Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:23 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
I used to work for many years in the construction industry. I was in homes of many people who were industrialists, DRs, attorneys ect. We had to move a lot of things to get to the area that we were working on and I can tell you that a lot of productive people are using pot and have been for decades. If you think its a gate way drug you have no idea what you are talking about. Most people who think pot is evil will pour them-self a scotch or glass of wine and not see how much of a hypocrite they are.

not to mention popping a few feel good opioids. it turns out that prince was popping feel good percs for decades. on the news everybody was saying "how straight he was and so on".. world is full of hypocrites, "do as I say not as I do""...

the real kicker is that pot is by far the safest drug!!! pot has had the worst rap of any drug, and 90 percent of the propaganda is fabricated BS..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 04:27 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
You must be on acid as well if that's the picture you've formed of me judging from the rest of my responses in this thread. We have more in common than you think, only I take a more balanced approach.

I notice you chose not to respond to my other points about individuals versus occupations. Apparently that took the wind out of your sails. Instead you chose to discuss me instead of the topic. I expected better.
I could not answer the rest because all you used is "do I want someone stoned doing this or that....".

You do not have a balanced approach. We can't discuss it since to you it is black and white: One toke of any strain of cannabis and of any strength means you're stoned and impaired.

You act like it isn't a medicine at all, only an intoxicant that cannot be used for any purpose other than getting stoned. You are also giving me the impression that you believe all strains are the same and they have only one outcome: The person using it gets stoned.

If you would like to rephrase your questions into ones that can be answered reasonably, then I would be glad to answer.

Last edited by Raddo; 05-05-2016 at 04:36 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 04:53 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
I've never smoked it but according to dh who did in his younger years he had to quit because he found that his brain was in a fog for days after partaking. That didn't work for advancing his career and raising a family. I know this is a small sample size but the people I know who used regularly as we got older are losers who never amounted to anything.

This supports what dh experienced. It also explains the losers from my high school class who are still losers as they approach retirement. It's hard to move ahead if your brain doesn't work right.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/a...inger-in-brain

"
A new study shows that blood flow to the brain in people who smoked marijuana remained altered up to a month after they last smoked pot.
Researchers say the findings may help explain the problems with memory and thinking found in previous studies of chronic marijuana users."

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 05-05-2016 at 05:11 PM..

Old 05-05-2016, 04:54 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I could not answer the rest because all you used is "do I want someone stoned doing this or that....".

You do not have a balanced approach. We can't discuss it since to you it is black and white: One toke of any strain of cannabis and of any strength means you're stoned and impaired.

You act like it isn't a medicine at all, only an intoxicant that cannot be used for any purpose other than getting stoned. You are also giving me the impression that you believe all strains are the same and they have only one outcome: The person using it gets stoned.

If you would like to rephrase your questions into ones that can be answered reasonably, then I would be glad to answer.

Some of this is black and white. Do you want school bus drivers to be users? Teachers? Surgeons? The police? I don't know about you but there are some areas of life where it's best to have a clear head.

I'll believe marijuana is a "medicine" when big pharma starts trying to market the medicinal substances. They follow the money. If it really worked they'd be all over this like flies on cow pies. For some reason they aren't touching this with a 10 foot pole.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:10 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Some of this is black and white. Do you want school bus drivers to be users? Teachers? Surgeons? The police? I don't know about you but there are some areas of life where it's best to have a clear head.

I'll believe marijuana is a "medicine" when big pharma starts trying to market the medicinal substances. They follow the money. If it really worked they'd be all over this like flies on cow pies. For some reason they aren't touching this with a 10 foot pole.

they don't want medicine they cant patent!!! big pharma is one of the biggest lobbyist against it. but times are changing they want a piece of the pie..

Old 05-05-2016, 05:15 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:

Yes I want them all smoking weed if that is what it takes to mellow out after a long shift at work, while they are sitting around watching TV. In fact I am guessing you would be very surprised at how many of them do exactly that, every night. I do not want anybody in any profession going to or from work or working stoned, but when they have a full 12 hours before their next shift I have no problem with them smoking.

Big pharma cannot get a patent on marijuana, so it makes no sense for them to spend a ton of money getting into the business through the testing and such to bring a product to market, especially since it is very hard to get the okay from the FDA to conduct the tests due to it being a schedule 1 drug. Reality is they are the primary group fighting the legalization of marijuana. You want to follow the money to answer questions, then tell me why they do not want it legalized? Could it be that there are some significant health benefits without the side effects of their drugs?

Old 05-05-2016, 05:36 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
If you're going to do that you need to be consistent, if someone is taking Ritalin or Adderall, then they need to prove they're not impaired, and if you're going to require people to prove they're not impaired that goes for all people, just because someone isn't prescribed a substance, and doesn't use recreational substances doesn't mean they're not impaired. Further life effects can alter people's ability to function, and act rationally, so again should they not be confirmed as being able?

Quote:
That depends on the substances and the derived products. Firstly in the US it's been difficult to research with cannabis because of federal restrictions, for example you need clearance from the DEA to research the medical uses of cannabis, NIDA is the sole legal source of Cannabis in the US and only has a 12 acre growing area. The FDA is also remarkably reticent to approve drug research based on cannabis extracts.

You've probably never heard of Sativex, it's a UK drug not approved for use in the US but is cleared in 27 other countries, it contains THC and CBD for the treatment of MS patients, they also have Epidiolex which is solely CBD in clinical trials in Europe and a anti-epilepsy drug. Both of these have to receive DEA approval to enter the US, because they're cannabis derivatives, so unless something happens with the classification of Cannabis, it's probably not going to be a useful treatment in the US, regardless of how many hundreds or thousands of people it's helped outside of the US. The classification of Cannabis is solely down to Richard Nixon too (how's that for irony) who rejected 4000 pages of reports from medical and drug researchers who were calling for it to be reclassified as schedule 2, which also contains such interesting "recreational" drugs as fenatyl, oxycodone, demerol, and methadone, and methamphetimine but somehow cannabis is considered by the DEA as more dangerous and more restricted than those. Vicodin (known as "Ilikeodin") is schedule III, and Klonopin (a drug of some controversy) is schedule IV just above Robitussin.

Secondly it also depends on what they can patent, if they're using say CBD extract, it's not patent-able, because it's a natural plant derivative, they could patent their process for extraction, but not the substance. So GW Pharmaceuticals can't make a whole hell of a lot of profit on Sativex, but they probably don't feel they need to and they're partnered with Bayer for distribution so they're probably never going to get really rich anyway, just recover research and approval costs .

Old 05-05-2016, 05:51 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Doing drugs is all innocent fun and games until mom gets high and "forgets" that she left her kids roasting to death in the car.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:55 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
A new study shows that blood flow to the brain in people who smoked marijuana remained altered up to a month after they last smoked pot.
Researchers say the findings may help explain the problems with memory and thinking found in previous studies of chronic marijuana users."
WebMD is NOT a reputable source. As has already been explained to you, big pharma HATES pot because it means they will lose Billions, with a capital B, if legalized. So they have been lining the pockets of lawmakers for decades, making sure it stays so demonized and locked down so tight that even RESEARCHING it can result in felony charges from DEA. Now they line the pockets of doctors, encouraging them to help make sure it stays demonized as long as possible. Those doctors participate in WebMD.

The bottom line is you would get a much more accurate picture if you would only read this entire thread.

You will find plenty of posts that mirror my experience. My experience consists of 40+ years of daily use (except for a 3 year period where I stopped completely for reasons out of my control), and I annoy the hell out of my friends when I remind them of something they said years ago that contradicts something they just said. I am 59 years old and I'll put my memory up against anyone's.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:14 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Aspirin can kill you.

In the 10,000 year recorded history of cannabis, not one death.
Youre comparing a medicine with an illegal drug. One is used to treat sickness and the other is popular because it's easy to grow and makes you high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies