Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:59 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,946,702 times

Advertisements

OP, perhaps you should look up to see who the founding fathers of this country were.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:01 PM

26,444 posts, read 15,041,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes, and citizens of the U.S. are for the most part of immigrant descent, not many native Americans anyway...
Technically, all humans who live outside of Africa are descendants of immigrants, including Native Americans who came from Siberia. That doesn't mean we should support open borders as a wise policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
You would do me and everyone else a BIG favor if you could provide some specifics, back-up, justification for why you write the rest you do about what "many liberals thought along these lines." Maybe a few choice quotes and names would help, because me thinks you are also propagandizing a bit. Actually more than just a bit...

You want to finger a primary suspect in terms of policy to bring immigrant labor to America? I highly recommend you consider who needed that labor, why, and who might have profited most. If they were primarily liberals, I'd like to know that too. Facts please!
If you think I am propagandizing by saying that many liberals historically thought along the lines in my post than you have a poorer understanding of history than I first thought.

FDR and labor leaders opposed immigration during high unemployment.

Ben Franklin's views on German immigrants as not assimilating and a threat to democratic culture.

The Knights of Labor opposed Asian immigration.

Teddy Roosevelt's Gentleman's Agreement.

The AFL opposed Asian immigration.

Margaret Sanger of Planned Parenthood fame, supported restrictive immigration including immigration restrictions based on the health and well being of the individuals.

Etc...

Once again, I repeat: "We the people refers to the citizens of the US. Our government is here for us citizens as its primary role. One can argue that open borders or mass immigration without enough assimilation could be harmful to most US citizens while helping elite business owners and elite politicians.

Historically speaking, many liberals thought along these lines."

Ironically, your initial post in this thread is propaganda, not mine. You over generalized according to biases, while ignoring legitimately held positions by the opposition to justify their stance to push people towards your skewed position.

You sir, posted propaganda in a diatribe and then lashed out with ignorance when confronted with a fair perspective that differed.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:05 PM

26,444 posts, read 15,041,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It is important that the next time you roll your eyes at a Republican making absurd comparisons to demonize the opposition that you look in the mirror and realize that you are the opposite side of the same coin.

America would be better off if we discussed facts rationally, fairly, and without demonization - then maybe we could accomplish more together.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:07 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,875,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Contrary to what a lot of conservative white males think, I as a minority and most minorities on the street, don't have an issue with white men. The only issue I have with white men are those who are willfully ignorant of the issues surrounding people different from them. I have issue with the ones who consciously put down non-whites and regard everyone who isn't Caucasian as inferior. Those are the white males that disgust me. Oh yes, there's also plenty of white women who hold the same beliefs, but they pale in comparison to white men. Everyone else I'm cool with.
I ain't got no problem with brown people, in fact I am married to one. I got a problem with brown people who label every white who aint liberal racist.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,875,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
It is important that the next time you roll your eyes at a Republican making absurd comparisons to demonize the opposition that you look in the mirror and realize that you are the opposite side of the same coin.

America would be better off if we discussed facts rationally, fairly, and without demonization - then maybe we could accomplish more together.
You are talking to someone who compares the Republican Party to the Taliban. He is not hear to debate in a rational manner. He is here to demonize the opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.