Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 06:25 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Youre comparing a medicine with an illegal drug. One is used to treat sickness and the other is popular because it's easy to grow and makes you high.
A difference that makes no difference is no different. Cannabis produces no stronger a high than diamorphine (Heroin).

Opium, illegal drug, used to treat sickness and injuries for thousands of years. Derived products any morphine or codeine related or derivative drugs.

Cannabis, illegal drug, used to treat sickness and injuries for thousands of years (did you know that there is strong suspicion that George Washington used cannabis to deal with his tooth aches). Derived products Sativex, Epidiolex, for treatment of MS and epilepsy (outside of the US), and we're just scratching the surface.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:25 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Yes I want them all smoking weed if that is what it takes to mellow out after a long shift at work, while they are sitting around watching TV. In fact I am guessing you would be very surprised at how many of them do exactly that, every night. I do not want anybody in any profession going to or from work or working stoned, but when they have a full 12 hours before their next shift I have no problem with them smoking.

Big pharma cannot get a patent on marijuana, so it makes no sense for them to spend a ton of money getting into the business through the testing and such to bring a product to market, especially since it is very hard to get the okay from the FDA to conduct the tests due to it being a schedule 1 drug. Reality is they are the primary group fighting the legalization of marijuana. You want to follow the money to answer questions, then tell me why they do not want it legalized? Could it be that there are some significant health benefits without the side effects of their drugs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
WebMD is NOT a reputable source. As has already been explained to you, big pharma HATES pot because it means they will lose Billions, with a capital B, if legalized. So they have been lining the pockets of lawmakers for decades, making sure it stays so demonized and locked down so tight that even RESEARCHING it can result in felony charges from DEA. Now they line the pockets of doctors, encouraging them to help make sure it stays demonized as long as possible. Those doctors participate in WebMD.

The bottom line is you would get a much more accurate picture if you would only read this entire thread.

You will find plenty of posts that mirror my experience. My experience consists of 40+ years of daily use (except for a 3 year period where I stopped completely for reasons out of my control), and I annoy the hell out of my friends when I remind them of something they said years ago that contradicts something they just said. I am 59 years old and I'll put my memory up against anyone's.
Oh please. You guys do realize that the active ingredient in pot has been available pharmaceutically for decades right? Your doctor could prescribe it to you tomorrow in any state. The truth is that they don't because it's simply not a very useful drug. Don't be fooled by the bloggers saying that pot will cure everything from brain cancer to restless leg syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 06:33 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,101 times
Quote:
Oh please. You guys do realize that the active ingredient in pot has been available pharmaceutically for decades right? Your doctor could prescribe it to you tomorrow in any state. The truth is that they don't because it's simply not a very useful drug. Don't be fooled by the bloggers saying that pot will cure everything from brain cancer to restless leg syndrome.
Has it? Even in Colorado doctors do not want to prescribe it due to pressure from the federal government and concern that they will lose their license. synthetic stuff has been available but it does not work as well.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:34 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,330,909 times
Quote:
Oh please. You are so misinformed that it is difficult to describe. Please don't come on here with no experience and little research on your own and pretend you are an expert.

You can reply if you want, but I will not respond. Trying to even get you started down the right track is futile for someone as out of touch, closed minded, and brainwashed as you are, and represents a complete waste of time. If some other poster wants to take on that task, more power to them.

Someone with 0 years of experience trying to debate someone with over 40 years of experience would be comical, if I were willing to endure beating my head against a brick wall.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:47 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Entourage Effect and WHOLE plant medicine. It's a video, so you don't even have to read anything to flex your brain.

CANCERfrom Cancer.gov. You'll have to read on this one, sorry.

RLS, I know you will be exhausted after having to do a little spoonfed research, so here's what they have to say:

Quote:
Marijuana

This illegal drug seems to have very beneficial effects for RLS. There are no known medical studies on this drug for RLS as the drug is not available even for medical research. There have been many anecdotal reports on the effectiveness of this drug for RLS.

According to the reports from patients who have used marijuana, it often takes only a very small amount of the drug (often as little as 2 inhalations of a marijuana cigarette) to relieve RLS symptoms. The onset of action of this drug can be amazingly fast with complete symptom relief occurring within 2-3 minutes.

This drug should be used with caution as the long term effects of smoking marijuana are not fully known and, of course, since the drug is illegal, legal problems may occur if the user is caught by police.

Currently there is a drug called Marinol (dronabinol) that is FDA approved for the treatment of anorexia associated with weight loss in patients with AIDS and nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy in patients who have failed to respond adequately to conventional anti-nausea treatments. This drug contains delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-9-THC) which is the active ingredient of marijuana.

The effect of taking oral Marinol capsules is quite different from smoking marijuana. After oral administration, Marinol has an onset of action of approximately 0.5 to 1 hours and peak effect at 2 to 4 hours with a duration of action for psychoactive effects of 4 to 6 hours and does not cause the so called "high feeling". Marijuana, when smoked will onset within seconds to a few minutes with very high peak blood levels compared to the lower steady levels that onset slowly with Marinol.

Patients find that Marinol does not work as dramatically as smoking marijuana. Based on anecdotal clinical patient reports it appears that a minority of RLS sufferers may experience a modest benefit for their RLS symptoms with Marinol. This drug comes in 2.5, 5 and 10 mg tablets that can be taken up to 2-3 times per day with a maximum daily dose of 20 mg.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:51 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Some of this is black and white. Do you want school bus drivers to be users? Teachers? Surgeons? The police? I don't know about you but there are some areas of life where it's best to have a clear head.

I'll believe marijuana is a "medicine" when big pharma starts trying to market the medicinal substances. They follow the money. If it really worked they'd be all over this like flies on cow pies. For some reason they aren't touching this with a 10 foot pole.
The USA OWNS the patent on cannabinoids. All while denying any medical bennifit.

You want to talk about following the money? Who makes more, prisons and big pharma by keeping prohibition going strong by incarcerating nonviolent drug offenders for a plant, or, is big pharma scared because Joe Citizen can grow a plant that would alleviate the need for some big pharma drugs?

This isn't rocket science, but you have to know something.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:00 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
I used to work for many years in the construction industry. I was in homes of many people who were industrialists, DRs, attorneys ect. We had to move a lot of things to get to the area that we were working on and I can tell you that a lot of productive people are using pot and have been for decades. If you think its a gate way drug you have no idea what you are talking about. Most people who think pot is evil will pour them-self a scotch or glass of wine and not see how much of a hypocrite they are.
This. Thank you

Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Some of this is black and white. Do you want school bus drivers to be users? Teachers? Surgeons? The police? I don't know about you but there are some areas of life where it's best to have a clear head.

I'll believe marijuana is a "medicine" when big pharma starts trying to market the medicinal substances. They follow the money. If it really worked they'd be all over this like flies on cow pies. For some reason they aren't touching this with a 10 foot pole.
They already did years ago. Marinol

Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM

It's like talking to a brick wall

Old 05-05-2016, 07:21 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Doing drugs is all innocent fun and games until mom gets high and "forgets" that she left her kids roasting to death in the car.

a lot of people do that straight..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies