Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 10:57 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times

Advertisements

Sad...and she has a nerve. I would have told her that since she's obviously overweight, it will all equal out when I'm paying for her medical bills later on, as she is much more susceptible to disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 11:04 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” James Madison--The Father of the Constitution
I really like James Madison!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Madison, on the House floor during debates on a Cod Fishery bill in February 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Madison, in a letter to Andrew Stevenson dated 27 Nov. 1830
Consider for a moment the immeasurable difference between the Constitution limited in its powers to the enumerated objects, and expounded as it would be by the import claimed for the phraseology in question. The difference is equivalent to two Constitutions, of characters essentially contrasted with each other--the one possessing powers confined to certain specified cases, the other extended to all cases whatsoever; for what is the case that would not be embraced by a general power to raise money, a power to provide for the general welfare, and a power to pass all laws necessary and proper to carry these powers into execution; all such provisions and laws superseding, at the same time, all local laws and constitutions at variance with them? Can less be said, with the evidence before us furnished by the journal of the Convention itself, than that it is impossible that such a Constitution as the latter would have been recommended to the States by all the members of that body whose names were subscribed to the instrument?
Anyone who has studied the history of our nation and its government knows clearly what the Founding Fathers referred to when they discussed the general welfare. Looking back at the Articles of Confederation, the Founding Fathers wrote:

Madison made it very clear that the term/phrase general welfare was copied from the old Articles of Confederation and included in the new Constitution, and that the term/phrase general welfare retained the same meaning in the new Constitution that it had in the old Articles of Confederation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Madison, in the Virginia Resolutions of 1798
That the General Assembly doth also express its deep regret that a spirit has in sundry instances, been manifested by the federal government, to enlarge its powers by forced constructions of the constitutional charter which defines them; and that indications have appeared of a design to expound certain general phrases (which having been copied from the very limited grant of powers in the former articles of confederation were the less liable to be misconstrued) so as to destroy the meaning and effect of the particular enumeration, which necessarily explains and limits the general phrases; and so as to consolidate the states by degrees into one sovereignty, the obvious tendency and inevitable consequence of which would be, to transform the present republican system of the United States, into an absolute, or at best a mixed monarchy.
To clarify, Madison later wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Madison, in the Virginia Report of 1799-1800

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 05-04-2016 at 11:14 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 11:06 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You didn't actually state what that middle ground might be in the real world. You only envisioned what it might be in your "ideal world." You actually said, "In my ideal world."

So what is the middle ground here?
The middle ground is somewhere between the absolute accusations thrown by each side at the other.

Sorry. I thought that was obvious when I stated, In my ideal world, communities, rather than the Federal Government and its loathsome bureaucracies, would be responsible for assisting needy members of the communities, that some, but not all welfare is desirable, and that we need (should) not use absolutes when debating the issue.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 05-04-2016 at 11:20 AM..

Old 05-04-2016, 11:09 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
Pretty sure that woman has an account on CD.com
Oh, you know it.

This woman would be the same poster that would be in the Curt Schilling thread and whine about not being able to say what they want about whomever they want, because it's the "truth".

Old 05-04-2016, 11:18 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
My take is and who am I, just another poster like many of you.

Whether you like it or not, keep your mouth shut, because no one knows the situation of another person. Ok yes some people do screw the system. But on the other side, there are many who do not want too, and need assistance a little help.

People today and we have helped this situation, think they have a right to be in other people's business. As this situation, I have seen people first hand make fun of others who to them are not there ideal in looks etc. None of us are perfect are we.

Some people truly need help for a period of time, and get off soon as things get better in their life.

Was not her place to say anything in my opinion. Stare if you must but zip the mouth.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:21 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Meh. People say all kinds of things that demonstrates what douchbags they are. Compared to some of the comments of people attacking Trump supporters, or the moronic things BLM supporters say about police and white people, this pales in comparison. Rude, but hardly news.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:33 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I also don't buy that he works 50 to 60 hours weekly, otherwise, it would be almost impossible to qualify for food stamps getting that much OT weekly. But that's not the point of the post.
Not true- its based off family size and income with allowances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Food stamps are for lazy free loaders.
Except the ones that work and arent lazy or free loaders....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Food stamp users SHOULD feel ashamed unless they physically cannot work.
Ashamed they pay into the same system you do but need to feed their families?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The lady in the video did not show much class and she looked like she enjoyed being mean. However I must say I feel irritated when I see people buying food on foodstamps that is far better than what I can afford. Why do I have to eat mac n cheese while those people eat steak on my dime? Why are they buying name brand items??? I get the store cheapie brands. I work hard and seeing people freeloading off the rest of us rubs me the wrong way. I get that some people get laid off, fall on hard luck and yes I understand it could happen to me as well, BUT we all know most of these people have made a life out of collecting from the rest of us. I don't have a problem helping out people who temporarily fall on tough luck, but there should be limits. Also anyone collecting from the rest of us should have to do community service to compensate for the benefits given to them. Why should they not join a work group cleaning up highways on the weekend, or removing graffiti from buildings, or cleaning up parks?? I am sick of those of us who are producers getting fleeced by those who are not. ALSO...... those who are collecting welfare, foodstamps etc should lose the right to vote while they are collecting. Why should those who are actively collecting from the rest of us get to vote themselves more free money??? Yea just another reminder why I vote conservative republican.
You CHOOSE to eat mac n cheese rather than buy a steak, thats not my problem. We can buy brand name or store. I dont make a life out of getting stamps and neither do most people. We work, same as you. There is a WORK requirement in most states. Here in Ohio, you have to work at least 20hrs OR be looking for work OR disabled. We shouldnt be treated like prisoners for food.

and wth should we lose the RIGHT to vote?????!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Stop all food stamps. Can't afford to feed your kids? How bout you cross your legs and don't have any?
Maybe you should cross your legs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why? Don't they get fed in the military?
Umm, no, the military doesnt have a giant FREE grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I don't think the military feeds the families (children, spouses) of those in the military, do they? Also, if not deployed, the military person would live at home and still needs to eat.
exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Honestly, I do get disgusted at the sheer
numbers of people I see using food stamps,
getting free housing, free school lunches,
toys for tots, etc.
And the reason is because
they're always immigrants or
minorities in this city.
BTW they're well dressed, nails done, tons of kids, with luxury vehicles & nice homes.....
gee I wonder how that works....?

So in this video- I feel that for once it's an actual American guy- why shouldn't he get a little help??
Refugees, illegal immigrants & everybody else is scamming the system....

Let the American guy be.
Not everyone on foodstamps gets vouchers, Sec 8 or free lunches. You can get 1 of those and not all. Im on foodstamps and wear goodwill clothes, homeschool, live in my families house from 1920 in an ok neighborhood with a used vehicle with 3 kids......Sorry, i burst your bubble with REALITY.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:40 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
People on food stamps don't need to be making babies.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:50 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
People on food stamps don't need to be making babies.
I agree.
There needs to be a mandatory birth control program for anyone on welfare.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:55 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I agree.
There needs to be a mandatory birth control program for anyone on welfare.
and that program should definitely include stupid people too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies