Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 06:07 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times

Advertisements

For those defending these girls actions, I guess you would be ok with the "white power" or "Nazi salute" hand symbol too correct? :roll eyes:

I personally don't care that these girls did what they did. I'm not part of the "easily offended" crowd. I just don't like the double standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 06:12 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
But they didn't give the Nazi salute. Soldiers and athletes of any gender or color raise their fists in triumph. And they've been raising their fists in triumph for thousands of years before BLM existed.

I think black female West Point cadets might feel triumphant just because they are black female West Point cadets. And they'd be right to feel triumphant, IMO.

Pride may not be exactly what we think we know it as, San Francisco State University professor's study says - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
What does being black have to do with it though? Why not be proud to accomplish what they have as human beings regardless of race?

Old 05-09-2016, 06:32 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It would?

These guys heiled?

Christ, some people here need their safe space.
Sorry Dane but you have it the other way around. These Olympians and these cadets used their platform of accomplishment to display the Black Power Fist and the Black Power Fist is the salute of a militant organization that is most decidedly not the US Army.

That being said, I would guess that most of the women in the photo were just hamming it up, however, the "ringleaders" should be reprimanded for suggesting the salute and that's too bad because a reprimand for a West Pointer at this stage in their military career can be very damaging.

There are several articles about this in the media, and by the tone of all the people who have been interviewed, even the strong advocates for the women know that this is a serious issue.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
But they didn't give the Nazi salute. Soldiers and athletes of any gender or color raise their fists in triumph. And they've been raising their fists in triumph for thousands of years before BLM existed.

I think black female West Point cadets might feel triumphant just because they are black female West Point cadets. And they'd be right to feel triumphant, IMO.

Pride may not be exactly what we think we know it as, San Francisco State University professor's study says - tribunedigital-chicagotribune
You are deluding yourself.

Btw the Swastika was used by many cultures before the Nazis got a hold of it

Old 05-09-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Long ago (1965) I wore cadet military uniforms very similar to the young women cadets at West Point. I had attended Pennsylvania Military College in Chester PA. That college no longer exist.

My first thought on that photo was: where are the female White or Hispanic cadets? We did not have segregation back in the military in 1965. Our military was integrated because we were being trained to fight for our Country; all the people in our Country and not just one race. Our dorm rooms were intergraded, our mess hall was intergraded, our classes were intergraded - we worked as a 'team'.

In 1965 our Country was changing. There were many lingering 'haters' from the past. But our military was one of the leaders for changing attitudes. It is just hard for me to look at any picture of all Black, all White, or all Hispanic in one of these 'graduation' pictures without seeing the problems that they reflect. Apparently we are no longer operating as a team.
Now that's a good effing question.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:50 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Black Power fist??

Ok. To those who want them reprimanded. Take down all of the Conservative flags all over the country on any gov property.

And that won't be the end.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The only thing I see is a group of very capable women showing their pride in the Army and themselves.

As an aside I wonder why the Academy uniform is looks like the confederate officers uniform of 1861?

Old 05-09-2016, 08:58 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The only thing I see is a group of very capable women showing their pride in the Army and themselves.

As an aside I wonder why the Academy uniform is looks like the confederate officers uniform of 1861?

That is almost the same uniform I wore in 1965 at Pennsylvania Military College in Chester, PA. If you do one Google search for Valley Forge Military College uniforms; you will also see some pictures of some of their uniforms that are similar. This has been traditional military college attire for perhaps a century or more.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Black Power fist??

Ok. To those who want them reprimanded. Take down all of the Conservative flags all over the country on any gov property.

And that won't be the end.

Be careful what you wish for.
That's a deal, as long as we both admit that the "conservative flags" (whatever that even means) and the black power fist displayed by these cadets are inflammatory, racist and exclusionary.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:25 AM

788 posts, read 512,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
In other words, Black women should not be in a military academy, right?

'Running the show.' WOW, you got a whole lot more out of that article than I did! What's your secret? Edgar, Edgar Cayce, is that you???
It's amazing how you can see things that aren't there, but can't seem to understand what IS there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies