Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:37 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,546,477 times

Advertisements

Italy's highest court has ruled that stealing small amounts of food when in desperate need is not a crime because the need for food and nourishment justifies the act.

They overturned the arrest and 6 months jail sentence of an elderly homeless man caught stealing a sausage and some cheese from a supermarket worth about $4.50

The article states that Italy has financial problems and the number of poor is growing by around 615 people a day and that many elderly are forced to steal to have food.

I am glad they sympathized with this man and I wonder if they should do the same here in the US?

Stealing Small Amounts Of Food When In Desperate Need Is Not A Crime, Rules Italy's Highest Court
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 09:47 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
I agree. There have been times where I was almost desperate enough to do that, and times where I relied on free samples at food courts in malls to eat. (Moved out at 17 with nothing, worked/paid my way through college).

It's a sad situation that should be prevented and discouraged, and the potential for abuse is there, but guidelines can mitigate that somewhat. And really, is it worth forcing the taxpayers to fully pay their incarceration room and board, just for stealing a few bucks worth of food from a store?

A guy here in the US was recently sentenced to life in prison for stealing a chocolate bar. Glad to hear that Italy has a bit more sense than that.

I don't see the US following suit though. The culture here is far too vengeful and punishment-thirsty, to the point of harming itself more in the long run.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:50 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

A guy here in the US was recently sentenced to life in prison for stealing a chocolate bar. Glad to hear that Italy has a bit more sense than that.
Was the chocolate bar thief destitute? If not you are comparing apples to oranges. The Italian court did not rule everyone can steal food.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Was the chocolate bar thief destitute? If not you are comparing apples to oranges. The Italian court did not rule everyone can steal food.
If I recall correctly, he was. Now granted, he was a repeat offender, so he definitely shouldn't get off the hook completely (I'd say mandatory community service for a while would be fair), but life in prison is beyond extreme.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:55 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If I recall correctly, he was. Now granted, he was a repeat offender, so he definitely shouldn't get off the hook completely (I'd say mandatory community service for a while would be fair), but life in prison is beyond extreme.
I agree, the three strikes and you are out (and similar laws) should be abolished.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:59 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,477 times
The two incidents are not at all comparable. As I recall, the chocolate bar thief was a habitual criminal, and the theft of the chocolate bar triggered a severe sentence because of multiple convictions. He knew what the consequences would be if he chose to continue to commit crimes. It is also likely that we are better off with that particular individual behind bars.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Anyone caught stealing food should be given years of hard labor, a number (24601) and tracked by a obsessed policeman forever if they violate parole ..

Old 05-04-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Anyone caught stealing food should be given years of hard labor, a number (24601) and tracked by a obsessed policeman forever if they violate parole ..
Hey Kim Jong-un. Wanna play some basketball today?

Old 05-04-2016, 10:49 AM

73 posts, read 56,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Sure thing, Mr. Valjean.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I am glad they sympathized with this man and I wonder if they should do the same here in the US?
Theft is never justifiable.

There are free food pantries for the Poorâ„¢ and TV news with millions of viewers to come to the rescue of the destitute, not to mention Food Stamps.

The only thing that will happens is grocers will raise the price of food-stuffs to counter the effects of theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Was the chocolate bar thief destitute?
Good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies