point.
But of course, there have been no better bills brought forth by the Repooplicans.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Wrong again... if you don't know what you are talking about, its better not to say anything at all... there was ZERO offers for Republican input before and after the law was created and passed... and the only changes that were made, were done so because the law was so FLAWED, it needed corrections to it and was done so with BOTH parties approving it... in fact, the UNIONS had lobby the democrats to EXEMPT them from the Cadillac tax, pretty funny... NOT... if you are going to say something right, make sure it is actually right... the original bill couldn't pass cause the DEMOCRATS didn't even believe in it... that's how stupid the original law was... don't play it off as anything else... the democrats own Obamacare 5000%... anything less is BS lies...
Then perhaps you'd better stop talking...because what did the Republicans do about health care in the 8 years previous under Georgie? NADA.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It does not need to be replaced. Returning to the status quo is all we want. I want my previous options back.
And to hell with those without insurance. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies