Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:57 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times

Advertisements

This subject does remind me, strongly, of the wonderful Meredith Wilson musical, The Music Man.

For those whom haven't seen it, a flim-flam man calling himself Professor Harold Hill arrives in a small Iowan community (River City). He has to think up a scheme to make the people part with their money. He notices people peering into a new pool hall. Told that the people had never seen a pool table before, only billiards, he then informs the townspeople of the terrible danger facing them, due to the presence of a pool table (singing about how gentlemen play billiards, but 'any fool can shove a ball into a pocket').

In short, he manufactured a problem, and then offered a solution (a boys band!).

The parallel here is obvious. The gullible have been told by some politicians that there is a horrible problem that can only be fixed by new laws. Never mind that the various states have never had 'gender specific' laws concerning public restrooms. Now, some people are screaming "You are right, politician! We are in danger from the hordes of transgenders!".

I do give credit to Donald Trump for shrugging his shoulders and saying it is not a problem. Since he has been in the hotel and golf course business for a pretty long time, I assume that he has never had such problems.

Think of it: Rafael Edward Cruz, born in Canada, has jumped on this bandwagon. That alone should make thoughtful people think about their position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You know, I may never use a public restroom or locker room again, and it's not because I fear transgender people, but rather because I'm now aware that there are a whole bunch of very creepy men out there who are obsessed with using transgender issues to plan the assault of women, whether they be straight, lesbian, transgender, or transsexual.
I agree. It's getting rediculous.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:49 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,867,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You know, I may never use a public restroom or locker room again, and it's not because I fear transgender people, but rather because I'm now aware that there are a whole bunch of very creepy men out there who are obsessed with using transgender issues to plan the assault of women, whether they be straight, lesbian, transgender, or transsexual.
Also, you have to be on guard that people might mistake YOU for a transgendered person.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:41 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Oh Bill would love that!

Old 05-02-2016, 05:39 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
What is the likelihood that the bathroom part is just a smokescreen to divert attention from the real goal of the law, which is to allow 'religious-based discrimination'? I'd say about 100%. After all, nobody is talking about that portion of the law, they are talking about the bathrooms.

Well, I posted this 4 pages ago... and virtually every post in this thread seems, both before and after, to be proving my point. Nobody is talking about the other part, where the laws allow 'religious-based discrimination'. Clearly discrimination is less important than making jokes and rather outrageous claims about the bathroom part of it.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I have yet to actually see that data...

Then you're simply not looking for it.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...om+gender+laws

Quote:
Besides, these pro-choice bathroom laws are relatively new, so I wouldn't yet have complete confidence regardless of what studies show so far.

Yep, why would you believe your lyin' eyes, eh? In Texas alone, Austin, Dallas and El Paso have all head LGBT anti-discrimination laws on the books for more than a decade each. 10+ years isn't enough time to decide whether these laws ACTUALLY increase incidents of crime? Really?

Quote:
There are invasions of privacy that are never discovered. Sure, a flat-out assault will likely be reported. We'll never know the number of inappropriate photos out there.

Fear mongering with no basis in reality.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:51 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Should I be able to claim discrimination if someone tried to stop me?
What if a pedophile saw a little girl go into the bathroom alone?

I just wonder what happened to the Democratic Party since Bill Clinton or even Obama... it has gone so far left, it's scary.
Only if you claim to 'feel' like a woman that day. In which case, the libs will come running to your defense.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:37 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Well, I posted this 4 pages ago... and virtually every post in this thread seems, both before and after, to be proving my point. Nobody is talking about the other part, where the laws allow 'religious-based discrimination'. Clearly discrimination is less important than making jokes and rather outrageous claims about the bathroom part of it.
This thread is about the bathroom part of the law. Aren't there 5 or 10 others about the boycott and HB 2 as a whole.

My cheap shot at the media in general is turning the transgender bathroom part into the Big issue. Nearly every article I recall had that in the headline. If overriding the Charlotte and other non-discrimination ordinances was mentioned at all, buried at the article's end.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:10 AM

36,509 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I have no problem with a man who had his male parts surgically removed and replaced with female parts use a female bathroom, but a man who feels like a woman, but still is physically a man has no business going into a female restroom.

With our current laws, if we see a man follow a lady or child into the opposite restroom, we can call the police on them. However, it's getting to the point where we can't even inform the authorities of a possible rape or molestation. Hell, we would probably be labeled as a bigot for such a thing these days.

It's so crazy, we need someone like Trump to put an end to all this.
What makes you think a man who identifies with femininity even if he has yet to or will not have his male parts surgically removed is planning on possibly raping or molesting a female in the restroom, maybe that person just needs to pee?

A pervert or rapist would be inclined to follow his victim into a restroom if that were his intentions.

I'm sure there will be some crazies or some a-holes that will waltz into the women's restroom just because new legislation allows transgenders to so they can prove some point. I would imagine if some guy is hanging out in the women's restroom harassing women he can still be arrested. This is not about allowing men to stalk hot women into the ladies room.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:23 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
This is exactly the case NOW. I wonder why you think there is this huge pent-up demand to use public restrooms as sexual meeting places. Larry Craig notwithstanding, most people of any sexual persuasion use public restrooms for the purpose they are provided. We have weirdos with us always, and they are already being weird.

Oh yeah! "Wide stance" lawmaker, Larry Craig using the public bathroom for his sex escapades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies