Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 05:48 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Pregnancy is not sickness. Totally different.

You make the decision to become pregnant; you don't make the decision to become sick.

It's not fair because people who don't plan to be pregnant are not getting the time off. I had a friend who had three babies in a roll. This happened in Canada where the employer had to keep her job open for one year each time over the six year period and the taxpayers paid her leaves (80% pay) for 3 years.

Isn't that wonderful?
Oh boo-****ing-hoo.

I know many women who have had babies, a few in quick succession and returned to work.
Their jobs kept open for them, and they have returned to work and will pay more in taxes, then what the tax payers 'paid' her.

One of my friends has just taken 2 months off leave to care for their 8 month old baby before they place the child in daycare, when they return back to work. He is really enjoying the time with their child, which the mother experienced for the first 8 month, under parental leave.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:26 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
The doctors and nurses still need to be paid and the insurance companies pay them. If they weren't paid, they would not be able to save our lives. Someone needs to pay them, either us or the insurance companies.

UHC is in the insurance business. Making insurance available and affordable to more people is not innovative? Running a business with 3.6% margin with 200,000 people is not innovative?

I do not glorify UHC. UHC is just another business, not much different from Microsoft, McDonald, or Walmart. I'd be saying exactly the same thing for those business too.

Why no profit margin? It's a for profit business not a charity.

You are against the insurance. Yes, we do need better competition. Let's get rid of the Obamacare so that there will be more competition.
I finally get your point. You do not distinguish true capitalism from crony capitalism. You fail to see these companies have to grease the wheels of congress to operate.

You also equate innovation and creation of new technologies with a company that has not created anything. As I said insurance is a very old concept and was initially done as a COOP among citizens. There is no need for 66 million dollar men directing a system that can be run by a good computer programmer and a physician that is simply interested in providing medical care for a fee.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:30 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
How is that unfair? If someone gets very sick and needs off for an operation or treatment, is that unfair to the rest of the employees that the employee got time off from work and not them?
Nope. Like I said, if ALL employees get treated the same it's fine. If all employees get the same amount of leave, paid or not, it's fair.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:33 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Well maybe if you (in general you, not actually YOU) didn't eat unhealthy or smoke, you wouldn't have had the heart attack. Why should anyone subsidize you taking off for something that you brought on yourself? Pregnancy isn't always planned and neither is heart attacks. The delivery is known about ahead of time at least so the employee can do her best to handle things at work since she knows she will be out for a period of time.
It's called insurance for something that's unpredictable. There's no definite way to prevent heart disease or diabetes. Eating healthy may help but it's not definite.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:05 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:
It's called insurance for something that's unpredictable. There's no definite way to prevent heart disease or diabetes. Eating healthy may help but it's not definite.
I don't know anything about you, but one day you may decide that you would like a child. Your entire logic on how this works will change. That's the last thing I will say on this topic.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:03 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Actually,women can go back to work 5 days after giving birth.

Most of the mothers in 3rd world countries do,so what makes American mothers different?
What is the point in comparing a 3rd world country to a developed 1st world country?

They go back to work...and to what type of jobs?

Who takes care of the 5 day old? Do they strap the baby on and take it with them to their job?

Daycare centers in America won't take a 5 day old baby. Standard is 6 weeks old. Want a nanny to watch the 5 day old? Nannies are much more expensive than daycare centers.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:04 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Maternity leave is basically asking the employers or consumers to subsidize other people's children.
No it isn't. It has nothing to do with a child and everything to do with the employee.

The US isn't Canada where a year of maternity leave is paid for by the government via tax dollars.

It's either company policy (hard to find, unless something has drastically changed since 1999) or you collect disability for 6 weeks. Which you paid in to and comes nowhere close to your weekly salary - even if you get the highest amount disability will pay out.

Quote:
There's no need for maternity leave. Pregnancy is a decision made by each individual not an unavoidable medical condition. They should have known how to manage child caring. For example, negotiating with the employer to take unpaid leave or just quit the job and find a new one later.
Maternity leave can also be a term used for why someone who gave birth isn't at the job for a few weeks - and the company doesn't necessarily pay for it.

Should have known how to manage child caring? What does that mean?

Quote:
What's the difference between "Hey, I decided to travel the world for three months," and "Hey, I decided to have babies and need three months off." They are both personal decisions.
One isn't a vacation while the other is.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:35 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Quote:
It's really up to the individual. A month may be more reasonable.

How Soon to Return to Work After Giving Birth? | Al Jazeera America
Quote:
Pregnancy is not sickness. Totally different.

You make the decision to become pregnant; you don't make the decision to become sick.

It's not fair because people who don't plan to be pregnant are not getting the time off. I had a friend who had three babies in a roll. This happened in Canada where the employer had to keep her job open for one year each time over the six year period and the taxpayers paid her leaves (80% pay) for 3 years.

Isn't that wonderful?
It's not a sickness but it's very hard on the body. Just look at any book or website on pregnancy symptoms and complications and the list is very long. I myself was hospitalized during both pregnancies for severe dehydration due to vomiting multiple times a day from morning sickness my entire pregnancy. I also developed postpartum hypertension for over a year after I gave birth despite being thin and in good shape.

Not everything in life has to be equal. I don't think it's fair that woman have to deal with pregnancy and bleeding every month and menopause and men don't but those are the cards we've been dealt.

Also people pay for insurance that pays for their maternity leave in Canada. It's not all funded by the taxpayer.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Oh boo-****ing-hoo.

I know many women who have had babies, a few in quick succession and returned to work.
Their jobs kept open for them, and they have returned to work and will pay more in taxes, then what the tax payers 'paid' her.

One of my friends has just taken 2 months off leave to care for their 8 month old baby before they place the child in daycare, when they return back to work. He is really enjoying the time with their child, which the mother experienced for the first 8 month, under parental leave.
As long as it's arranged between the employee and employer without government intervention, I have no issue with it.

In Canada, people get a year off for maternity/paternity leave funded by the taxpayers.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
It's not a sickness but it's very hard on the body. Just look at any book or website on pregnancy symptoms and complications and the list is very long. I myself was hospitalized during both pregnancies for severe dehydration due to vomiting multiple times a day from morning sickness my entire pregnancy. I also developed postpartum hypertension for over a year after I gave birth despite being thin and in good shape.

Not everything in life has to be equal. I don't think it's fair that woman have to deal with pregnancy and bleeding every month and menopause and men don't but those are the cards we've been dealt.

Also people pay for insurance that pays for their maternity leave in Canada. It's not all funded by the taxpayer.
It's hard on the body because you choose to have babies. It's no different from that I choose to climb the Mount Everest - that's hard on the body. Shouldn't I deserve months off for that too?

In Canada maternity leave is paid through Unemployment Insurance, which is taxpayer funded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies