Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 PM

7,515 posts, read 11,328,316 times

Advertisements

Do Blacks get tougher punishments than whites even when they commit the same crimes and have similar records?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:29 PM

29,460 posts, read 16,443,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Do Blacks get tougher punishments than whites even when they commit the same crimes and have similar records?
You are asking an opinion based question, when there is actual data out there to answer your question.

Racial Disparity | The Sentencing Project

Wide Racial Divide in Sentencing - WSJ

https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/f...bmission_0.pdf

Old 05-02-2016, 10:35 PM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
Black female judges could play a role in this?

I once read a true crime book, and there was a black man in Michigan facing a court trial with a black female judge.

"Oh crap! Black female judges are the worst! Sure as shootin', she'll put me on Death Row!"

Female judges, in general, tend to pass out the stricter prison sentences, particularly if the crime involves violence!

That's why I never vote for any female running for a judgeship! Judge Judy? Never!

Old 05-02-2016, 11:41 PM

29,460 posts, read 16,443,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobomillionaire View Post
The reality is more complex than the data because the data is flawed. It doesn't take into account the most important thing in the criminal justice system, money. Your guilty until you can pay your way to innocence and than when sentencing comes how much the judge respects your attorney or public pretender comes into play.
Your argument that data is flawed based on money more proves the argument im making, not contradict it.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:02 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,100,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobomillionaire View Post
No it doesn't. Because the topic is discussing whether or not blacks get tougher judgements for the same crimes. They don't, except when they are poorer than the white defendant. There happens to be more poor black people than white so the numbers gradually shift. If you were to provide data on blacks that use court appointed attorneys vs whites that also use public pretenders your data would no longer be flawed and would probably reflect the opposite of what your current data shows, instead of lumping all whites and all blacks together like they are two monolithic groups.
I'd disagree. I'd still say black people get tougher sentences. That's been my experience.

We also get stopped much more often than some other races (although we're not the only race targeted).

Even some of the drug laws are designed to target black people more harshly. And then you even have one of the Founders of the Drug Wars stating that the laws are being used to discriminate.

I think there's plenty of evidence there.

From a black man.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 AM

1,100 posts, read 631,385 times
Statistics have shown a trend in tougher sentences for minorities period, as well as more sentences for non-violent crimes.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:20 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,893,138 times
Yes-this is proven.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:28 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,424,207 times
It's not as prevalent as people think. I've seen minorities get let go by judges even when they had a rap sheet a mile long and it was their 5th offense. How do you think they get such a long rap sheet? They keep getting let go to commit another crime.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:34 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,101,253 times
I don't know if they get tougher sentences, but in Georgia- they are much more likely to get paroled. This keeps the racial imbalance in prison not quite so extreme. Also, many are habituals, so the system knows they will soon be back. The one time offenders usually do most if not all of their time. It's all about money- release the ones you know will come back, and keep the others in. Ever wondered why while watching the news you hear "He's 23, and has been arrested 37 times for......- why isn't he still in prison?! Now you know why.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:22 AM

24,332 posts, read 17,065,160 times
I don't know if black guys get harsher sentences than other races but it seems like they do get into more trouble and I blame their culture and the hoods where they live. I know this is opinion but it is based on what I have experienced.

Take any average city and you have nice areas and not so nice areas. The not so nice are often populated by minorities and street life is a big part of their lives. We often hear of young black guys that have rap sheets that go on and on. There are many common things to blame like the lack of father figures, peer pressure, a desire for "street cred", rap music that extolls a criminal life.

I know if I did something stupid as a teen and was caught by the Police that I would then stop the no good I was up to and get on the straight and narrow. Why don't black kids do that? I would think the first time they are picked up for breaking the law that there would be so much shame from family and friends that they would never break the law again yet they go on to do it again and again.

How many of us would actually jump up on a police car and smash the windows? How many of us would get out and loot if given the chance?

I think it is the black culture that makes them habitual trouble makers. The "thug" life has been glorified in music and movies. Most of us have the common sense not to break the law. Most of us know that if we do that the cops will come down on us. Why can't young black men understand this? It makes me think that they are like a junkie who knows the next hit could kill him just like the next crime could get them arrested and sent to prison.
Is the desire to commit crimes that overwhelming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies