Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:59 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times

Advertisements

It's pretty interesting because at this point all the Presidents since after Carter have what would have once been considered mixed families- the Reagans have an African granddaughter, the first Bush have a Hispanic daughter in law, the Clintons have a Jewish son in law, and Obama is mixed. Also McCain has an Asian daughter and Romney a black grandchild. It really shows how far we have come from the days when being White & protestant were all but a prerequisite to acceptance in higher echelons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 12:09 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I really don't understand what is so wrong with this ad. If you don't want to date or marry to people outside your race, good for you. But why other people's preferences such a big deal to you? lol Live and let live. Life is easier this way.
Because the ads now show 90% of couples are bi-racial. Last time I checked, they account for about 1/2 of 1% of the population.
This is just the latest push for more multiculturalism, and Americans are not blind to it.
Now you understand.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:10 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
OP I agree with you whole-heartedly. There are many, too many, in this country that live life looking out the rear view mirror instead of the windshield. The ironic thing about a lot of these people is that they claim to be "Christian." I've never met Jesus, but if he did exist, and taking into account what part of the world he was from, he wasn't Caucasian. I see a lot of this what I call "backwoods mentality" in rural areas. All you can really do is shake your head
Jesus could not have been fair complected and survived living in the desert, even the Bible states, he had hair like lambs wool.
I mean all you have to do is look to where he lived and was born.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:24 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Because the ads now show 90% of couples are bi-racial. Last time I checked, they account for about 1/2 of 1% of the population.
This is just the latest push for more multiculturalism, and Americans are not blind to it.
Now you understand.
blacks make up only 15% of our population. but they appear in all sorts of ads and TV shows. are you PO'd about it? unfreaking believable find a new hobby. knitting perhaps.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:26 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Now you understand.
Give me a reason why I should be bothered? How is showing interracial couples in add going to hurt ME personally? What bad is it for me?

Old 05-04-2016, 12:28 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
At least one of the couple involved was not a Walrus.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:29 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Now you understand.
Oh look, something else to whine about. This must be that faux outrage, again.

Most lucid, normal people saw this ad, and thought nothing of it. Then there's the rest, who are threatened by any and everything that doesn't look like them.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:31 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Quote:
Now you understand.

I am shocked at only 1/2% to 1% of the population being biracial couples. When you factor in Asians, Indians, Blacks, whites & Hispanics I see inter racial marraiges all the time. And I live in a Southern state. Throw in religiously mixed marriages and we are a pretty mixed nation.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:41 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Oh look, something else to whine about. This must be that faux outrage, again.

Most lucid, normal people saw this ad, and thought nothing of it. Then there's the rest, who are threatened by any and everything that doesn't look like them.
I thought little when I saw it. Never cared. This is something I have found. For as much hate as the Old Navy ad got, there is more to look at.

The Cheerios commercial received some of the worst hate one could see. The comment section had to be shut down. 30 seconds of an interracial family. The commercial was family friendly. Contrast this with scandal. This is a television show with a Black female being the mistress to the President, who happens to be a White male married to a White woman.

I notice for as much as White male/Black female couples face prejudice, it is worse for any interracial couple involving a Black male. Black male/any non-Black female couples face more prejudice. This Old Navy ad getting hate is a small part of other things going on.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:47 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I thought little when I saw it. Never cared. This is something I have found. For as much hate as the Old Navy ad got, there is more to look at.

The Cheerios commercial received some of the worst hate one could see. The comment section had to be shut down. 30 seconds of an interracial family. The commercial was family friendly. Contrast this with scandal. This is a television show with a Black female being the mistress to the President, who happens to be a White male married to a White woman.

I notice for as much as White male/Black female couples face prejudice, it is worse for any interracial couple involving a Black male. Black male/any non-Black female couples face more prejudice. This Old Navy ad getting hate is a small part of other things going on.
Exactly. If this was an Asian woman and a white male with an Asian or white kid, this wouldn't be a topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies