Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:08 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,541,958 times

Advertisements

A new report, which reveals the consistent salary gap for women. Who said favor was fair? Evidently, this report should drive change and women of color need to choose different majors and occupations. Overall, great data to have if you like doing research.
https://www.dol.gov/wb/media/economi...n_of_color.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
A new report, which reveals the consistent salary gap for women.
BS....

Quote:
Wage Gap
In 2014, women continued to have lower median annual earnings than men of the same race or ethnicity. Women who worked full-time, year-round earned 78.6 percent of men’s earnings in 2014.
This is simple average, what it does not account for:

• Women typically have shorter careers because they take off time to rear children, less experinece on average equals less pay. .
  • Women choose careers that on average pay less whether you are male or female.
  • Women are less likely to work overtime.
  • Women typically do not go into very dangerous and high paying occupations.
That's the short list.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:58 AM

1,100 posts, read 633,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
BS....

This is simple average, what it does not account for:

• Women typically have shorter careers because they take off time to rear children, less experinece on average equals less pay. .
  • Women choose careers that on average pay less whether you are male or female.
  • Women are less likely to work overtime.
  • Women typically do not go into very dangerous and high paying occupations.
That's the short list.
Agreed.

Quote:
The gender wage gap is largely due to personal choices. For example, men are more likely to major in STEM fields. Women enter and leave the work force at a much higher rate than men. Men are more likely to have dangerous jobs and work longer hours. Etc. Etc. But here's another reason: women are more likely to accept less. We're less likely to negotiate our pay and ask for raises than men. *Generalization
I recently realized that I was doing the same thing. In the past, I've been doing speaking engagements for free and sometimes even paying my own way (flight + hotel cost) to get there. Public speaking requires hours of writing/researching a speech, practicing it, promoting the event, traveling, giving the speech, etc. Plus, the opportunity cost of what you could have been doing with your time (in my case, making YouTube videos and hanging out with my cats on the weekends).
Then, I found out that the conference organizers are paying men around the same level as me a LOT more to speak at the same events. I was alerted to this by my male colleagues and I couldn't believe it.
This isn't the conference organizers fault. Of course, they prefer free speakers who pay their own way. It was my fault. I wasn't asking for it.
Kind of an eye opener.
So, please know your value and ask for it.

- Julie Borowski

Old 05-03-2016, 02:20 PM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Important to note, I think, that if you took a snap shot of similar statistics for blacks and/or women not all that many decades ago, you would be able to point to those numbers and make the same case that blacks really ____________ (fill in the blank) about working good jobs, and women _____________ (fill in the blank) about filling jobs like being a fire fighter or policeman.

Fast forward, and despite how those statistics or demographics of the work force might have looked back then, today we have far better representation of blacks and women in a broader range of jobs, positions of responsibility, even leadership. Even black and women police officers and firefighters! Imagine that!

I'll leave it to you to believe what you will about how those changes came to pass, but you can bet they didn't come from the likes of these sorts of presumptions about what blacks and/or women are more likely to do vs white men, and just like what you see today in these same respects, you will see differently a decade from now, like it or not...

Old 05-03-2016, 04:25 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Important to note, I think, that if you took a snap shot of similar statistics for blacks and/or women not all that many decades ago, you would be able to point to those numbers and make the same case that blacks really ____________ (fill in the blank) about working good jobs, and women _____________ (fill in the blank) about filling jobs like being a fire fighter or policeman.

Fast forward, and despite how those statistics or demographics of the work force might have looked back then, today we have far better representation of blacks and women in a broader range of jobs, positions of responsibility, even leadership. Even black and women police officers and firefighters! Imagine that!

I'll leave it to you to believe what you will about how those changes came to pass, but you can bet they didn't come from the likes of these sorts of presumptions about what blacks and/or women are more likely to do vs white men, and just like what you see today in these same respects, you will see differently a decade from now, like it or not...

How about you fill in your own blanks and show us how you really think?

Old 05-03-2016, 04:30 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Let's cut to the chase:

What kind of regulation and taxes can we implement so the numbers jive...you know...so we all feel good?

Old 05-03-2016, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
How about you fill in your own blanks and show us how you really think?
If you can't figure out what I really think from that comment, then me filling in blanks won't help you none.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Let's cut to the chase:

What kind of regulation and taxes can we implement so the numbers jive...you know...so we all feel good?
What kind? Well the most cost efficient that best accomplish the intended goal(s) of course!

Next?

Old 05-03-2016, 04:42 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
What kind? Well the most cost efficient that best accomplish the intended goal(s) of course!

Next?
What if I want to work at a job for $1 a week?

My goal might not be your goal.

In fact, based on our convos I think it's a safe bet.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:56 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
If you can't figure out what I really think from that comment, then me filling in blanks won't help you none.

Oh no, I know exactly what you mean, but since your comment is not directed directly at me, we need everyone to understand how you think and feel.

Now, fill in the blanks....unless you just don't want people to now who you really are....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies