Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 04:16 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,836 times

Advertisements

I am a conservative, but I want to give a shout out to you liberals, you guys are the ones who really pushed the issue and finally it looks like the war on marijuana is finally turning. Thank you. I always thought it was weird how conservatives use to shout freedom and personal liberty, but no you can't smoke a plant. WHAT?

I am being dead serious, I think there are some real freedom issues that every USA citizen can agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 04:20 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Heres the real issue. Many of us are cops, doctors, nurses, pilots. Do you really want us to be smoking cannabis? We are tested both at employment and randomly and the employers universally will terminate a person who tests positive for many substances including THC. Screw freedom. Fly straight.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:32 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Heres the real issue. Many of us are cops, doctors, nurses, pilots. Do you really want us to be smoking cannabis? We are tested both at employment and randomly and the employers universally will terminate a person who tests positive for many substances including THC. Screw freedom. Fly straight.
Why do you guys keep thinking we don't care if you smoke while working? That's not what we're talking about.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why do you guys keep thinking we don't care if you smoke while working? That's not what we're talking about.
SO....you maintain that you can smoke and the next day go to work? You may want to evaluate this:

The half life of a drug is the amount of time it takes for measured amounts in the bloodstream or urine to decrease by half. The half life for THC is long, because THC is stored in the body’s fat cells (THC is highly lipid and not easily dissolved in water). Therefore, the blood plasma and urinary half-life of THC are best estimated at 3 – 4 days after ingestion. But depending on the quantity of THC ingested and frequency of use, half life may even extend to 10-12 days after ingestion.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:50 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
SO....you maintain that you can smoke and the next day go to work? You may want to evaluate this:

The half life of a drug is the amount of time it takes for measured amounts in the bloodstream or urine to decrease by half. The half life for THC is long, because THC is stored in the body’s fat cells (THC is highly lipid and not easily dissolved in water). Therefore, the blood plasma and urinary half-life of THC are best estimated at 3 – 4 days after ingestion. But depending on the quantity of THC ingested and frequency of use, half life may even extend to 10-12 days after ingestion.
Yep, that's what I'm saying. Are you saying you don't have a drink in the evening & then go to work the next day? A hint: drinking the night before work affects you. Pot doesn't, whether you care to believe it or not.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:11 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Nor can he pass a legitimate drug test

Are you saying we should accept someone who chooses to alter themselves purposefully in critical positions

Do you think a nuclear operator is a critical position?

Does any user here feel that critical positions should not be filled with users?

Classical I'm OK syndrome

Now..I can't see any nuke plant today not drug testing it's employees...too much money..too much liability on the line to have people with substances in their body that alter the mind

The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled it to be unconstitutional to randomly drug test employees in almost ALL situations. He's been employed there for 5 years, so if he is getting them, they must know exactly when it's coming. And, even then, it is for assessing CURRENT impairment.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:12 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:

You are absolutely wrong about this.

The metabolites that are stored in fat cells are NOT psychoactive. That is not conjecture, it is not a fringe idea, it is established scientific fact. The only people holding on to that myth are law enforcement agencies where they care more about money and arrests than they do science.

So here is some stuff that you may want to evaluate:

The Scientific Basics of THC and THC COOH (carboxy THC)

Quote:
Being lipid (fat) soluble and not water-soluble (most medication is water-soluble) it is stored in the fat cells of the body for quite long after any impairing impact of the active THC remains. It may be found weeks or longer after the intake of marijuana, while the impairing effect of the active delta-9 THC may be almost gone within three hours more or less.
Quote:
Since the metabolic process of the body converting (metabolizing) active THC into inactive carboxy COOH THC takes some hours, the presence of the inactive metabolite is arguably exculpatory, (showing a lack of guilt) because it indicates that the consumption was possibly not recent but was at least hours before the sample, blood or urine, was collected. The impairing effect of active THC appears to be most pronounced from about ½ hour to three or 4 hours after intake. This does NOT correspond to the blood level of active THC. The level in blood reaches a maximum almost immediately, and just as quickly drops in blood. This delay between blood level and impairment is described as “counterclockwise hysteresis.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11-nor-9-Carboxy-THC

Quote:
11-COOH-THC is not psychoactive itself, but has a long half-life in the body of up to several days (or even weeks in very heavy users), making it the main metabolite tested for when blood or urine testing for cannabis use. More selective tests are able to distinguish between 11-OH-THC and 11-COOH-THC, which can help determine how recently cannabis was consumed; if only 11-COOH-THC is present then the cannabis was used some time ago and any impairment in cognitive ability or motor function will have dissipated, whereas if both 11-OH-THC and 11-COOH-THC are present then the cannabis was consumed more recently and motor impairment may still be present.
Quote:
Some jurisdictions where cannabis use is decriminalized or permitted under some circumstances use such tests when determining whether drivers were legally intoxicated and therefore unfit to drive, with the comparative levels of THC, 11-OH-THC and 11-COOH-THC being used to derive a "blood cannabis level" analogous to the blood alcohol level used in prosecuting impaired drivers. On the other hand, in jurisdictions where cannabis is completely illegal, any detectable levels of 11-COOH-THC may be deemed to constitute driving while intoxicated, even though this approach has been criticized as tantamount to prohibition of "driving whilst being a recent user of cannabis" regardless of the presence or absence of any actual impairment that might impact on driving performance.
Drugs and Human Performance FACT SHEETS - Cannabis / Marijuana ( D 9 -Tetrahydrocannabinol, THC)

Quote:
Interpretation of Urine Test Results:

Detection of total THC metabolites in urine, primarily THC-COOH-glucuronide, only indicates prior THC exposure. Detection time is well past the window of intoxication and impairment.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:29 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I hope things will get cleared up but I still wouldn't want one operating on me and mine.
I'm just being entirely rational.

If someone has a track record, then anything that alters the circumstances that the track record was created in, will cause a change in performance that diverges from that track record. The change may be for the better, or the worse, and until you find out you won't know.

So if there is a doc, who is the world #1 and a complete dope (whatever definition you want to use for dope) fiend, but has been for his entire career. I would prefer that doc not go about getting all religious about their behaviors prior to performing a surgery on me, I know my risks when they're a dope fiend, because they're comparable to their past medical history I don't know my risks when they're not.

Now that's not to say that I want my completely Methodist doctor shooting up a speedball before performing neurosurgery on me, in that instance I'd like him to attend a quiet prayer meeting, and spend some time in quiet contemplation. I'd just like my doc's who I've probably vetted to ensure they're the best my expenses can cover, to perform according to their track records without interruption.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yep, that's what I'm saying. Are you saying you don't have a drink in the evening & then go to work the next day? A hint: drinking the night before work affects you. Pot doesn't, whether you care to believe it or not.
If I'm working the next day I don't drink. You can believe anything you want but the science clearly shows that cannabis stays in your body for many days. If you have a job where people depend upon you it would be unsafe to assume your reactions would be normal. If you want to deny it, no one can help you.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:13 PM

Raddo I can produce as many studies showing my position as you can showing yours. There is a reason that airlines, hospitals, truck drivers who test positive for cannabis or alcohol or number of others (meth, opioids or benzodiazepines) are terminated. You may want to factor that in to your analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies