Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:25 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,667 times

Advertisements

You people are paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 03:10 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
I have absolutely no faith at all in the escaped circus clowns the TSA hires to pretend to screen us. I flew out of either LaGuardia or Kennedy last summer (can't recall which) and I was wearing mid-length hiking boots. I have a metal ankle brace inside one of the boots, and I was expecting to have to remove the boot to show that when it tripped the alarm. But before I could, a blue-shirted dummy waved a wand at my foot, and said, "You're good to go. Go ahead." I said, "you don't want me to take the boot off?" He said, "Nah, not necessary. It's just the metal lace hooks on the hiking boot. Seen it all the time." I said, "Well, OK. Whatever you say. Have a nice afternoon."

For all he knew, I could have had a Glock in there. He would have had no way at all to tell. You hear about these things, but I tell ya - when it actually happens to you, it really makes you wonder how many guns and knives there are aboard the average passenger jet.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:52 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I have absolutely no faith at all in the escaped circus clowns the TSA hires to pretend to screen us. I flew out of either LaGuardia or Kennedy last summer (can't recall which) and I was wearing mid-length hiking boots. I have a metal ankle brace inside one of the boots, and I was expecting to have to remove the boot to show that when it tripped the alarm. But before I could, a blue-shirted dummy waved a wand at my foot, and said, "You're good to go. Go ahead." I said, "you don't want me to take the boot off?" He said, "Nah, not necessary. It's just the metal lace hooks on the hiking boot. Seen it all the time." I said, "Well, OK. Whatever you say. Have a nice afternoon."

For all he knew, I could have had a Glock in there. He would have had no way at all to tell. You hear about these things, but I tell ya - when it actually happens to you, it really makes you wonder how many guns and knives there are aboard the average passenger jet.

I get the same thing with my hips (both titanium).

No one has ever checked to see what I was carrying besides artificial hip joints.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
You are lucky some of the more fanatic TSA crew didn't want to open you up to check. A year ago we flew to Albuquerque to start a short vacation. We rented a car. Last Summer we drove from New Hampshire to Yellowstone National Park and vicinity instead of flying and renting a car. This choice was because we wanted to drive and partially, at least on my part, to avoid the TSA and flying cattle car confinement on an over crowded airplane.

On that trip we had to slow for a couple of deer in the road and were almost involved in a head on collision with a tractor trailer in our lane as he came over a blind hill. This was on a lightly traveled two lane Federal Highway Northwest Nebraska. So the idea that flying might be safer then driving has some basis in reality but not enough to keep me from driving to the Western Parks instead of flying.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:38 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Airlines should provide their own security and profile as they please.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times
I don't understand. This is an unscreened airline employee. He would not have had to pass through any tsa checkpoint other than to flash his ID. Add to that the fact that as a freighter the flight most likely did not originate from a passenger facility, so tsa screeners may not even be in the building. Most cargo facilities are secured by airline security and customs as opposed to tsa. When I worked for Northwest thousands of employees had access to the flight line with nothing more than an airline employee ID. That included accountants, mechanics, pilots, anyone. Once through the employee gate they could go anywhere on airport property.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:46 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
The TSA security process is designed to prevent the last attack and not the next one.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:49 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The TSA security process is designed to prevent the last attack and not the next one.
This is true. You could hand every passenger a knife and a gun and never have a repeat of 911.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies