Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:44 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
They are actually at an all time low in every state other than New Jersey.

THANKS CHRISTIE!
Source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:50 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
The definition of poison is a substance that can cause illness or death. Well I guess alcohol is definitely a poison yet you think it's fine and dandy to have it be legal.

Lot of misinformation in your source.

You missed the FULL definition of poison... But let's allow a pass for you

The alcohol debate isn't a part of this discussion no matter how many potheads want to make the either or comparison. Both are bad in varying degrees and under many circumstances

Alcohol is absolutely a poison. I don't not consume it nor promote its use in any fashion... If you've read my posts over the 10 years on this site you would read about my work at dui probation school ..off duty and gratis. I hate all altering substances. Since you may not be aware the probationers now SELF report the co-use of alcohol and mj in 50 percent of the cases..up from ten percent just several years ago. This is because the enablement of potsters in our society and horrible effect of permissive societal beliefs.

One drink does not make you high.. One joint can stone you into oblivion for that first hour... Use higher concentrations of hash or honey oil..the crack cocaine of cannabiz and the amount is miniscule and the high intense

The mj debate rages and there are hundreds of pro and con positions from all manners of websites... For me it comes down to my personal observations.. You say..no problem..I say big problem..and therein the problem of description occurs.

More intoxicants in our world..horrible.. We are already battling the opiod addictions and many potsters say look how much better it is for me now that I smoke dope..or vape..or eat.. And self medicate or recreate at will.. See any problem with that... See any problem with that professional. T 310 spoke about engineers being critical work positions..I wholeheartedly agree with him

If you enable dysfunction you will get more dysfunction... If you break the cycle through education and when necessary enforcement of behavior.. Which is why law occurs.. What does come out the other side is the function of productivity.. Do you agree?

If you look at real statistics you extrapolate mj causes more societal issues than it helps.. Thereby increasing leo workload. I will laugh if your area becomes saturated and you begin to see a very different reality... From duid murderers on the roads.. To calls for service involving mj in some fashion. Dirtbags are attracted to drugs.. Dirtbags are attracted to mj. Social misfits are attracted to drugs.. Social misfits are attracted to mj... And every user on here knows it. All the glad handing doesn't change that.

This year I'll be working on a Senate bill reducing 5 to 2.ngm.it has the support of d.a.s and community groups alike.. It is challenged by norml and the ACLU. We are also looking at constructing a dui enhancement for having both alcohol and mj in the system of a driver..because of the synergistic effect upon the body. I assume you and the potpronents would support that...or would you?
Very recently a coalition of concerned partners was able to get butane restriction to point of sale of two canisters... Reducing the easy ability of dangerous labs to produce honey oil. We are lobbying for a national restriction...and we are now working with online retailers to make it a restricted sale. This is marijuana behavior.

I find it highly doubtful that professional pot users on here would refuse hash.. Or honey oil. The human mind and body quickly adapts to the dopamine output and the desire to be higher exists... Again a classical sign of addiction at whatever level.

Doesn't sound professional to me...

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-03-2016 at 08:52 AM..

Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
That wasn't him it was me, and I rest my case. The thread is about professionalism, and being a productive member of society (i.e. providing a service). When you provide a service the customer does not care that you smoke weed, or you're getting divorced, or you're spouse is in the hospital receiving chemo, or whatever problem you have, and it's unprofessional at raise these issues except in the context of recusing yourself from providing that service.

You're a real estate agent do you think your clients really care about your personal life?

No one achieves all they're capable of, everyone can only achieve all that they're prepared to achieve. Achieving what you're capable of requires laser focus on the task, for years, to the exclusion of all else, no spouse, no kids, no friends (or very patient and understanding friends), no real family (you might set reminders for you to email them). Most people either "can't" or more accurately choose not to do that, because the things like friends, family, outside interests are commonly the things we love and enjoy and they're all things that prevents people from achieving everything they're capable of.

Has anyone claimed that in this thread? Not that I'm aware of.

Let's just say I believe that you believe that's the reason and leave it at that.
Did you read where I said I voted Yes Depends on the person? For the most part I agree, I just added that pot use will hold people back in the long run. All your long lecturing posts would seem to claim pot use would help someone achieve great things, that is why I asked. Can you even admit heavy pot use might just maybe make one a little, lets say slow? Whats with the condescending comments coming from a moderator. You know why I said I was a pothead years ago, to put my comments in context, but you knew that and still made a rude comment.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:12 AM

2,182 posts, read 1,627,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Yep, anybody can research that. Cannabinoids are NOT poisons.

The fact that Notme uses that as part of his propaganda is quite telling. If he makes up stuff as absurd as this, how in the world can you trust the rest of his bunk?

But here is the saddest part of his story. He "educates" kids by scaring them away from mj by using BS. I have posted this to him before:

You catch them at an impressionable grade school age and fill them full of it, and it scares them to no end. By the time you're done, they KNOW they won't ever touch the stuff, and you feel like you've made the world a little better.

The problem is, they grow up into teenagers, and they start doing the things teenagers do. Thanks to your interaction with them when they were younger, they approach mj with caution. But they soon begin to learn that what you filled them full of was falsehoods and exaggerations. They quickly discard your bs, and learn the truth on their own (or through their parents).

At that point they lose a notch or two of respect for all authoritarian figures, especially cops. The damage is now done.

I can speak with some authority about this because it is exactly what happened to me about 45 years ago.

So you are continuing with the tradition that has been in use for the last 5 decades. But everyone agrees that our current methods of handling the problem isn't working and hasn't worked. Yet, you continue on, sleeping well every time you get a chance to "educate" kids.

You have a very narrow, and very one-track mind, my friend. The least you could do is actually LEARN about the plant you are using to damage lives with.
So, you are criticizing someone that wants to discourage children from using pot?

Old 05-03-2016, 09:17 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Pot does diminish performance, but there's one key difference between alcohol and pot.

As you reach extreme levels of alcohol consumption, your body breaks down. "Alcoholic" is a severe physiological problem that can easily lead to death.

Cannabis doesn't work that way. As you reach extreme levels of cannabis consumption, your body reaches a threshold where the effects get weaker. Your body and mind no longer reacts the same way as it did at first. You require more and more cannabis just to get high at all. People who smoke cannabis constantly are not getting "extra high", they are just wasting their money.

That is true- one can certainly die of alcohol poisoning (which is not uncommon), but I have not read about anyone in the literature dying of pot intoxication (I would assume that it is possible, not very, very unlikely). There has been reports of intractable seizures with long term chronic cannibus users, but again, I am not aware of any acute, life threatening problems.

Tolerance with pot- again- quite true. There are three types of cannabanoid receptors (one of which mediates analgesia, but it is a poor analagesic). With any receptor mediated phenomenon, there is tolerance due to receptor upregulation, conformational change a the receptor, and increase metabolism of the drug.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:11 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
You missed the FULL definition of poison... But let's allow a pass for you

The alcohol debate isn't a part of this discussion no matter how many potheads want to make the either or comparison. Both are bad in varying degrees and under many circumstances

Alcohol is absolutely a poison. I don't not consume it nor promote its use in any fashion... If you've read my posts over the 10 years on this site you would read about my work at dui probation school ..off duty and gratis. I hate all altering substances. Since you may not be aware the probationers now SELF report the co-use of alcohol and mj in 50 percent of the cases..up from ten percent just several years ago. This is because the enablement of potsters in our society and horrible effect of permissive societal beliefs.

One drink does not make you high.. One joint can stone you into oblivion for that first hour... Use higher concentrations of hash or honey oil..the crack cocaine of cannabiz and the amount is miniscule and the high intense

The mj debate rages and there are hundreds of pro and con positions from all manners of websites... For me it comes down to my personal observations.. You say..no problem..I say big problem..and therein the problem of description occurs.

More intoxicants in our world..horrible.. We are already battling the opiod addictions and many potsters say look how much better it is for me now that I smoke dope..or vape..or eat.. And self medicate or recreate at will.. See any problem with that... See any problem with that professional. T 310 spoke about engineers being critical work positions..I wholeheartedly agree with him

If you enable dysfunction you will get more dysfunction... If you break the cycle through education and when necessary enforcement of behavior.. Which is why law occurs.. What does come out the other side is the function of productivity.. Do you agree?

If you look at real statistics you extrapolate mj causes more societal issues than it helps.. Thereby increasing leo workload. I will laugh if your area becomes saturated and you begin to see a very different reality... From duid murderers on the roads.. To calls for service involving mj in some fashion. Dirtbags are attracted to drugs.. Dirtbags are attracted to mj. Social misfits are attracted to drugs.. Social misfits are attracted to mj... And every user on here knows it. All the glad handing doesn't change that.

This year I'll be working on a Senate bill reducing 5 to 2.ngm.it has the support of d.a.s and community groups alike.. It is challenged by norml and the ACLU. We are also looking at constructing a dui enhancement for having both alcohol and mj in the system of a driver..because of the synergistic effect upon the body. I assume you and the potpronents would support that...or would you?
Very recently a coalition of concerned partners was able to get butane restriction to point of sale of two canisters... Reducing the easy ability of dangerous labs to produce honey oil. We are lobbying for a national restriction...and we are now working with online retailers to make it a restricted sale. This is marijuana behavior.

I find it highly doubtful that professional pot users on here would refuse hash.. Or honey oil. The human mind and body quickly adapts to the dopamine output and the desire to be higher exists... Again a classical sign of addiction at whatever level.

Doesn't sound professional to me...
Don't let FACTS get in your way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQxoyDdo-zo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1HavgoK9E

You've been at it a long time. The Movement rolled right over your agenda.

Thank God for good Americans on both sides of the aisle.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Did you read where I said I voted Yes Depends on the person? For the most part I agree, I just added that pot use will hold people back in the long run. All your long lecturing posts would seem to claim pot use would help someone achieve great things, that is why I asked. Can you even admit heavy pot use might just maybe make one a little, lets say slow? Whats with the condescending comments coming from a moderator. You know why I said I was a pothead years ago, to put my comments in context, but you knew that and still made a rude comment.
Which was the last president that hasn't smoked marijuana??

Old 05-03-2016, 10:12 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
So, you are criticizing someone that wants to discourage children from using pot?
Of course not. What I am criticizing is someone, or some organization like the Partnership for a Drug Free America, using propaganda to discourage pot use. Somehow you missed it, but the main point of my post is how people like Notme uses so much untrue BS in their speeches that it actually undermines the cause. If people, including kids, were told the TRUTH, then they could make up their own minds and feel good about their decision. But what is happening instead is some peer pressure, or an urge to experiment, and suddenly the kid discovers how much smoke was blown up their a**, resulting in a loss of all respect for authoritarian figures like Notme. Then the kid goes hog wild, experimenting to see what other BS they were exposed to by the police. Sometimes this hog-wild experimentation kills them.

Personally, I feel like the police and the government in general has been my enemy for most of my life for this exact reason.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is true- one can certainly die of alcohol poisoning (which is not uncommon), but I have not read about anyone in the literature dying of pot intoxication (I would assume that it is possible, not very, very unlikely). There has been reports of intractable seizures with long term chronic cannibus users, but again, I am not aware of any acute, life threatening problems.

Tolerance with pot- again- quite true. There are three types of cannabanoid receptors (one of which mediates analgesia, but it is a poor analagesic). With any receptor mediated phenomenon, there is tolerance due to receptor upregulation, conformational change a the receptor, and increase metabolism of the drug.
You can't die from smoking too much. Haven't researched, but would say the same with edibles.

I'm not sure if it could kill you or not. Maybe if you went to extreme measure to get it in your system. But saying that, grass could kill you if you went to extreme measures. In your bloodstream directly it would kill you.

Safety wise, its literally one of the safest drugs. Even safer than many OTC drugs.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:33 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Looks like about 84%of the people here say people can use it responsibly. There are plenty of conservatives on this forum as well.
I hate to be the one that tells you, but I know as many conservatives as liberals that smoke weed. Many of whom are very successful. I also know plenty of liberals that think smoking weed is a terrible thing to allow. The breakdown seems to be more along the lines of age, with many more people in their 50s or older having the old stereotypes in their head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies