Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 10:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Nice story bro! What does it have to do, with being equally as strong as anyone else, no matter your stature.

If everyone was armed, the only fear you would have would be running your mouth.
Horse pucky! Being armed has not prevented ANYONE from running their mouth. Running your mouth has more to do with a lack of plain old civility and common sense therefore, being confronted by someone armed is not going to suddenly endow anyone with a higher I/Q.

The only strength that has ever mattered in the long run is the muscle between your ears, jacked up 4X4 pick-ups and firearms will never replace that.

You actually suggesting people should be shot for running their mouths? Half of America would be dead by tomorrow and your prime presidential candidate would be the first to go.

If everyone were armed there would be even more of you running your mouths. That's the whole plank of that platform giving those of you without the common sense to ignore mouth running or to resist in engaging in it yourselves the false gonads you seem to need to get through a normal day.

Most kiddies outgrow the need for a pacifier after their first teeth come in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 11:55 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I don't get what you're saying here. That if everyone was armed smack talk would turn into a shoot out?
So that's why you need to make sure you have the largest weapon?

If you have a bigger gun than I, you have better capabilities. We would not be equal.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yeah, that works so great.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2618098

I'd like to think that civility came form mutual respect for other people as humans, not from fear of instant lethal retaliation. If I were to find myself in a gorilla enclosure, I'd do my very best to not offend any of the inhabitants, but hardly out of a desire to be civil, much less out of respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Horse pucky! Being armed has not prevented ANYONE from running their mouth. Running your mouth has more to do with a lack of plain old civility and common sense therefore, being confronted by someone armed is not going to suddenly endow anyone with a higher I/Q.

I take it, you were never taught about the reason there were duels, sanctioned by the law, using matched firearms and before firearms, swords/sabre.

People ran their mouths back then too and murder has never changed.

Last edited by BentBow; 05-06-2016 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-06-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I take it, you were never taught about the reason there were duels, sanctioned by the law, using matched firearms and before firearms, swords/sabre.

Oh well, that's made everything much clearer; you're in a race to regress to the 1700's.

Beer, popcorn and a chair on stilts so I can watch your epic pillow fight is still my desire.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:13 PM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
You of course think think you would have been among the, oh, 5% or so for whom duels were countenanced?

Duels were an upper and upper-middle-class phenomenon, and those ranks were much thinner back then. Fencing skills in particular take free time and money for teachers to acquire - unless you're a soldier, of course. (That's why every government, ever, has tried fiercely to outlaw duels among its armed forces. You spend all that money training officers and then they kill each other about a stupid insult. But I digress...) You think a pauper with a set of dueling pistols could challenge the big men in his society?

Quote:
People who "ran their mouths" to someone above their standing weren't challenged to a duel, nor would their challenge ever be accepted. The offended party would send his stablehands and gamekeepers around to beat up the offender. Officers, of course, a file of soldiers. Extra points if the spectacle could be made public and humiliating.

If you like a spot of common thuggery to maintain social order and ensure a proper servile attitude among the less fortunate, the time when duels were popular was exhibit #1. But in the context of "making people equal", that has to be the worst example you could pick.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:15 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,574,700 times
If there was a molecule of truth to the thread title then you Yankees would not have lost the war in Vietnam so badly!!!!

Old 05-06-2016, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh well, that's made everything much clearer; you're in a race to regress to the 1700's.

Beer, popcorn and a chair on stilts so I can watch your epic pillow fight is still my desire.

There is a reason.... No regression it still happens daily today(I want to kill you for offending me). If you offended me by running your mouth, your mortality could be in jeopardy and it would not be murder. You watched what you said and did to others back then. Who change and amended the 2nd amendment to make it so the government could litigate it as illegal?
Today you run your mouth and someone is going to get hurt, just the same as then.(is that why you are scared of more & more people being armed? You will be afraid to run your mouth?)

Old 05-06-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You of course think think you would have been among the, oh, 5% or so for whom duels were countenanced?

Duels were an upper and upper-middle-class phenomenon, and those ranks were much thinner back then. Fencing skills in particular take free time and money for teachers to acquire - unless you're a soldier, of course. (That's why every government, ever, has tried fiercely to outlaw duels among its armed forces. You spend all that money training officers and then they kill each other about a stupid insult. But I digress...) You think a pauper with a set of dueling pistols could challenge the big men in his society?

People who "ran their mouths" to someone above their standing weren't challenged to a duel, nor would their challenge ever be accepted. The offended party would send his stablehands and gamekeepers around to beat up the offender. Officers, of course, a file of soldiers. Extra points if the spectacle could be made public and humiliating.

If you like a spot of common thuggery to maintain social order and ensure a proper servile attitude among the less fortunate, the time when duels were popular was exhibit #1. But in the context of "making people equal", that has to be the worst example you could pick.

Less fortunate? If you could not afford a pistol, the judge had a matched set.
Duels were legal from the inception of this nation and the US Constitution, and 120 afterwards. Duels were still legal in many places well into the 1900's.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
If there was a molecule of truth to the thread title then you Yankees would not have lost the war in Vietnam so badly!!!!

That had nothing to do with the bigger gun, if you are not going to use it!

Old 05-06-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
There is a reason.... No regression it still happens daily today(I want to kill you for offending me). If you offended me by running your mouth, your mortality could be in jeopardy and it would not be murder. You watched what you said and did to others back then. Who change and amended the 2nd amendment to make it so the government could litigate it as illegal?
Today you run your mouth and someone is going to get hurt, just the same as then.(is that why you are scared of more & more people being armed? You will be afraid to run your mouth?)

Who said I was scared of more and more people being armed? Amused maybe but probably more disgusted that in the 21 century America is going freak'n backward on the social development scale due to the irrational fear they have of their fellow citizens.

All this "tough" talk is giving me a migraine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies