Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Wow- let's not. If caffeine is made illegal, I will be a fugitive from justice. I drink 4 cups of coffee, three diet mountain dews, and two quarts of iced tea every day.

I need to be alert; if not, I think I am short changing patients.
Wow, if I consumed that much caffeine in a day, I wouldn't be able to walk straight!

I had to give up my modest two-cup/day habit because I got hand tremors and insomnia.

Now I treat myself to ONE cup once a week. On Sunday. So I don't have to go anywhere.

I had been smoking pot for several years before I had my first real cup of coffee. Couldn't believe it was legal!

(I don't do pot if I have to go somewhere either.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:39 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
The real problem with pot is it tends to harm the short term memory of users even when they are not stoned. Certain jobs, such as air traffic controller, should be off limits to pot users. But, by and large, they should be treated like alcohol users.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:54 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,491 times
I know this will never happen, but I want coca leaves decriminalized. Coca tea or just chewing coca leaves make a nice stimulant or so I've heard from people in countries where it is legal. Unfortunately whenever I bring this up all people start talking about is cocaine.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:15 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
hawkeye is spot on. I am assuming the op was talking about a pot head (most everyday user)You people arguing his points are comical. I voted yes a small percentage can. But I will say that they will not perform at 100%. They are putting a handicaps on there self so they will never be at peak form. You just can not tie your brain behind your back and perform at your best. Yes you can act like a pro and get very far , but you can't tell me you are not putting limits or road blocks at there. I make this argument as a high school dropout that was a pot head for years.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:21 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
???????

Typical "internet doctor". I find it surprising the hostility that many people have toward physicians.

We tend to rely upon data and actual studies. Cognitive impairment has been shown conclusively with pot use- no question. The cognitive impairment is on par with alcohol.

Oddly, pot smokers tend to have lower rates of auto accidents compared to those impaired by alcohol. Why? People who are intoxicated with alcohol tend to underestimate thier degree of impairment, while those using pot tend to overestimate impairment.

THE EFFECT OF CANNABIS COMPARED WITH ALCOHOL ON DRIVING
What's your point? You just pointed out pot users have a lower accident rate compared to alcohol users. Not surprising, in the least. Congrats on admitting that. And again, this thread isn't about smoking pot while on the job. You seem to be unable to separate being high on the job & being high at home. Completely unrelated. Maybe you should back out of the conversation since you can't seem to stay on topic.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:40 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
hawkeye is spot on. I am assuming the op was talking about a pot head (most everyday user)You people arguing his points are comical. I voted yes a small percentage can. But I will say that they will not perform at 100%. They are putting a handicaps on there self so they will never be at peak form. You just can not tie your brain behind your back and perform at your best. Yes you can act like a pro and get very far , but you can't tell me you are not putting limits or road blocks at there.
Doesn't matter what roadblocks people put in their own way, and people do all the time, not just drugs, but family, friends, hobbies interests. It's their choice to place those roadblocks there for themselves. As long as they meet the requirements of the position they're in, then they meet the requirements. People are not cut breaks because they're having a bad day, or getting divorced, or their pet goldfish died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
I make this argument as a high school dropout that was a pot head for years.
So are you claiming that pot made you drop out of school? Or is that just a convenient excuse? Here's the problem, no one cares you were a pot head, I'm all for people using whatever they feel they need to get through the day, but they need to perform in their role regardless, if someone needs to take out 15 minutes to whack off in the john, or smoke a joint, or pop some pills, snort some blow, or drink a cup of coffee, I really don't care and I really don't want to know, all I care about is that they perform to expectations.

If someone messes up my brakes, or screws up a surgery on me, because they're stoned is that worse than if they screw up because they're inattentive because of getting divorced, or having financial difficulties, or ill, or distracted by the pretty nurse or customer, or having a panic attack and need to go hide somewhere until they get a grip? No not really, a screw up is a screw up, the reason for it is irrelevant to me, so they're getting divorced, it's their responsibility to ensure it doesn't affect their professional life. So they're smoking some weed, it's their responsibility to ensure it doesn't affect their professional life. So they have clinical depression and are on Zoloft, it's their responsibility to ensure it doesn't affect their professional life.

People seem to think that professionalism is about not doing anything stupid, and it's totally not, it's about performing to the best of your ability regardless of external distractions. If someone can't be professional while smoking some weed, they probably can't be professional period.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:33 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I'm just going to come out and say this.

Human society is based on the use of mood altering substances. Think about this for one second before you commit it to the junkpile. Every single tradition or ceremony we have contains the use of a mood altering substance, big traditions like holidays, and little traditions like barbecues, even things like the Christian mass rely on a mood altering substance (wine, normally bad though apparently not cheap). I mean dig a little, coffee, tea, chocolate are all mood altering, and alcohol is certainly mood altering, tobacco is (while it may not be apparent the lack of tobacco demonstrates that it's certainly mood altering) and sex. That's even before we get into the known biological substances like cannabis, peyote, opium, coca and datura, and the pharmacopeia of modern mood altering substances.

So for millennia the human race has produced members of society who are productive and regular users of mood altering substances. Before there was a society the use of mood altering substances was probably significantly more limited, because there was limited or no access to coffee, tea, chocolate, booze, tobacco, cannabis, peyote, opium, coca or datura and clearly no modern medicine, and sex has the unfortunate side effect of progeny which when you're not part of a society can be a little more than you can handle, and of course the risks to health of the pregnant person. So why over the last century or so has this become a huge issue that needs to be dealt with by laws? I mean before 1938 you could go to a pharmacy and buy a bottle of laudanum (opium tincture). However suddenly (historically speaking) it's an issue.

Here's an interesting contradiction. If some people need mood altering substances prescribed by physicians to be productive members of society (benzodiazapines, SSRI, SRI's, NDRI's, Adderall, Ritalin, etc.), then clearly others can be productive members of society regularly using mood altering substances prescribed by their personal sense of well being. However many people claim that drug users cannot be productive members of society, that being so, what are the people who can only function in society using medically prescribed mood altering substances? Productive or not, and if not, then why bother to prescribe a substance that is ineffective (because I was always under the impression that psychiatric medications were to make people more functional than without the medication). There really isn't any difference in mood altering drugs used recreationally to those used medically, they both act on brain chemistry to alter it's balance.

I would say if one counts all the mind altering substances Americans use on a regular basis probably 90 percent of the populous consumes some sort of drug.

think about it.. how many people use weed, alcohol, synthetics, prescript opioids, coke, meth caffeine, nicotine and a whole other assortment of nasty stuff.. so just the fact that their is such a high percentage of people that do some sort of mind altering substance, suggest that tens of millions hold productive lives & careers..

80 to 90 percent of the world opioids are consumed by Americans in a world with 7.3 billion.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:27 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times
Yes. I know people who are stoned 24/7 and hold decent white-collar jobs and pay all their bills and taxes on time and aren't endangering anyone.

Last edited by KonaldDuth; 05-01-2016 at 11:09 PM..

Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nah. Stoners only think they are doing well. Everyone else is laughing at them.

Pot gradually erodes your decision making ability and in the end, you're just a pothead. Nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies