Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:38 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The only drug I use is an occasional Scotch. Other than that only prescription drugs of the sort that prevent strokes and lower BP. I may attempt edible pot one of these months as a sleep aid. But I would take it in a mode where any "high" would occur while I was asleep.

The electric power use of pot growers is not a significant use and can be almost totally eliminated by removing regulations that require indoor secure growing. Green houses are all you really need. Open cultivation will also work in many climates. The base plant of course is a well known road side weed.

I understand electrical power quite well. I have an EE degree and decades of experience. Obviously not anything like your complete misunderstanding.

You stil seem unable to comprehend the AAA position. It states quite clearly all laws using THC levels should be rescinded. That is because scientific work has establisned that THC levels and impairment are not related in any useful way. You have been asked your view and have now ducked four times. One suspects you know the true answer but are unwilling to admit how hopelessly wrong your position is.

not to mention if it was legal in all fifty states? and was legal to transport over state lines, the states that have a lot of water and sun can be the main grow states, one could grow in big fields just like any other crop, and then the product can be distributed to the states with less water and sun.. that would solve the whole power consumption problem..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 09:51 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,028,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
So you are okay if a stoned engineer drives a train load of crude past your backyard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
where did anybody say that a pilot, train engineer, doctor, should work while stoned?? millions of people just smoke a little bud after work to relax, the same with the beer n wine drinkers, they put down a few beers or glasses of wine and then sleep it off and go to work the next day.. some occupations one can work a little buzzed, like computer programmers, and many other occupations where peoples lives are not at risk..
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Good god. Can't you people get it through your thick heads that you can use cannabis and not go to work stoned? Drinkers can drink and not go to work drunk. Nobody is advocating that people in critical jobs should be stoned or drunk at work. Quite the opposite. But what they do on their own time is their own business, as long as they're straight when they get to work.

Working under the effects of a substance is NOT an argument against the substance.That's like blaming the gun for a gun related crime (to put it in terms I'm guessing you can relate to.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
LOL

No one is advocating getting ripped at work or going to work ripped. Kind of like no one should be drinking at work. Stop making absurd arguments.
T-310 is just jealous because he can't enjoy smoke, even far and away from work. I get it. When I ran freight trains I watched all my friends lead productive lives and enjoy what they wanted to in their off time. I no longer work for the railroad. I'm no longer a slave to being on call 24/7, living the majority of my life in a lonely motel room away from my family, dealing with hostile railroad management that would love nothing more than to see a labor employee fired..... I may not make as much money, but at least I feel like I have a life. I now enjoy regular off days and daylight work.

I still work in transportation management, and I don't smoke pot, but it seems to me that some people will never understand the difference between being stoned at work, versus just enjoying a little toke on their off time far and away from the clock. They look down on them like they're all degenerates.

With that being said, I'll bet my life that T-310 goes home (or to the crappy motel) after a long grueling 12 hour shift on the rails and slurps down a few beers or glasses of wine and goes promptly straight to bed so he can be ready for the crew dispatchers call at some ungodly hour of the morning or night just to drag himself to the coffee maker in the kitchen to do it all over again less then 10 hours later. I know I did after I had to try stuffing my 6000' train into a 6200' siding in blizzard conditions several times a shift......

We all have a way of coping.... Ya know what I mean?

Last edited by ditchlights; 05-13-2016 at 10:03 PM..

Old 05-14-2016, 05:41 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
If
Quote:
LOL

No one is advocating getting ripped at work or going to work ripped. Kind of like no one should be drinking at work. Stop making absurd arguments.
Some better drug testing might be in order for someone...and a good vsa while we are at it...

Professionals have standards.. Being high or even having the presence of an intoxicant is not a standard in any industry I am aware of

Old 05-14-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The only drug I use is an occasional Scotch. Other than that only prescription drugs of the sort that prevent strokes and lower BP. I may attempt edible pot one of these months as a sleep aid. But I would take it in a mode where any "high" would occur while I was asleep.

The electric power use of pot growers is not a significant use and can be almost totally eliminated by removing regulations that require indoor secure growing. Green houses are all you really need. Open cultivation will also work in many climates. The base plant of course is a well known road side weed.

I understand electrical power quite well. I have an EE degree and decades of experience. Obviously not anything like your complete misunderstanding.

You stil seem unable to comprehend the AAA position. It states quite clearly all laws using THC levels should be rescinded. That is because scientific work has establisned that THC levels and impairment are not related in any useful way. You have been asked your view and have now ducked four times. One suspects you know the true answer but are unwilling to admit how hopelessly wrong your position is.
I didn't read your AAA position..why.. Because ts not a LEGAL opinion tested by the ninth circuit... That's the opinion citizens get held to..others are moot

We all have opinions based upon our realities.. A person who uses drugs reality is altered.. But... Bottom line.. Only one opinion matters regarding your freedom when stoned and possibly getting ordered into custody or having some action taken against you

If your depending upon AAA for your legal opinions you might want to rethink that strategy. I hope this satisfies your request to be heard. Scotch is horrible for you by the way. You might want to take the advice of the self proclaimed experts on here and switch to marijuana... It can not only soothe you but cure most aliments

As to the electrical use and mj growing... If you are the expert you claim to be then you know every percent on the grid is HUGE and has a large impact. In periods of peak use grids are running close to or over 100 percent.. In simplistic terms one of the reasons we have blackouts. Do you think a mj grow consuming the energy needs of four to six American households is somehow not having an impact? I suggest you open your brain again...

Marijuana growing indoor or outdoor is a huge environmental drain upon resources.. Taking a tropical plant and introducing it wholesale isn't a good thing.. Do we grow orchids in Alaska.. No.. But we do so with pot..that takes scads of energy.. Dope is not food it does not sustain the population... It never has it never will.... Although it does appear to be of primary sustenance of the brains of some posters
A professional drug grower today has to be a great business person..they have to maximize profit while reducing liability and cost.. Stewardship of the earth is so far of their radar as to be laughable

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge... Might i suggest however if you are going to use mj for the conditions you allude to that you get multiple medical opinions before you elect to potentially harm yourself. Just chatting here may not be good for anyone with health issues. A problem today is the 21_year old mom who has used mj herself as a child because her parents did it.. And now she thinks it's OK to stone her child who has ADHD.. Or whatever.. A whole generation of self medicated less actualized.. Less conscious less intelligent individuals.. Every pothead is responsible for that..every user is responsible for that every enabler is responsible for that...

The gold standard of life is to be free of the prison of drugs and adulterants.. A pot user is simply the alcoholic who says they are fine

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-14-2016 at 07:09 AM..

Old 05-14-2016, 08:08 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
If he had not been into the other drugs like booze n other hard drugs he probably would still be a live. but I agree that some people will have problems with pot, but they are the minority!! should things be made illegal based on that? no they should not be!! because everything has its down falls. how many people drown in swimming pools? should they be banned? I saw a news story of some parents that bought their little 6 year old daughter a bike for her birthday and they were letting the little girl ride it in the drive way, well they weren't looking when the girl accidently road out into the main road and was hit by a passing vehicle and killed!! should they ban bikes because people die riding them.? and so on and so on for ever..

Most of the arguments for pot always boil down to here is one worse example. I have to argue that two wrongs don't make a right. Two people I know are dead in their early 50's and both used a lot of weed. Even if the alcohol killed them first; pot was still one major part of their lifestyle.

I have acknowledged that some people don't seem to have problems; but many do. For many years I was a truck driver and I could walk into work any given day and be given the random drug test. It would have been foolish and irresponsible of me to even use marijuana on my weekend - just not worth the chance. I would not want my dispatchers or their bosses using drugs; they made the decisions of where I was to go and when I was supposed to be there. I would not want them to dispatch me under low bridges or over bridges where I was overweight or into restricted areas. I had one friend that received a $12,000 fine for being overweight on one bridge and the dispatcher sent him on that route.

If you are driving or making decisions for others; I expect you sober and not high on drugs.

But I still have problems with the testing more than anything. We need fair standards and testing methods that can be applied to all states. I admit that the Federal standards are too strict; but I also think that users want very lenient standards. I want to see scientific standards and all of us in agreement. I do not want new laws that vary state to state like the new pepper spray law in NC - you carry your pepper spray into NJ or NY and you could go to jail.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:50 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I didn't read your AAA position..why.. Because ts not a LEGAL opinion tested by the ninth circuit... That's the opinion citizens get held to..others are moot

We all have opinions based upon our realities.. A person who uses drugs reality is altered.. But... Bottom line.. Only one opinion matters regarding your freedom when stoned and possibly getting ordered into custody or having some action taken against you

If your depending upon AAA for your legal opinions you might want to rethink that strategy. I hope this satisfies your request to be heard. Scotch is horrible for you by the way. You might want to take the advice of the self proclaimed experts on here and switch to marijuana... It can not only soothe you but cure most aliments

As to the electrical use and mj growing... If you are the expert you claim to be then you know every percent on the grid is HUGE and has a large impact. In periods of peak use grids are running close to or over 100 percent.. In simplistic terms one of the reasons we have blackouts. Do you think a mj grow consuming the energy needs of four to six American households is somehow not having an impact? I suggest you open your brain again...

Marijuana growing indoor or outdoor is a huge environmental drain upon resources.. Taking a tropical plant and introducing it wholesale isn't a good thing.. Do we grow orchids in Alaska.. No.. But we do so with pot..that takes scads of energy.. Dope is not food it does not sustain the population... It never has it never will.... Although it does appear to be of primary sustenance of the brains of some posters
A professional drug grower today has to be a great business person..they have to maximize profit while reducing liability and cost.. Stewardship of the earth is so far of their radar as to be laughable

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge... Might i suggest however if you are going to use mj for the conditions you allude to that you get multiple medical opinions before you elect to potentially harm yourself. Just chatting here may not be good for anyone with health issues. A problem today is the 21_year old mom who has used mj herself as a child because her parents did it.. And now she thinks it's OK to stone her child who has ADHD.. Or whatever.. A whole generation of self medicated less actualized.. Less conscious less intelligent individuals.. Every pothead is responsible for that..every user is responsible for that every enabler is responsible for that...

The gold standard of life is to be free of the prison of drugs and adulterants.. A pot user is simply the alcoholic who says they are fine
Uh, wrong again!

Most orchids are found in tropical or sub-tropical areas, but they also inhabit inhospitable areas like Alaska.

Rainbeau Orchids
Orchids in Southeast Alaska | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper

What is it you said, "I suggest you open your brain again...."

You wanted cannabis grown inside greenhouses. Little granny 12 plant can't afford to build that greenhouse, but they are coming in droves to California to do it for her.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:55 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Uh, wrong again!

Most orchids are found in tropical or sub-tropical areas, but they also inhabit inhospitable areas like Alaska.

Rainbeau Orchids
Orchids in Southeast Alaska | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper

What is it you said, "I suggest you open your brain again...."

You wanted cannabis grown inside greenhouses. Little granny 12 plant can't afford to build that greenhouse, but they are coming in droves to California to do it for her.

You know what I don't even look at notme posts anymore. maybe a peek or two

Old 05-14-2016, 11:04 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,650,473 times
Quote:
You know what I don't even look at notme posts anymore. maybe a peek or two
I know what you mean. I just couldn't resist that one. He thinks he's an expert on everything. If that pedestal he sits on gets any higher, we'll have to get him a hook and ladder truck to get up on it.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:19 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
If

Some better drug testing might be in order for someone...and a good vsa while we are at it...

Professionals have standards.. Being high or even having the presence of an intoxicant is not a standard in any industry I am aware of
Metabolites does not mean intoxicated

Old 05-14-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Metabolites does not mean intoxicated
Are you saying that you have metabolites in your system and pass the **** test?

I've never known a drug user that can resist just one.

Metabolites specifically active for thc and observations means intoxication... Both are necessary..Some jurisdictions have elected to use the 5 ngm limit... Which has been tested to the ninth..so while you might say whatever you want a legal standard has been established and vetted. As more and more stoners hurt people while driving nhsta will establish a national standard. This will get figured out.. Science is making strides already as are reliable roadside tests

This is but another reason to slow or stop any legalization effort until difficult issues such as this one are addressed nationally
You made my arguement for me
Rocky twenty years...
Then you may bring forth whatever arguement you want at your duid trial

Please tell me..how is this any good for our world...

And to the potproponents who live to negate anything I say... Jeez..give me a second to clean up the text spelling on my phone before you jump to comment... Do you live for my posts?

A true professional would never pollute themself with pot... Too many negative outcomes to want to chance drug use

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-14-2016 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies